Qatar 2022

arwebb

Doha as part of Asia will be stupid to bid for 2024 after Tokyo 2020

if they want they can bid for 2028 .. but as always they will not make the short list

Doubt that the Qatari's (or the Azeri's, for that matter) will even look at it with that type of logic. The way they see it, their real issue was Istanbul getting 2020, cuz back-to-back Muslim hosts weren't going to happen.

Just look at Kazakhstan (still "technically" Asian), & arguably still 'stupidly' wanting to go full-steam ahead with Almaty 2022, despite PyeongChang 2018 (& to a lesser extent Tokyo 2020 & even Sochi 2014). So I don't see the Qatari's thinking any differently, especially when they want to desperately show themselves off to the world as quickly as they can.

I always assumed you were a Brit by the way you write.

I assumed you were Russian with your updates on Sochi, Kazan, & the WC 2018.

Brit? with a very bad English ? How it could be ? :P

for my previous reply I just want to say that what you have said is true .. but not all of the population agree with what happening

and for yoshi I also thought you were Japanese from the name until you clarified that it's the name of mario character and that you are from Bristol

----------

I said this before in one of Sochi threads last year .. I discovered this forums back in 2008 before the 2016 short list

I get back to read a lot of threads in the archive then

my main interest was the Bidding Process ( Host city election day and the Handover ceremony are two of the most things I love about the Olympic movement)

I was a silent reader for nearly two years without membership .. and Rio 2016 silent supporter
I didn't support anything as much before or after the 2016 race .. I was in love with the beauty of the city .. and crazy about their Olympic bid
search more about Brazil, reading more about the country its people and culture ..etc
even if I don't have any relation with Brazil and didn't visit this part of the world in my life
I know all the veteran members here who were in the forums before 2008 .. know a lot about them and their character here and what they wrote about themselves during these years here
you will not find a lot of websites related to the olympic bidding process
inside the game, around the rings and this site .. since 2008 this forums has been my home in the internet .. you will find me here for hours ( well it was more when the forums were more active)
even if I were without Internet connection for some time .. this forums is the first site I visit when I find any connection
after nearly two years .. I finally decided to register late 2009
I choose world atlas as nickname.. which is the name I use in Arabic forums since I was 13 or 14 because of my love for Geography ... I think this have something to do with the bidding process to host events (not just the Olympics)
keep reading the forums as a silent reader but with a membership now.. I discovered SSC forums then ( from Rob or Baron I think ) got to the sports section and find they discuss some of the subjects we discuss here
I registered there as "world atlas" but never activate my membership since then
nearly 3 years later when I decide to be an active member even with still a poor English
My Reading and Understanding English are very good .. I can understand 95% of what is written here .. if there are some unknown/new words for me I use Google translate
but since I don't use the English language much outside the forums/internet my writing skill in English is not that good .. I just lost between words and don't know what to choose to say/write
back to SSC when there wasn't any way to restore my old membership .. I decided to register with new one .. the name was " copa olympic "
copa form " Copa do Mundo" and "Olympic " .. I mean Brazil 2014 World Cup and Rio 2016
with Rio 2016 avatar the people there will think that I'm Brazilian .. or Russian because most of my posts are in Sochi 2014 and Russia 2018 threads
back to our forums .. at the time of London 2012 I decided to be an active member and contribute to the forums I have been reading for nearly 5 years by then and to let the people that I have been reading their posts here for years to know me
Sochi 2014 forums was the least active section so I decide to take the job and updating it
later I decide to do what gotosy doing and bring the news to the forums
---------------------------
back to this thread and Qatar 2022
inside Qatar itself there is no much talk about 2022 world cup
even if you visit the Arabic/Qatari forums you will not find much discussions about 2022
most people do not care about the event and see it as still far away in the future
some people looking forward for the investments and infrastructure upgrade for the world cup .. nothing more
most will not be sad if FIFA decide to take the tournament away from Qatar
maybe except halawala, waqif, and Al-Rayyan in the SSC forums!
for 2024 or 2028 or any future bid from the region we will have the same Weather problem
they can propose late September to early October something like 25 September to 10 October
it's better than July and August but for the European standards it's still very hot for them
the best time for any outdoor sporting event is from November to March
with the TV rights and International Sports Calendar problem it will be impossible to see any Olympic host city from this region in the foreseeable future
  • Like 1

IOC says a 2022 winter World Cup won't affect Winter Games

By Karolos Grohmann
ANCIENT OLYMPIA | Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:10am EDT
(Reuters) - Staging the 2022 Qatar soccer World Cup in winter will not affect the Winter Olympics in the same year, International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said on Sunday.
Bach, who was attending the Sochi 2014 Winter Games torch lighting ceremony in ancient Olympia, said he had had talks with FIFA president Sepp Blatter and was confident the two major sports events would steer clear of each other.
"This is a FIFA discussion and the IOC will not interfere," German Bach told two international news agencies.
"I have spoken with president Blatter a couple of weeks ago when he made the proposal to have the World Cup in November 2022 and we will now follow these discussion in the executive commission of FIFA."
Qatar, which had bid for a traditional summer tournament in a country where summer temperatures top 45 degree Celsius, was awarded the World Cup three years ago in a surprise decision.
The IOC's winter Games usually fall in the first three months of the year.
"I am very sure that there will be a solution in the mutual interest because neither FIFA nor the IOC want a clash of dates for such major world sports events. This is why I am not worries at all," said Bach, who succeeded Jacques Rogge at the helm of the IOC this month.
Officials in the energy-rich Gulf state have repeatedly said they are open to a switch to winter dates but reiterated that despite the extreme heat the World Cup could be staged in summer by building air-conditioned stadiums using newly environmentally friendly technology.
There have already been calls for compensation if the dates are switched and Blatter said this month it may have been a mistake to award a summer tournament to Qatar.
(Editing by John Mehaffey)
Reuters

No matter what, the tournament cannot take place in the summer so they'll have to either move it to the summer or award it to someone else. Still, part of me thinks it would be quite cool to have a world cup in January or February - they're usually the darkest and most depressing months of the year directly after Christmas.

No matter what, the tournament cannot take place in the summer so they'll have to either move it to the summer or award it to someone else. Still, part of me thinks it would be quite cool to have a world cup in January or February - they're usually the darkest and most depressing months of the year directly after Christmas.

Probably not FIFA would lose a lot of viewers with the WOG in the same time frame.

FIFA likely to delay decision on 2022 World Cup dates

1 OCT 2013 - 11:14PM
LONDON (Reuters) - Despite widespread speculation that FIFA will vote to switch the dates of the 2022 World Cup on Friday, soccer's world governing body will probably delay making a decision and instead set up a task force to analyse the huge implications of moving the tournament from the searing heat of the Middle East summer.
Although the executive committee could agree in principle to move the dates of the World Cup, FIFA vice-president Jim Boyce told Reuters it should not rush into a decision and he wanted a task force set up to examine the issue.
"We will discuss when the World Cup will be held (and) we will also consider the plight of immigrant workers in Qatar whose harsh living and working conditions made headlines last week," he said.
Thomas Bach, the new president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), said he doubted the World Cup would clash with the Winter Olympics in 2022, if the finals were moved from their traditional June and July dates, adding that FIFA was likely to opt for November 2022, if it switched.
In a development related to the vexed situation regarding the awarding of the 2018 World Cup to Russia and the 2022 finals to Qatar on the same day in December 2010, Michael Garcia, the head of the investigative unit of FIFA ethics committee, will tour all the countries involved in the bidding processes, he was quoted as saying in France Football on Tuesday.
Garcia, a former U.S. Attorney in New York, is examining allegations of corruption in the voting that led to the awarding of the two World Cups.
A highly-placed FIFA source told Reuters the game's world governing body now had to grapple with a huge political, social and financial problem of its own making.
"This is because the executive committee members who awarded the finals to Qatar in December 2010 ignored recommendations from FIFA's own inspection report group that ranked Qatar second from bottom among the five contenders. They should never have chosen Qatar. It was flawed from day one."
Boyce, who joined the executive committee six months after the vote was taken, told Reuters in a telephone interview from his home in Belfast: "I don't think there is any possibility of a decision being taken about moving the World Cup this week.
"What should happen next is that all the stakeholders, the major clubs from around the world, the major leagues, TV rights holders, sponsors, everyone needs to get around the table and have their say.
"Although UEFA's 54 members have agreed it would be best to move the World Cup away from the summer, all the implications need to be studied in detail.
"And don't forget, we don't need to rush into this. The World Cup is still nine years away, we have plenty of time.
"But we also need to look very closely at the conditions of the immigrant workers who are building the infrastructure in Qatar and will be building the stadiums there for the World Cup.
"I was appalled and upset after last week's stories that dozens of immigrant workers had died as a result of the conditions in Qatar and that thousands of others are being ill-treated. We cannot allow that.
"These people must be protected and their basic human rights safeguarded."
While FIFA president Sepp Blatter and his 27-strong executive committee struggle with the problem of when to stage the World Cup, the political implications of any decision they subsequently make will have far-reaching consequences.
NO WORRIES
Bach, who was elected IOC president last month, told the BBC he was not worried about a clash with the Winter Games.
"So far we have heard a proposal from the FIFA president to have it in November 2022, and there would be no clash whatsoever. We will now see how the discussions go.
"We are confident that in the mutual interest there will be a good solution for both big events and no clash with the dates."
The Winter Olympics are traditionally held in February, and sometimes the final days of January. The 2022 hosts will be chosen by the IOC in July 2015.
A close observer of FIFA's inner workings, who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity, said of the World Cup decision: "The whole process was flawed from the very beginning and right now the FIFA executive committee, with a lot of new members who were not on the executive when the vote was taken, is split on how to put the problem right.
"The executive committee is in four camps divided between the ones who believe that no switch will support Qatar while others believe no switch will torpedo Qatar.
"At the same time, there is a group who think that by switching you support Qatar and others who think switching will torpedo Qatar.
"And it is too simplistic to say it all comes down to what Sepp Blatter wants. He wanted the World Cup to be held in the United States.
"His vision of an Asian World Cup was probably to go to China, one of the last great football frontiers, not Qatar, where more than half of the national team is naturalised because the locals don't play the game.
"His strategy from day one was to say we cannot play in June and July. By doing that he has sent a subliminal message, or perhaps not so subliminal, which is: 'Why did my colleagues vote for Qatar? - I did not vote for them'.
"But while he says the World Cup cannot be played in the summer, he also knows that changing the dates could cost FIFA one billion dollars."
Qatar says it can host the World Cup in summer by building air-conditioned stadiums using environmentally-friendly technology and is reluctant to change the dates from June or July.
Last month the powerful European Clubs Association (ECA), which has more than 200 members, urged FIFA not to rush into a decision, saying there were still nine years to go and they wanted to be included in any proposed task force.
(Editing by Ken Ferris)

This is good news, so far as inflicting hurt on the chances of Qatar 2022 actually going ahead at all.

If they are instead delaying the decision to set up an impact taskforce of 2022 - then surely they will assess not just moving dates - but moving the entire event up and out of Qatar. The only good thing that has come out of choosing two hosts so far in advance that they could find a new host in the next couple of years with ample time to prepare for 2022.

I'm doubtful the US or Australia would go near it again. So who could/would step in for 2022? Japan? England?

I'm doubtful England will go near it again!

But it would be so good! Look at all those amazing stadiums you have.

I think right now FIFA could offer to foot the bill for the whole thing and Australia would still turn it down. It has really done their reputation huge damage here - some people have turned off the event altogether.

Amazing how they have managed to **** so many substantial/potential hosts all at once.

Imagine England hosting both the 2022 World Cup and the 2022 Commonwealth Games in QE2 Olympic Park.

Another great summer of sport in England that could nearly rival 2012.

Am told Blatter lost his temper today with Exco members who voted for Qatar, reminding them of trouble they've created. Met with silence.

https://twitter.com/danroan

Well, it's a little late now.

He's also still claiming the words "in principle" appear in the bid documents with regard to June and July. Didn't the Guardian already show this to be false?

Doesn't really matter. He can lie, but I'm sure Australia and the American broadcasters will come after FIFA with lawsuits if they try to change the dates.

Am told Blatter lost his temper today with Exco members who voted for Qatar, reminding them of trouble they've created. Met with silence.

https://twitter.com/danroan

Good for him. At least he can get away with that. If only 3 of them were wiser, again, FIFA wouldn't have had that problem. And those scores of migrant workers AND future ones probably wouldn't have lost their lives under such dehumanizing circumstances.

Told ya. Timing decision won't be reached until another few months. What I'm afraid about all this is that I think this will take a toll on Blatter's health; and if and when he goes which I think may happen in 3 years; FIFA is going to be even more a-shambles since there won't be one strong force to shoehorn major decisions; and it will be fractured by all those wanting to take over. It will be an even bigger mess if Blatter conks out suddenly.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Good for him. At least he can get away with that. If only 3 of them were wiser, again, FIFA wouldn't have had that problem. And those scores of migrant workers AND future ones probably wouldn't have lost their lives under such dehumanizing circumstances.

unfortunately, i get the feeling they still would have died building the world's tallest aquarium or the first nine star hotel or something equally ridiculous.

Turkey.

Even as part of joke, I wouldn't be surprised if Morocco or Turkey came as back-up plans.

unfortunately, i get the feeling they still would have died building the world's tallest aquarium or the first nine star hotel or something equally ridiculous.

This. Qatar/UAE prosperity is build in slavery -And that was widely known- but still FIFA messed up.