Qatar 2022

arwebb

Sorry, this is bugging me right now and I'm not normally a grammar nerd in that regard, but it's "should have," not "should of." I know when most people say it, it sounds like should of, but that's incorrect. But I digress..

Yea, Qatar never should have gotten the World Cup, but we're past that now. They have it and they're going to host it unless FIFA makes a bad political move and decides to take it away from them. That would be a worse move than awarding it to them in the first place.

Should I be pedantic and point out that "gotten" grates just as much as "should of" this side of the Pond?

Nah, don't think I'll bother. :P;)

I know my identity. I am from London, England.

Ehhh... Basing your identity off of a single place is a bit silly. I'd like to think there's more to you than English Patriotism and grammar errors but you seem to insist that all you are is just a sixteen year old Brit.

How is it that every second post you post seems to have to affirm what you are.

I don't care what you are, if we're being honest here. I'm here for the Olympics. Honestly, is it that hard to keep the discussion on topic and not have to have the last say in everything?

Just don't bother replying to this, anyone. Back to that topic at hand, Qatar.

• Like 1

Isn't it interesting how (according to Wikipedia) Qatar will cost US$220 billion however Sochi costs just US$51 billion

​Rather interesting in comparison, one, the largest multidisciplinary sports competition in the world, is almost 4 times cheaper than a football competition. To be fair, Doha has to construct a lot of stadiums, but it relays puts how expensive this will be into perspective.

Lusail is that City I guess your talking about Rob? A Stadium that will have a Tournament Capacity of 86,250 hosting the Final and after the Tournament, will be downgraded to 20,000. 2022 World Cup will have near enough no legacy for the Hosts. The only Stadiums that will stay afterwards is, Lusail Iconic Stadium (Mostly Downgraded), Khalifa International Stadium, Al Gharafa Stadium and Al Rayyan Stadium (Both Downgraded except Khalifa International Stadium), rest will be torn down. Well done Fifa. Not.

Shouldn't this thread be renamed 2022 Fifa World Cup Qatar. And also, shouldn't it have it's own section like the 2014 Fifa World Cup Brazil has?

Shouldn't this thread be renamed 2022 Fifa World Cup Qatar. And also, shouldn't it have it's own section like the 2014 Fifa World Cup Brazil has?

Tokyo 2020 is closer, is more relevant to the main interest of the board, and doesn't have its own section yet either. Sochi, I think, only got it's dedicated section last year. These only happen closer to the event here.

Actually, it's better than attention is on them. Qatar's progress and construction would still continue unabated even WITHOUT the World Cup. In that situation, no one would mind the plight of the migrant workers. But at least with the spotlight of a World Cup on them; this is something they can't sweep under the rug. So, if anything, that's probably the greatest blessing of giving the World Cup to this pitiful corner of God's good earth.

• Like 2

Actually, it's better than attention is on them. Qatar's progress and construction would still continue unabated even WITHOUT the World Cup. In that situation, no one would mind the plight of the migrant workers. But at least with the spotlight of a World Cup on them; this is something they can't sweep under the rug. So, if anything, that's probably the greatest blessing of giving the World Cup to this pitiful corner of God's good earth.

Always my theory of hosts of big events. I don't think anybody should be ruled out of host because some may consider their politics distasteful (within reason- a North Korea for example would stretch tolerance), but but the flip side is anybody is then open for increased scrutiny and criticism.

Here's a question. Would it be feasible or likely for major countries (who qualify) to boycott the 2022 World Cup?

I'm usually against boycotting, but I take exception for the 2022 World Cup.

It should be easy to "boycott" the World Cup because you can simply not qualify. Don't show up for the qualifying tournament and you won't be in the World Cup.

Politics plays a role in this, though. I doubt any government is going to want to boycott the tournament and enrage the Arab world. (Look at how Russia has responded to the relatively slight snubs the Western world is planning for them in Sochi.) While I get the sense that Western governments aren't too afraid of public protests against them, angering the princes of the gulf is another matter.