Qatar 2022

arwebb

well, leaving aside the fact that you undoubtedly could have come up with an equally erroneous 7 point bullet point list for why kathleen sebelius was certainly going to become vice president back in 2008, and leaving aside the fact that i hate to get all athensfan on you, but this all just speculation.

no one is investigating FIFA for bribery atm, and the general consensus from official channels seems to be a desire to move to tournament to the fall/winter. as for point #4, what hasn't blatter said publicly? you could fill books with all the doublespeak.

i'm sure a revote is an option they will consider if/when they exhaust negotiating a seasonal move. no one likes to lose that much pride if it can be avoided. don't get too far ahead.

also, faster, since you seem to be getting testier than usual, lobbing quasi-curse words at me, i feel i should point out that you're wrong as often as you are right on these things. when i called you the living embodiment of wikipedia, it was not just a cheeky quip.

Actually there is an American law firm that is looking into the allegations of bribery, Rob mentioned it a few times. I very much believe that Blatter knows there was underhandedness in how Qatar won and he is smart enough to prepare for if/when a smoking gun comes to light.

Baron, there is two simple reasons why the Americans would not touch 2022, first is that it could further strain relations with the Qatari block of Arab nations and secondly, I think (as do others) that 2026 is heading to American shores. Canada is not worthy of the tournament and Mexico would struggle more than Brazil to host. Asia and Europe are out and I doubt Morocco or Argentina are that interested.

I very much wish that this tournament was being held in the United States, I would have loved to spend a week or two going to matches in Colorado and Texas. And like with the Summer Olympics, the USA is going to be closest I will ever come to a home tournament. Plus getting the Americans out of qualification might actually give Canada a chance to qualify. :P

World Cup - Europe backs moving Qatar 2022 to winter European countries have given their overall backing to moving the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to the winter, Britain's FIFA vice-president has confirmed.

Jim Boyce, from Northern Ireland, said however the 54 UEFA associations meeting in Dubrovnik, Croatia, want FIFA to consult with the game's major stakeholders before making any decision about exactly when the tournament is staged.

FIFA's executive committee is now expected to agree in principle to move the World Cup to the winter at its meeting in Zurich on October 3/4.

Boyce, speaking from Dubrovnik, told Press Association Sport: "What has come out of this meeting, and what I think is sensible, is an agreement by the UEFA countries that the World Cup cannot be played in Qatar in the summer. Everyone was certainly in agreement about that.

"But what the 54 countries do not want FIFA to do is to make a decision yet on exactly when in the year it is going to be played.

"There is still nine years to go and people feel FIFA should sit down with all the major stakeholders and come up with a solution that would cause the minimum disruption to football.

"There is plenty of time to do that in my opinion, and hopefully football will be the winner."

There could well be disagreements in the future however over whether it is played in January 2022 or November/December of that year.

The British associations told the meeting they want to make sure that the Christmas week is protected for domestic football, while UEFA chiefs favour January so that it would not impact on the Champions League.

FIFA are believed to favour November/December so that it does not clash with the winter Olympics.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-europe-backs-winter-world-cup-104518750--sow.html

And a war with the IOC.

probably not if they schedule them with more than a month in between. tv audiences wouldn't be fazed and is there really that big of a crossover between people who would buy tickets in qatar and whatever northern european city hosts 2022 (and couldn't attend both)? the media would be slightly inconvenienced, true, but boo-hoo.

besides... perhaps auspicious timing for a southern hemisphere 2022 bid?

probably not if they schedule them with more than a month in between. tv audiences wouldn't be fazed and is there really that big of a crossover between people who would buy tickets in qatar and whatever northern european city hosts 2022 (and couldn't attend both)? the media would be slightly inconvenienced, true, but boo-hoo.

besides... perhaps auspicious timing for a southern hemisphere 2022 bid?

I just cannot see a January World Cup. To satisfy England and Spain's Christmas match schedule, the earliest the leagues could end is December 27, 2021. So even a compressed 2 weeks from that date is start of around Jan 9 or 10, with an end around Feb 13. The Olympics are likely going to run Feb 11 to 27 that year.

I think it will be more like a November 10, 2022 start and ending in either December 15-20, 2022. The other organizations, despite all their bluster, will now fall in line. It's a crappy schedule...but that's the best they can make of this mess.

FIFA will probably even allow stars who are otherwise occupied or tired from their club contracts to enter/play in the semi-final stages of the Cup.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

What if the IOC selects Chile or NZL to avoid this conflict? But a December edition in Munich would be very charming too.

The deadline to apply for the 2022 Olympics is this November. Considering a resolution on the 2022 World Cup seems far away, I can't imagine Chile or New Zealand being ready to jump into the fray on that short a timeframe. That plus I doubt the IOC and all their sport federations want to throw their calendars off because FIFA doesn't have its act together.

IOC wants no clash between 2022 Winter Olympics, Qatar World Cup

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) -- The IOC says any switch in the dates of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar must "avoid any effect''' on the Winter Olympics that year.

FIFA is considering moving the World Cup to the winter to avoid the searing summer heat in the tiny Gulf country.

European football federations support moving the tournament to January. That could cause conflicts with the Winter Games, which are usually held in February.

The International Olympic Committee says it is aware FIFA might consider changing the World Cup dates.

In a statement Thursday, the IOC says "we are confident that FIFA will discuss the dates with us so as to coordinate them and avoid any effect on the Winter Games.''

The host city of the 2022 Winter Olympics will be chosen by the IOC in 2015.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130919/ioc-world-cup-qatar-winter-olympics-2022.ap/#ixzz2fNa8MhDe

IOC wants no clash between 2022 Winter Olympics, Qatar World Cup

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) -- The IOC says any switch in the dates of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar must "avoid any effect''' on the Winter Olympics that year.

FIFA is considering moving the World Cup to the winter to avoid the searing summer heat in the tiny Gulf country.

European football federations support moving the tournament to January. That could cause conflicts with the Winter Games, which are usually held in February.

The International Olympic Committee says it is aware FIFA might consider changing the World Cup dates.

In a statement Thursday, the IOC says "we are confident that FIFA will discuss the dates with us so as to coordinate them and avoid any effect on the Winter Games.''

The host city of the 2022 Winter Olympics will be chosen by the IOC in 2015.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130919/ioc-world-cup-qatar-winter-olympics-2022.ap/#ixzz2fNa8MhDe

^^ SORRY, having problems w my PC/Internet connection

I think it will be more like a November 10, 2022 start and ending in either December 15-20, 2022. The other organizations, despite all their bluster, will now fall in line. It's a crappy schedule...but that's the best they can make of this mess.

That does make sense. The Paralympics will probably be in March and Ramadan 2022 starts in early April of that year so that does make November the best option.

Great! I'm all for it. Just like tennis and golf, football's highest honors come from non-Olympic play.

I can live with tennis in the Olympics if the players continue to take the tournament seriously, which they do. Golf I remain very skeptical about. Soccer can go though. If this whole mess threatens to strain the relationship between the IOC and FIFA and the Olympic soccer tournament is a casualty of it, I won't miss it.

I still think that January would be the best time for the World Cup. That way it wouldn't affect the international calendar that much. Many national leagues have a winter break anyway, and there wouldn't be clashes with qualifying matches for other tournaments, Champions' League, etc. I don't see how staging the tournament in winter would affect olympic football even if there was a fight between FIFA and IOC. It's a tournament that I don't care about, but I think it's more important to IOC than FIFA, after all football gives one of the biggest incomes from ticket revenues in the Summer Games. Is there any reason why the WOG couldn't run from February 25th to March 13th? That way the World Cup could be held starting on January 6th (or maybe a week later).

Confederations' Cup is problematic though any way you look at it, but I guess it should be a U-21 tournament on this occasion.

I still think that January would be the best time for the World Cup. That way it wouldn't affect the international calendar that much. Many national leagues have a winter break anyway, and there wouldn't be clashes with qualifying matches for other tournaments, Champions' League, etc. I don't see how staging the tournament in winter would affect olympic football even if there was a fight between FIFA and IOC. It's a tournament that I don't care about, but I think it's more important to IOC than FIFA, after all football gives one of the biggest incomes from ticket revenues in the Summer Games. Is there any reason why the WOG couldn't run from February 25th to March 13th? That way the World Cup could be held starting on January 6th (or maybe a week later).

Confederations' Cup is problematic though any way you look at it, but I guess it should be a U-21 tournament on this occasion.

Paralympics. If the Olympics get pushed back, so do the Paralympics which means now you're pushing that into April. Probably not going to work.

Either way, why should the Olympics move to accommodate FIFA because they made a piss poor decision? A lot of entities involved (TV networks, etc.) probably want less than a couple of weeks of separation between the 2 events. I don't think there's really a sensible solution to all this, but I think FIFA would rather avoid the headache of going up against the IOC.

Keep in mind also.. moving the World Cup up to January affects qualifying, it creates issues with the Confederations Cup. I think they're better off having it later rather than earlier.

I can live with tennis in the Olympics if the players continue to take the tournament seriously, which they do. Golf I remain very skeptical about. Soccer can go though. If this whole mess threatens to strain the relationship between the IOC and FIFA and the Olympic soccer tournament is a casualty of it, I won't miss it.

I'd be fine with men's soccer being booted out of the Games, but not women's. There aren't many major women's tournaments, and the Olympics are just as important to the women as the World Cup. Women have already lost the opportunity to compete in softball, and I'd hate to see them lose the opportunity in soccer as well.

Paralympics. If the Olympics get pushed back, so do the Paralympics which means now you're pushing that into April. Probably not going to work.

Not just the Paralympics. But it would also impact the most important WOG federation, FISU, whose own world championships happen after the February WOGs; and would want to stay within that "winter" time frame becuz most of their sponsor are 'seasonal-winter' sponsors.

Why do posters here try to think they can come up with better calendars?? :blink: