Qatar 2022

arwebb

Like, I dont' even know what to say.

That interview with Sepp Blatter just comes to show what a pea-brained idiot he really is.

I can't wait to see this all fall apart;

To be fair to Blatter, my understanding is that has he had his way Qatar wouldn't have happened.

It's a total fiasco. As I've said before, I think you're seeing a showdown between FIFA and the domestic leagues and the fear is a winter WC where leagues like the EPL and La Liga refuse to alter their schedules. Why would they? They have significant TV rights deals and that's a lot of money. Worst case scenario, the leagues refuse to release many of the top players and we have a WC with B team squads in which FIFA would accuse to the leagues of being selfish and not acting in the best interests of the game.

Season ticket holders aren't paying money to see benchwarmers take the places of the likes of a Wayne Rooney or Lionel Messi.

It's a total fiasco. As I've said before, I think you're seeing a showdown between FIFA and the domestic leagues and the fear is a winter WC where leagues like the EPL and La Liga refuse to alter their schedules. Why would they? They have significant TV rights deals and that's a lot of money. Worst case scenario, the leagues refuse to release many of the top players and we have a WC with B team squads in which FIFA would accuse to the leagues of being selfish and not acting in the best interests of the game.

Season ticket holders aren't paying money to see benchwarmers take the places of the likes of a Wayne Rooney or Lionel Messi.

Altho this is a good 9 years away...so, if it gets resolved by this October, negotiations, etc., etc., an adjusted calender could go into effect maybe as early as April-May next year. Time is on FIFA's side. So if they shift it 3 or 4 days/ a week each year, I think they can make it all gel by Nov-Dec 2022.

Daily Mail weighs in.. Qatar feel the heat over 2022 World Cup as pressure builds from four different parties

Among all the interests from Europe that would be hurt by the move, Fox Sports and Telemundo (US television rightsholders for 2022) might have something to say as well and could threaten breach of contract.

It's like a slowly developing car crash we're watching here!

/\/\ Hmmm...mmmm...mmmm (with smacking lips sounds...)

Wasn't the heat issue played up enough in the Evaluation reports??

They should just sack those 14 board members who voted Qatar. But of course, that'll open a whole another can of worms. I can just see sports lawyers' rubbing their hands gleefully.

Move it...and give Qatar (if no bribery is found) an automatic bye in the 2018 and 2022 tournaments (and let Europe lose one spot). That's my proposed solution.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Australia may seek 2022 Fifa World Cup compensation

Australia's soccer chief Frank Lowy says his country's Football Federation (FFA) may seek compensation if the 2022 World Cup is switched to the winter.

Australia was one of four countries that lost out to Qatar, despite spending £25.27m on its bid.

Qatar has temperatures of 50 degrees Celsius in June and July, so Fifa is debating holding a winter tournament for the first time.

"Australia invested heavily in the World Cup process," Lowy said.

"Since December 2010 Australia has been careful not to let its misgivings about the process be interpreted as sour grapes.

"But now, with increasing speculation about a change that will impact on us as one of the bidding nations, and because our competition will be affected, we have made our position public."

Lowy was quoted in a FFA statement that asked Fifa to look at awarding compensation.

It read: "Fifa's 3 October meeting should consider the following: An in-principle decision that just and fair compensation should be paid to those nations that invested many millions, and national prestige, in bidding for a summer event."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24122625

_69886535_australia4_getty.jpg

/\/\ Seems real petty of the Oz FA. So it's adding fuel to the fire to prevent FIFA from correcting its mistake by asking for its $$$ back if FIFA reskeds the tournament -- only becuz FIFA wants to prevent possible casualties -- to a Qatari "winter"? And when was the tournament supposed to be played in Oz in 2022? In its winter. Duh. Talk of petty and sour grapes.

Its winter. Australia is in the southern hemisphere, their winter is Qatar's summer, is Europe's summer. Lowy is saying that they bid for a tournament to be held in June/July 2022, regardless of the local climate. He wants compensation because FIFA are now changing the rules of the bid process after the process has ended to ensure the best possible chance of Qatar staging the tournament & the ExCo of FIFA thus getting their bribe money. I think Lowy is absolutely justified, Australia (& the other bidders) went into this process in good faith, not expecting that FIFA would be willing to change the very fabric of football, just to get their bribes. It's shocking how FIFA has handled this. :mad:

Now the question is who would be the replacement host? The Americans, Australians and English have already said they aren't interested, Japan has the Rugby World Cup and the Olympics now. Countries like Turkey, Canada and Mexico could host but would need more time, especially since this will not be settled before 2016. As well, since corruption is going to be the more likely reason to move the tournament, Spain is going to be implicated due to the widely reported illegal vote-swaping that occured. And you cannot argue against it because the report was 7 votes and that is exactly how many Spain got.

It really only leaves France, Germany, China, Korea, South Africa and Brazil. I doubt after 2014 and 2016 Brazil would want to host another World Cup (unless hey lose at home) and something tells me that the politics of this would give France and Germany pause. So it really only leaves Korea and China

Australia may seek 2022 Fifa World Cup compensation

Australia's soccer chief Frank Lowy says his country's Football Federation (FFA) may seek compensation if the 2022 World Cup is switched to the winter.

Australia was one of four countries that lost out to Qatar, despite spending £25.27m on its bid.

Qatar has temperatures of 50 degrees Celsius in June and July, so Fifa is debating holding a winter tournament for the first time.

"Australia invested heavily in the World Cup process," Lowy said.

"Since December 2010 Australia has been careful not to let its misgivings about the process be interpreted as sour grapes.

"But now, with increasing speculation about a change that will impact on us as one of the bidding nations, and because our competition will be affected, we have made our position public."

Lowy was quoted in a FFA statement that asked Fifa to look at awarding compensation.

It read: "Fifa's 3 October meeting should consider the following: An in-principle decision that just and fair compensation should be paid to those nations that invested many millions, and national prestige, in bidding for a summer event."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24122625

_69886535_australia4_getty.jpg

FIFA deserves this. I don't consider it sour grapes.

Somebody changed the rules on me recently. They told me they had awarded my company a contract, told all my competitors they had not been chosen, then somebody higher up the food chain changed the terms of the bid and said my business should be disqualified due to the young age of the company relative to our competitors. We were within 24 hours of a signed contract and they yanked the deal away. We invested tons of time, energy and money in pursuing this account. If they had told us at the beginning we weren't eligible, fine. No problem. We would've pursued other business. But you can't present one set of rules for a competitive bid and then change them after making a decision because you suddenly realize you're not sure about the result.

FIFA's situation is even worse because there is a contract in place. Ours was forthcoming, but was scuppered at the eleventh hour and that's the only reason I'm not bringing suit.

/\/\ Seems real petty of the Oz FA. So it's adding fuel to the fire to prevent FIFA from correcting its mistake by asking for its $$$ back if FIFA reskeds the tournament -- only becuz FIFA wants to prevent possible casualties -- to a Qatari "winter"? And when was the tournament supposed to be played in Oz in 2022? In its winter. Duh. Talk of petty and sour grapes.

It's not that petty. Australia was bidding for June/July World Cup. This isn't like the IOC where you can ask for an exception to host the event outside the normal timeframe. That would have benefited Australia's bid greatly to offer it up around November. Forget the seasons and the weather.. that eliminates a lot of the grounds sharing issues that would be very problematic for Australia in June or July. I don't know if that entitles them to compensation, but it gives them every right to be upset that this was an unfair process for reasons that have nothing to do with money and bribery.

But they got what? 2 votes?? It's not like they lost by one or 2 votes. They were a distant 3rd (can't recall rightly and can't be bothered to look it up right now). My point is it doesn't help FIFA or the whole situation right now. If there's anyone who should be aggrieved and venting right now, it should the USSF which came in with 8 votes. But even then, the US is just keeping quiet and let the whole thing implode and sort itself out. If I were a judge, I think Australia has the weakest case of all.

But they got what? 2 votes?? It's not like they lost by one or 2 votes. They were a distant 3rd (can't recall rightly and can't be bothered to look it up right now). My point is it doesn't help FIFA or the whole situation right now. If there's anyone who should be aggrieved and venting right now, it should the USSF which came in with 8 votes. But even then, the US is just keeping quiet and let the whole thing implode and sort itself out. If I were a judge, I think Australia has the weakest case of all.

i agree with baron for once.

what case do they have to sue exactly? they lost badly. there's no indication that if their timeframe had been in october instead of june that their 25 million would have been better spent.

and then to see faster saying they don't even want it anymore? definitely petty and vindictive.