Qatar 2022

arwebb

Japan ready to take over Qatar's 2022 World Cup

April 1, 2014

TOKYO: Japan is ready to hold the 2022 World Cup if FIFA strips Qatar of hosting rights over corruption allegations, the country's football chief says.

Japan Football Association (JFA) president Kuniya Daini said the country, whose capital Tokyo will stage the 2020 Olympics, would step in if required.

"If FIFA look for an alternative country, we already have the stadiums that would meet the criteria to host it," he said in an interview.

"We have the Olympics in 2020. If there is a chance, we'd like to do it, although I don't know how likely that would be."

The chance of Qatar losing hosting rights appears remote despite an investigation by FIFA's ethics committee, headed by former US district attorney Michael Garcia, into the much-criticised bidding process.

Qatar has also come under fire for its treatment of foreign construction workers, with figures obtained by AFP in February showing that 450 migrants from India alone had died over the past two years -- about 20 a month.

And there is a row over whether to hold the Qatar World Cup in the intense heat of the desert summer or in winter, which is mid-season for many domestic leagues.

Japan, one of the countries that lost out to Qatar for the 2022 World Cup, has experience of organising the tournament after co-hosting the 2002 edition with Asian neighbours South Korea.

Daini said Japan also hoped to bring back the Club World Cup, which it has hosted six times before, and hold the 2023 Women's World Cup.

AFP

Politically speaking, I think it would be much more palatable for Japan to take over than it would be for the US.

Uhmmm... Korea's not going to like that... It should be the US. It was runner-up #2.

Not if the United States doesn't want FIFA's sloppy seconds.

Let Japan have it if they want. Let them be responsible for cleaning up FIFA's mess and then USSF can go after their own bid for 2026 and get awarded a World Cup on their own merits.

Not if the United States doesn't want FIFA's sloppy seconds.

Let Japan have it if they want. Let them be responsible for cleaning up FIFA's mess and then USSF can go after their own bid for 2026 and get awarded a World Cup on their own merits.

I disagree. There are back-ups. Just like in the Int'l beauty pageants, of which an Olympics is not so very different-- the runner-up is the back-up beauty queen ready to take on the duties if the winner fall thru. It was rightfully the US' if Qatar did not cheat.

• Like 1

stfu japan. no one likes you, go away.

Shocking comment.

Uhmmm... Korea's not going to like that... It should be the US. It was runner-up #2.

We do not need to care even if Korea dislikes single-host by Japan. Not again co-hosting.

Interesting that more potential replacement hosts are coming out of the wood work. Japan, England, USA, all would be preferable to the mess in Qatar, but the likelihood of FIFA stripping the World Cup from Qatar is slim to none. The political fallout would be immense and I doubt FIFA would want to deal with it no matter how much evidence is turned up indicating bribery or how many thousands of workers die on World Cup related construction projects.

• 3 weeks later...

Qatar maids detained by authorities after having passports confiscated

Hundreds of migrant workers who have had documents seized by employers are being held for months in deportation centre

The "widespread" practice of confiscating low-income workers' passports in Qatar has left hundreds languishing for up to a year in the Gulf state's deportation centre, the Guardian has learned.

Amnesty International has uncovered evidence linking the Qatari government to the practice. Some employers gave domestic workers' passports to authorities at the interior ministry if workers absconded, the human rights group discovered. "This practice suggests that the government may implicitly accept the principle that domestic workers do not hold their own passports," says an Amnesty report, "My Sleep Is My Break": Exploitation of Migrant Domestic Workers in Qatar, published on Wednesday.

All of the dozens of domestic workers the Guardian met in Qatar during an investigation in January had been forced to hand over their passports to employers. François Crépeau, the UN special rapporteur on the human rights of migrants, met just one worker who had managed to retain his passport when he visited the Gulf state in November.

The man was in the overcrowded deportation centre in which more than 1,300 people were detained. Visitors to the female quarters of the building on the outskirts of the capital, Doha, have described seeing babies and up to three women sleeping on a single mattress.

More @ http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/apr/23/migrant-maids-qatar-deportation-centre-passports-confiscated?CMP=twt_gu

JFA boss apologises to Qatar

Japan's football chief has apologised to Qatar 2022 FIFA World Cup organisers after he reportedly stated his country was ready to step in as a replacement host - and insists he fully supports the decision to stage the tournament in the emirate.

Kuniya Daini, president of the Japan Football Association (JFA), has sent an apology to Qatar 2022 claiming he was mistranslated in an interview.

In a letter to Qatar FA president Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Bin Ahmad Al Thani, a copy of which has been seen by Press Association Sport, Daini wrote: "It is a fact and a decision by FIFA that [the] 2022 FIFA World Cup will be held in Qatar. We, Japan Football Association, fully support the hosting by Qatar with confidence that it will lead to further development of football in Asia.

"You will have our full support for the success of the biggest event in football."

Japan had bid against Qatar for the right to host 2022, and Tokyo is hosting the 2020 Olympics.

Daini's letter continued: "The article... was not based on the facts or actual remarks I made during the interview.

"At the same time I wish to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience or misunderstanding this may have caused to you and all the other concerned parties."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1187523/JFA-boss-apologises-to-Qatar

I was raving about Dubai to my barber (who is an Arab). He had a sad look on his face and said to me that Dubai has two faces and I didn’t get to see the other horrible face: the one he experienced for couple years working in that city.

• 2 weeks later...
Sepp Blatter: awarding 2022 World Cup to Qatar was a mistake

Sepp Blatter has admitted it was "a mistake" to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar because of the extreme heat players will face in the Gulf state.

Speaking to Swiss channel RTS, the Fifa president said: "Of course, it was a mistake. You know, one makes a lot of mistakes in life.

"The technical report indicated clearly that it was too hot in summer, but despite that the executive committee decided with quite a big majority that the tournament would be in Qatar."

Blatter insisted however that Qatar had not "bought" the World Cup – the bid did spend large amounts of money on sponsorship and development programmes.

He added: "No, I have never said it was bought, but that it was due to political considerations. We know full well that big French and German companies work in Qatar but they don't just work for the World Cup. The World Cup is only a small part of what is going on in Qatar."

Asked about his future at the helm of Fifa, Blatter again indicated he would stand for a fifth term in next year's election. "At the moment I say I want to finish my mandate well. Of course I am willing to continue," he said.

A decision on whether the tournament will be moved from summer to the winter in eight years' time has been postponed by Fifa until after next month's World Cup finals in Brazil.

Fifa later released a statement that attempted to clarify Blatter's comments.

"The comment by the Fifa president concerning the organisation of the 2022 Fifa World Cup in Qatar to Swiss TV station RTS is in line with previous comments on this matter," it read.

"As explained in his answer to the journalist, the president reiterated that the decision to organise the World Cup in summer was an 'error' based on the technical assessment report of the bid, which had highlighted the extremely hot temperatures in summer in Qatar. At no stage did he question Qatar as hosts of the 2022 Fifa World Cup."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/16/sepp-blatter-qatar-2022-world-cup-mistake

Sepp Blatter: awarding 2022 World Cup to Qatar was a mistake

Sepp Blatter has admitted it was "a mistake" to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar because of the extreme heat players will face in the Gulf state.

Speaking to Swiss channel RTS, the Fifa president said: "Of course, it was a mistake. You know, one makes a lot of mistakes in life.

"The technical report indicated clearly that it was too hot in summer, but despite that the executive committee decided with quite a big majority that the tournament would be in Qatar."

Blatter insisted however that Qatar had not "bought" the World Cup – the bid did spend large amounts of money on sponsorship and development programmes.

He added: "No, I have never said it was bought, but that it was due to political considerations. We know full well that big French and German companies work in Qatar but they don't just work for the World Cup. The World Cup is only a small part of what is going on in Qatar."

Asked about his future at the helm of Fifa, Blatter again indicated he would stand for a fifth term in next year's election. "At the moment I say I want to finish my mandate well. Of course I am willing to continue," he said.

A decision on whether the tournament will be moved from summer to the winter in eight years' time has been postponed by Fifa until after next month's World Cup finals in Brazil.

Fifa later released a statement that attempted to clarify Blatter's comments.

"The comment by the Fifa president concerning the organisation of the 2022 Fifa World Cup in Qatar to Swiss TV station RTS is in line with previous comments on this matter," it read.

"As explained in his answer to the journalist, the president reiterated that the decision to organise the World Cup in summer was an 'error' based on the technical assessment report of the bid, which had highlighted the extremely hot temperatures in summer in Qatar. At no stage did he question Qatar as hosts of the 2022 Fifa World Cup."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/16/sepp-blatter-qatar-2022-world-cup-mistake

He also alluded, during the interview, to political pressures from both France and Germany prior to the votes .

He mentions a meeting Platini had with Sarkozy, then French president, at the Elysée palace where the the emir of Qatar was also present.

Seems to me 'Splatter' is trying to get rid of a possible rival prior to next year's election at FIFA whilst trying to distance himself from those who voted for Qatar.

Very devious!

But then again, what do you expect?