Qatar 2022

arwebb

Well, the MLS commissioner isn't mincing his words and said yesterday he'd be quite happy for the US to be a replacement host...

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/19/mls-commissioner-don-garber-says-qatar-world-cup-could-be-a-monumental-disaster/

Well off course he would. It would likely propel MLS even further.

England needs a fair few stadium upgrades and most of their stadiums do not meet the peripheral requirements of FIFA for fan zones, security and other land uses that FIFA stipulaltes that should be directly around the stadium. It was their biggest weakness during the bidding for 2018. Spain doesn't have the money to step in. Japan has events in 2019 and 2020.

Spain doesn't need to do any major work, the infrastructure is mostly there already. Even the renovation of Camp Nou should go ahead at the end of decade. The only big question mark is Valencia's new stadium. Having said that, I don't think Spain would be very likely to host, probably USA or some other loser of 2022 race would replace Qatar

Spain doesn't need to do any major work, the infrastructure is mostly there already. Even the renovation of Camp Nou should go ahead at the end of decade. The only big question mark is Valencia's new stadium. Having said that, I don't think Spain would be very likely to host, probably USA or some other loser of 2022 race would replace Qatar

I personally think Russia and Qatar should get Hosting Rights taken away from them, here in England, we Host 2018, Australia Host 2022.

Tony if I see you say England should be given the hosting rights one more time I will throw my computer. This is really getting old pal. There's nothing wrong with Russia hosting in 2018 and 2022 should go to a reliable recent host like the US or Germany. England game dead last in 2018 voting. Why the hell do they deserve to have the hosting rights handed to them? Tony, you are staring to sound very entitled and obnoxious.

The whole process was corrupt. We had by far the strongest Bid IMO.

Tony if I see you say England should be given the hosting rights one more time I will throw my computer. This is really getting old pal. There's nothing wrong with Russia hosting in 2018 and 2022 should go to a reliable recent host like the US or Germany. England game dead last in 2018 voting. Why the hell do they deserve to have the hosting rights handed to them? Tony, you are staring to sound very entitled and obnoxious.

+100

And using "IMO" we get its your damn f/king opinion. :rolleyes:

+1000

All bets are off the table. To FIFA's mind, if only the events of December 2010 did NOT happen. But they can still undo the mistakes. I mean...who will it alienate? Only the Russians and the rabid muslims...who'll still want to be in the mix of things anyway.

Unfortunately for FIFA, those events did happen. Can't really undo that. If FIFA re-awards the 2022 World Cup to another country, they still have the little matter of how to break it to the Qataris and explain to them the justification for taking the World Cup away from them. Who will it alienate? How many people were up in arms that the London 2012 logo was some sort of Zionist conspiracy? What will they think of this? A complete and total slight to an Arab country that was supposed to represent that whole region of the world. That won't be taken lightly. The issue isn't so much Qatar not hosting the World Cup as it is FIFA telling them that they're not hosting it.

Tony, haven't you learned enough about bidding for the Olympics and World Cup and other events to know that the strongest bid doesn't always win? And that sometimes there are other geopolitical factors at play that determine the winner? From FIFA's standpoint, it can be justified how they chose Russia, even if not that choice seems a little less transparent. You can bemoan England's losing all you want, but enough with this whiny sad sack attitude that England got unfairly screwed over.

• Like 1

If FIFA re-awards the 2022 World Cup to another country, they still have the little matter of how to break it to the Qataris and explain to them the justification for taking the World Cup away from them. Who will it alienate? How many people were up in arms that the London 2012 logo was some sort of Zionist conspiracy? What will they think of this? A complete and total slight to an Arab country that was supposed to represent that whole region of the world. That won't be taken lightly. The issue isn't so much Qatar not hosting the World Cup as it is FIFA telling them that they're not hosting it.

And this is the problem. The fallout from stripping Qatar of the World Cup would be immense. First off, I think there would be some sort of legal action taken by the Qataris though I'm not familiar with how far that could go or the process. The second is the Qataris would likely spin this along the following lines: FIFA didn't take the WC from Qatar because of corruption in the voting process or workers' rights, but they took it away because Qatar is a Muslim country. Yes that story would be ridiculous but among the Arab World, it would spread like wildfire. I could easily see Qatar plus the rest of the Arab League boycotting all FIFA events. I think when this all said and done, FIFA's response will mirror what the IOC did after the Salt Lake bribery scandal. A few individuals will probably be sanctioned or expelled, but that's it. I highly doubt there would be a re-vote. The political fallout would be too much and I don't think FIFA wants to deal with it.

Here's another potential hiccup with Qatar. What if Israel qualifies? Yes they've said Israel would be allowed to participate but given recent events involving Israeli athletes in Qatar (I'm referring to the incident with the Israeli swimmer where Qatar refused to display the Israel flag), I could see a scenario where the Israeli team arrives and then is denied entry into the country. Sounds crazy, but in that situation, what recourse would FIFA have? It's not like they could halt the tournament at that point. There'd probably be some fines levied at the Qatari organizers, maybe the Qatari team would be penalized in the standings, but most likely, FIFA would have to accept the decision and would promise Israel that they would have an automatic slot at the 2026 World Cup.

All I have left to say about the situation is, wake up Fifa. There are so many reasons for taking away the Hosting Rights than against it.

1) Qatar is homophobic.

2) Qatar is corrupt.

3) Qatar is too hot.

4) Qatar is too small.

5) Qatar wouldn't recognise Israel if they qualified.

6) Alcohol would be banned.

7) Lack of Human Rights.

8) Lack of Workers Rights.

9) Qatar has contributed nothing to the World of Football. All they have brought is corruption and greed.

10) Lack of Legacy afterwards.

Am I missing anything? Fifa, wake up and listen to the majority of us people. It's not too late. Just over 8 years until the 2022 Fifa World Cup is enough time for another Country to prepare. Don't worry about Qatar's reaction. Think of Humanity and Sport, instead of Greed, Money and Corruption. As far as I am concerned, Blatter is the main party in the Corruption, yet Bin Hamman (Who yes was also corrupt aswell) was sacked, but Blatter weren't? Also, they have a Fifa investigator. Prove your 'Innocence' by having a neutral, outside source investigate the 'Allegations'. The IOC had the right idea by rejecting Doha for the 2016 and 2020 Summer Olympics. Fifa, prove that money doesn't influence Sport, clear up your act and take away Hosting Rights from Qatar.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^^ Probably the best post you've written since you joined Tony,

Of course, point #11 would be the chaos over dates. And I'm slightly unsure who would sack Blatter. :D

Is the first sentence a good thing?

Right, I know I've said before the issues with a Qatar World Cup, but here it is in detail.

Alcohol:

Whether you drink or not, you can't hide the fact that Alcohol has a big level in Football. Alcohol shouldn't be banned from the Fifa World Cup. Qatar says that they will have drinking zones. Yeah right, like they will.

Scenario if Israel Qualifies:

We all know that there will be trouble if Israel Qualifies for the 2022 Fifa World Cup, again mixing Sport with Politics. Qatar, like the rest of the Middle East, doesn't recognise Israel. Any time who Qualifies, has the right to participate. If Qatar can't handle that, lose the Hosting Rights.

Hot Climate:

Qatar has said they will provide their Stadiums with Cooling Technologies. That's a good idea for IN the Stadium, but what about the outside areas like the fan zones and tourism areas? Fifa hasn't really thought this through.

Homosexuality:

I can't believe this, but being Homosexual in Qatar and the rest of the Middle East is illegal. What is wrong with the Middle East? From their point of view, it's ok to treat Women badly, but not ok to be a Homosexual? All Tournaments should be open to all races, sexualities, Political beliefs and Religion.

Human and Workers Rights:

There is not much Human and Workers Rights in Qatar or the rest of the Middle East. All law abiding citizens deserve Human Rights as far as I am concerned and Qatar doesn't provide that. If your not a male and don't believe what they believe in, your treated badly, which is wrong.

Cost:

Yes, I know Qatar is made of Money and Oil, but still, most of the Stadiums need building from scratch. Where's the feasibility in that?

Lack of Legacy:

Qatar plans to have temporary facilities in place only for the 2022 Fifa World Cup and ship them out elsewhere. Now people can look at that as generosity, but one of the main points of Hosting Large Sporting Events, is to have a future, long term legacy for the citizens. Also, I don't believe Qatar will ship out temporary facilities elsewhere for free. There will be a cost and we all know that.

Press Freedom:

In the Middle East, the press have no freedom. Whether you agree with how the press work or not, they play a major part in Tournaments, bringing us stories to debate on, keeping up to date and adding a bit of drama sometimes.

Conclusion:

Qatar has Hosting Rights taken away.

Anyone who Qualifies (Correction).

Right, I know I've said before the issues with a Qatar World Cup, but here it is in detail.

Here's the only problem with that list.. name 1 of those issues that wasn't known to FIFA in December of 2010 when they awarded Qatar the 2022 World Cup. What has changed since then?