Qatar 2022

arwebb

Take it off them now! Here's an idea, give 2022 to the USA (2022 runner up) and give 2026 to Asia (Qatar's Federation) and the let the 2022 bidders Australia/Japan/Korea and China fight it out.

Not the worst idea in the world!

The US does not even have a national soccer league. Screw FIFA and screw the World Cup, no need to deal with those corrupt weasels. We have enough in Washington...

Wow. This stuff is a top story here in Canada on the CBC.

Wish I could say the same, Fox is talking about some Marine that got jailed in Mexico claiming that it's all a diversion from the VA Scandal cooked up by the 'Liberal Media' while the so called 'Liberal, Pro-Obama media' is bashing Obama over his West Point Speech, Russia, AND the VA Scandal.

Yep...American media is so Probama...

it's cute when you play at international lawyer, but your logic leaps -- like implicating 2018 -- are much more far fetched than a face-saving revote at this point.

as for a costly legal battle? yes, it's possible. they could always strip qatar of the games and go from there. besides, you don't even know what these hosting contracts say. nobody does.

Before the vote, sometime in the summer. The British media reported that Spain/Portugal and Qatar had agreed on a vote swap that would give each bid at least 7 votes. FIFA did its usual song and dance and it went away only to have Spain/Portugal recieve exactly 7 votes in both rounds. If Qatar's bribery and underhandedness is exposed, the true nature of this agreement could be exposed as well. This is one aspect of this that I know 100% to be against the terms of bidding, FIFA said so themselves at the time. If one implicates the other and neither vote is considered free and fair, how can FIFA justify to the courts to only revote on one and not the other?

And your final point is exactly my point, only FIFA and the Qataris know what is in the agreements. All we can speculate is that this will be messy and expensive if FIFA does move down the path to revote 2022.

The US does not even have a national soccer league. Screw FIFA and screw the World Cup, no need to deal with those corrupt weasels. We have enough in Washington...

Wish I could say the same, Fox is talking about some Marine that got jailed in Mexico claiming that it's all a diversion from the VA Scandal cooked up by the 'Liberal Media' while the so called 'Liberal, Pro-Obama media' is bashing Obama over his West Point Speech, Russia, AND the VA Scandal.

Yep...American media is so Probama...

If the USA doesn't have a 'national soccer league' what's MLS?

This made it to the front of the News cycle here in NZ...Big ups to Australia if Qatar is stripped of it's hosting rights which could be as early as next week.

This is BIG.

Before the vote, sometime in the summer. The British media reported that Spain/Portugal and Qatar had agreed on a vote swap that would give each bid at least 7 votes. FIFA did its usual song and dance and it went away only to have Spain/Portugal recieve exactly 7 votes in both rounds. If Qatar's bribery and underhandedness is exposed, the true nature of this agreement could be exposed as well. This is one aspect of this that I know 100% to be against the terms of bidding, FIFA said so themselves at the time. If one implicates the other and neither vote is considered free and fair, how can FIFA justify to the courts to only revote on one and not the other?

And your final point is exactly my point, only FIFA and the Qataris know what is in the agreements. All we can speculate is that this will be messy and expensive if FIFA does move down the path to revote 2022.

If the USA doesn't have a 'national soccer league' what's MLS?

MLS is for both Canada and the US. In case you have not noticed, soccer is not a US thing. We may be apart of MLS, but you do not see us proposing to hand over Olympic stadiums to them. If you look at a US World Cup bid most of the stadiums are American Football ones. So yes, the US does not have a truly National Soccer League. Are only league is one with Canada...

This made it to the front of the News cycle here in NZ...Big ups to Australia if Qatar is stripped of it's hosting rights which could be as early as next week.

This is BIG.

And it's sad...hope Oz gets them if they bid again and a re-vote happens.

(regarding my first reply)

I'm not saying that having a league with Canada is a bad thing, but the US does not have a NSL like France, Germany, Spain, etc.

I guess you could say we have a Pan-American League, but no truly national one.

Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad al-Thani: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Switzerland-Soccer-WCup-2022-Announcemen

Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad al-Thani: MOMMY theyre trying to take my cup!!!!!!

_50272693_766qat.jpg

Sheikha Moza bint Nasser Al-Missned: Hey FIFA you better back that sh!t up, we'll give up the cup when you pry it from our cold, dead hands.

Sheikha+Moza+bint+Nasser+Al+Missned+FIFA

Sheikh Mohammed bin Hamad al-Thani: I love you mommy!

qatar-hug-420x0.jpg

Edited by paul

Wow. This stuff is a top story here in Canada on the CBC.

Was just about to say how it's a top story here in Australia. Several commentators saying Australia was robbed and we should be given the games. I find it funny because we came last with one vote. We should only get them if the USA, South Korea and Japan say no.

MLS is for both Canada and the US. In case you have not noticed, soccer is not a US thing. We may be apart of MLS, but you do not see us proposing to hand over Olympic stadiums to them. If you look at a US World Cup bid most of the stadiums are American Football ones. So yes, the US does not have a truly National Soccer League. Are only league is one with Canada...

I'm not saying that having a league with Canada is a bad thing, but the US does not have a NSL like France, Germany, Spain, etc.

Ligue 1 is a multinational league. Doesn't change the fact that it is still the French Ligue 1. And if you haven't noticed hockey, baseball, basketball, soccer, lacrosse, arena football, college sports and pretty much anything other than American football is shared between Canada and the USA. We tend to be very close.

Edited by faster

Was just about to say how it's a top story here in Australia. Several commentators saying Australia was robbed and we should be given the games. I find it funny because we came last with one vote. We should only get them if the USA, South Korea and Japan say no.

While I don't think we would have won - even without Qatar's meddling.. the corruption makes you wonder how many votes Australia did lose?

• Like 1

Ohhh just heard that apparently Australia paid $500 000 to some trinidad and tobago voter/head.

And yeah we probably lost a couple of votes but acting like we were robbed is just plain ridiculous.

Bonita Mersiades is on an Australia news show and is saying that she believes Sepp Blatter should resign and she also said that apparently the same people behind Qatars bid were behind his FIFA presidency bid and she is now suggesting he is corrupt.

C'mon Mr. Bernham, the MLS is a national league. It's creation was necessary for the US to get the World Cup in 94, and it only just recently added Canadian teams. There's also the USL and the US Open. America has it's own soccer pyramid.

• Like 1

So I guess neither the United States nor Canada has a national hockey league either since.. oh wait, that's exactly what it's called! National Hockey League!

And that's extremely ignorant to say that soccer is not a US thing. That argument has been used for years and it's becoming less and less true. Look at the number of soccer matches televised in this country, including ones played elsewhere. Soccer here will never be as big as football or baseball or basketball. It will never be as important to Americans as it is to the English or the Germans or the Brazilians. Doesn't mean it's not our thing.

And with regard to the stadiums.. yes, most MLS teams play in stadiums designed for their teams that are smaller than their NFL counterparts. But they'd use NFL stadiums for a World Cup because they're bigger and there would be no trouble filling them. Which World Cup still holds the record for highest total attendnace? USA 1994. 4 World Cups since then failed to top that number and that's with 64 games total instead of 52. So tell me again how soccer isn't a US thing?

Ridiculous. The MLS is our national football league. It's an American League that allows a few Canadian hangers-on.

By your rationale we don't have a national hockey league either (NHL). In fact, according to your logic, we don't have a national baseball league either (MLB). Both the NHL and MLB have Canadian teams.

If that's true then the National Basketball League and Major League Baseball aren't American either.

MLS is for both Canada and the US. In case you have not noticed, soccer is not a US thing.

The Seattle Sounders average over 44,000 per match, which is better than average in the Premier League. Admittedly they are an outlier, but average MLS attendance has also exceeded MLB's and the sport is growing fast in the USA as more kids play soccer and fewer play baseball and American football.

This is BIG.

Nothing will happen "as early as next week". For the time being, all eyes will be on Brazil, and once Spain has lifted the trophy in Maracana, it's time to look ahead if FIFA is really willing to act, which I don't see happening just yet. After all, Asia has 40+ votes in the FIFA President elections, and while they may not be a monolith block, Blatter would first have to see how to get the Asian and possibly African-Arab federations on his side in this matter before stripping Qatar barenaked.

Stripping Qatar barenaked of what? If FIFA strips Qatar of the WC, it's because the WC wasn't Qatar's to begin with. For sure, it'll take time before anything happens, and FIFA needs all the proof necessary before acting. But whether FIFA gets AFC's blessing or not should be irrelevant.

Stripping Qatar barenaked of what? If FIFA strips Qatar of the WC, it's because the WC wasn't Qatar's to begin with. For sure, it'll take time before anything happens, and FIFA needs all the proof necessary before acting. But whether FIFA gets AFC's blessing or not should be irrelevant.

What should be irrelevant or not actually IS irrelevant in Blatter's world. You could do a thorough investigation and come to the conclusion that Qatar is taken away the hosting rights. Or you could do backroom deals with whatever interested parties and come up with any pretext either way. My bet is on the latter.

So I guess neither the United States nor Canada has a national hockey league either since.. oh wait, that's exactly what it's called! National Hockey League!

And that's extremely ignorant to say that soccer is not a US thing. That argument has been used for years and it's becoming less and less true. Look at the number of soccer matches televised in this country, including ones played elsewhere. Soccer here will never be as big as football or baseball or basketball. It will never be as important to Americans as it is to the English or the Germans or the Brazilians. Doesn't mean it's not our thing.

And with regard to the stadiums.. yes, most MLS teams play in stadiums designed for their teams that are smaller than their NFL counterparts. But they'd use NFL stadiums for a World Cup because they're bigger and there would be no trouble filling them. Which World Cup still holds the record for highest total attendnace? USA 1994. 4 World Cups since then failed to top that number and that's with 64 games total instead of 52. So tell me again how soccer isn't a US thing?

Plus, unlike most countries, any US Bid would mean zero white elephant stadiums when the hosting is over with.

All of this is Blatter's work. Blatter has never been fond of Qatar hosting it, and voted for the USA himself. His strongest opponent in the upcoming FIFA president election, Platini, bid however vote for Qatar. Ask yourself why Qatar bought PSG in May 2011. Then Al Jazeera bought the Ligue 1 domestic TV-deal in June 2011. As well as Qatar Airways placing a massive order on planes from Airbus in 2011. Suiting a French economy in crises perfectly.

True...Blatter didn't support Qatar!

I do like the idea of USA stepping in as host, instant mega stadia...Could send it to England but for that you'd need to award them '22 within the year.

Big ups to Australia if Qatar is stripped of it's hosting rights which could be as early as next week.

Australia's own bid was corrupt and dirty

If not worse than Qatar as it was using Australian taxpayers money to grease the plans of corrupt 'consultants' and Jack Warner's pockets rather than oil money

Frank Lowy should've paid for it out his own pocket rather than Kevin Rudd stupidly wasting the peoples money on a pie in the sky folly

^^ But that might have been a conflict of interest. Which was also why Frank Lowy's Westfield group wasn't a spobsor of the bid.

Taxpayer money would alwats be considered during any sporting event bid. We were just foolish to think we stood a chance.

I was already suspicious when Blatter said in that interview that awarding the World Cup to Qatar was a mistake. I mean, Blatter talks a lot of cr*p most of the time, but this time around, I thought that this might hint to something more that is going on behind the scenes and that there's a real trend within FIFA to take the World Cup away from Qatar.

Now that those new allegations against Bin Hammam have become public, I think it's certain now that Qatar will lose the World Cup. Honestly, I was hoping for such a development since that shameful host country election in 2010, but doubted that such a scenario would ever become reality, bearing in mind the stubbornness of Blatter and his supporters within FIFA and the strong financial interests behind a Qatar World Cup.

But in the end, history will show that besides all the corruption apparently having taken place behind the scenes of the 2022 host country selection, Qatar never really was up to the job. The deeply shameful and undignified situation of workers at the venue construction sites and in Qatar in general plus constant doubts whether one could really play a World Cup in such extreme climatic conditions plus the ongoing discussion whether or not one should shift the World Cup to the winter of 2022/2023. All that was a bad omen already, and it showed that it might have been a wet dream for greedy FIFA officials and marketing honchos to stage the World Cup in such a completely new market, but in the end, it was only a dream that now seems to pop in the most shameful of all fashions.

In the end, I think that Blatter and the whole gang should resign - but I fear that that (and not even Blatter's resignation alone) won't happen. They will somehow find a way to sneak out of that mess yet again, even if they are covered not only with dirt, but with sh*t now. The FIFA executive is a deeply rotten disgusting assembly of scumbags and they shouldn't be responsible for ever hosting events in that actually wonderful sport again. If I could make any decisions, I would scrap the whole organisation of FIFA and start completely anew from scratch, with new persons with a clean vest, with drastically increased transparence (not only in choosing the World Cup host countries) and with a moral code that implies drastic consequences whenever one violates that code.

Those are naive thoughts, I know. The world of sports politics and sports management is somewhat greedy and rotten anyway today, and I guess that a drastic change in that culture is asked far too much. But I hope for at least partial changes for the better. The world of sports needs it if it doesn't want to lose also its final remains of credibility.

• Like 1