Qatar 2022

arwebb

Not to get in the middle of someone else's spat here.. I think we all understand how obscenely corrupt and idiotic FIFA and something should be done about it. But that's like saying "the American political system is obscenely corrupt and something should be done about it." I don't know how much validity to the idea that FIFA rules the football world and the sport couldn't exist without it. But I think MrCatra's point was that if you're looking for a solution to fix FIFA, that solution is not going to be for leagues to secede from FIFA.

Obviously it's a crazy position to be taken by me, but it didn't warrant a response from MrCatra that was made to be condescending. However, it's not all that surprising from him, as I have seen the stuff he says on other football forums here and he seems to have some sort of self-entitlement as the "football expert" and that no one knows anything about the sport except him.

Obviously it's a crazy position to be taken by me, but it didn't warrant a response from MrCatra that was made to be condescending. However, it's not all that surprising from him, as I have seen the stuff he says on other football forums here and he seems to have some sort of self-entitlement as the "football expert" and that no one knows anything about the sport except him.

Oh, if you think I'm bad sometimes, MrCatra is 100% condescending ALL THE TIME!!

• Like 1

Interesting to note: Canada left the IIHF in the 1970s, same time that they played the Soviet Union in the Summit Series. So major countries leaving their IF has happened before.

Surely you can tell the difference between the IIHF (in the 70's no less) and FIFA?

me-ow.

LOL, indeed. I didn't realize he cared so much about my posts. Whatever. Mind your own business, I guess. I can hardly care about him anymore. I miss the old GamesBids.

Including how stupid that comment was, considering I wasn't instructing anyone on how to post. I was just clearing up the air.

Edited by nykfan845

Uh-oh.. This is what FIFA is waiting for...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130729/christian-benitez-death-ecuador-qatar.ap/

Ecuador star Christian Benitez dies a day after playing in Qatar heat

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130729/christian-benitez-death-ecuador-qatar.ap/#ixzz2aTBC9NTZ
DOHA, Qatar (AP) -- Ecuador striker Christian Benitez died Monday, a day after playing in a match for Qatari club El Jaish, the team said.

The club said the 27-year-old Benitez, who moved from Mexican club America to play in Qatar this year, died Monday but provided no further details.

"The club would like to offer its sincere condolences to the family of the player,'' the club said in a statement. "His sudden departure is a big shock for each member of the technical and administrative staff. He was a player that over the short period he was here was regarded for his high moral character.''

El Jaish played Qatar Sports on Sunday in the Sheik Jassim Cup, a warm-up tournament for the upcoming football season. Benitez, who also spent a season in England with Birmingham, was in the lineup.

The match was played in hot and humid conditions, which are typical of the Persian Gulf at this time of year.

"The player participated for the first time with the team during yesterday's match against Qatar Sports Club in the Sheik Jassim Cup without complaining of any health problems,'' the club said, adding that it was awaiting results from a medical report that could be released later Monday.

A powerful, destabilizing striker, Benitez was the Mexican league's top scorer last season and helped his team win the championship.

The Mexico City-based America is one of the country's most popular teams.

"The Club America football team deeply regrets the death of one of the most recent America idols, and shares the sorrow felt by the entire Benitez Betancourt family, and the sport in Mexico, Ecuador and the world,'' the club said on its website.

Qatar will host the 2022 World Cup and the searing temperatures have prompted many former football stars as well as FIFA President Sepp Blatter to call for the competition to be moved to the cooler, winter months. Blatter plans to ask FIFA's executive committee later this year to move it.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130729/christian-benitez-death-ecuador-qatar.ap/#ixzz2aTBJJNcy

The shock death of Chucho Benitez within hours of his debut for his new club in Qatar was not connected in any way with the heat. The 27-year-olds bereft widow has told her family precisely that. Anyone with an alternative agenda or sensationalist tendencies should beware joining those particular dots.

Instead Christian Rogelio Benitez Betancourt died of a cardiac arrest after being taken to hospital with stomach pain diagnosed, too late, as peritonitis. He had played, in any case, only a few minutes for El Jaish, as a late substitute.

http://keirradnedge.com/2013/07/29/sad-saga-of-chucho-benitez-in-qatar-but-dont-jump-to-the-wrong-conclusion/

Edited by RobH

No question the Qataris (which my phone just tried to auto correct as "wetsuits") will do whatever they can to prevent this from showing their country in a negative light. It does seem curious that this happens in the midst of the controversy surrounding Qatar's world cup bid. Certainly I don't presume the 2 are related but until we hear otherwise about an athlete's death in Qatar, those trying to pressure FIFrAud will probably use it as ammunition. Which is a shame since it involves a footballer passing away

Well nevermind that then

Oh no! How sad :(

I didn't know that the Qatari championship was played in summer. I hope they are not doing it trying to prove something. More people may die. Here in Brazil, although we had vacation in the summer, some championships like "campeonato carioca" begin in January, but there is a stop in the middle of each half for players to be hydrated. FIFA should stop thinking about money and take action about the health of athletes. Changing the World Cup to winter is not solution. It's improvisation and can result in boycott from european federations.

The shock death of Chucho Benitez within hours of his debut for his new club in Qatar was not connected in any way with the heat. The 27-year-olds bereft widow has told her family precisely that. Anyone with an alternative agenda or sensationalist tendencies should beware joining those particular dots.

Instead Christian Rogelio Benitez Betancourt died of a cardiac arrest after being taken to hospital with stomach pain diagnosed, too late, as peritonitis. He had played, in any case, only a few minutes for El Jaish, as a late substitute.

http://keirradnedge.com/2013/07/29/sad-saga-of-chucho-benitez-in-qatar-but-dont-jump-to-the-wrong-conclusion/

Well, which is it? Cardiac arrest or peritonitis?

And it if was cardiac arrest, what precipitated that?

Surely, not the cool temperature in an A/C hotel room or the morgue freezer?

^^ If you read the article well you can see that he was diagnosed very late with peritonitis, which caused a heart attack and ultimately his death.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Government acted behind the curtain and bribed his family/hospitals so the real reasons wouldn't come out, though.

Notice, "...she was told..." Lizeth is NOT a medical professional.

How many athletes died or were hospitalized in the 2006 Asian Games and last December for the Pan Arab Games?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Government acted behind the curtain and bribed his family/hospitals so the real reasons wouldn't come out, though.

U think?? I mean the kings of Saudi Arabia go to the Cleveland Heart Clinic for treatment; not to Doha. Of course, Benitez was not a king; merely a soccer player.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

^^ Korean equestrian Kim Hyung-chil died on the 2006 Asian Games but that had nothing to do with the heat but rather a very unfortunate accident when his horse felt against him due to the wet conditions of the terrain (it was raining heavily during part of the event). And as much as I know there were no fatalities in the 2011 Pan Arab Games.

^^ Korean equestrian Kim Hyung-chil died on the 2006 Asian Games but that had nothing to do with the heat but rather a very unfortunate accident when his horse felt against him due to the wet conditions of the terrain (it was raining heavily during part of the event).

And there have been the humans and horses who have died in the Summer Olympics:

Humans:

- Francisco Lazaro, marathon, Stockholm 1912

3 deaths in Rome 1960: Danish cyclist Knut Jensen and 2 horses in the 3-day individual event which also claimed 3 horses in Berlin 1936; and 2 more in Mexico City.

I'm no doctor but I work in the health area and I know that dehydration from heat exposure can be fatal. Brazil (like Ecuador) in the summer is very hot and when the temperature reaches 38º some people seek treatment and symptoms are abdominal pain, heart problems... It is strange that diagnosis of peritonitis because they said he was not feeling bad before the match. Anyway, having played under those conditions may have worsened the problem.

I'm no doctor but I work in the health area and I know that dehydration from heat exposure can be fatal. Brazil (like Ecuador) in the summer is very hot and when the temperature reaches 38º some people seek treatment and symptoms are abdominal pain, heart problems... It is strange that diagnosis of peritonitis because they said he was not feeling bad before the match. Anyway, having played under those conditions may have worsened the problem.

Here's the thing though...if they first diagnosed it as "peritonitis" but then turned out to be cardiac arrest, then they DON'T have capable, competent physicians there. Unless Benitez was referring to the wrong areas, I don't see how even a moderately qualified physician could misdiagnose a heart/chest area pain with the appendix area! Remind me NOT to get hospitalized or treated in the Gulf!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Anderson Martins, a Brazilian player from the same team of Benitez said in an interview for a tv station here, that it's very difficult to play in this time of year and that many players complain about the heat. Benitez himself, who came from a very hot country, had complained when he arrived in Qatar. Anderson said the trainings are held at 10h at night and even in this time, the temperature reaches 36º, 38º.

http://sportv.globo.com/site/programas/ta-na-area/noticia/2013/07/anderson-martins-sobre-morte-de-benitez-todos-estao-chocados.html

This World Cup has GOT to be moved. US, Australia, China, it doesn't matter, just as long as it is safe. 2022 is still a LONG way off, so if I was in FIFA's position, I would open a new bid for 2022, with a new election system where the host would be decided by one FIFA member & one nominated professional footballer from each of the 210? member countries voting in IOC rules with absolutely NO bribery of ANY kind allowed. Although, it would be safer anyway as it's much harder to bribe 400odd people than 22.

This World Cup has GOT to be moved. US, Australia, China, it doesn't matter, just as long as it is safe. 2022 is still a LONG way off, so if I was in FIFA's position, I would open a new bid for 2022, with a new election system where the host would be decided by one FIFA member & one nominated professional footballer from each of the 210? member countries voting in IOC rules with absolutely NO bribery of ANY kind allowed. Although, it would be safer anyway as it's much harder to bribe 400odd people than 22.

How does FIFA go about taking the World Cup away from them? It's easy for us to say we all saw this coming, but how does FIFA go to Qatar and say "you know what, we changed our minds, we don't want you to host the World Cup" after there was a popular vote to award it to them. It's easy for us to say we know it was all corrupt, but do you really think FIFA is going to own up to that mistake? They're trying to weasel out of this any way they can and I don't know how they plan on solving this. If they do find grounds to re-award the world cup though, I hope they have the good sense to NOT give it to any of the countries you mentioned. They had a chance to award the World Cup to the United States or Australia and they passed up the opportunity. As I've said before.. the United States deserves better than FIFA's sloppy seconds, especially if the 2026 World Cup could be laying out on a silver platter for them to take

• Like 1

How does FIFA go about taking the World Cup away from them? It's easy for us to say we all saw this coming, but how does FIFA go to Qatar and say "you know what, we changed our minds, we don't want you to host the World Cup" after there was a popular vote to award it to them. It's easy for us to say we know it was all corrupt, but do you really think FIFA is going to own up to that mistake? They're trying to weasel out of this any way they can and I don't know how they plan on solving this. If they do find grounds to re-award the world cup though, I hope they have the good sense to NOT give it to any of the countries you mentioned. They had a chance to award the World Cup to the United States or Australia and they passed up the opportunity. As I've said before.. the United States deserves better than FIFA's sloppy seconds, especially if the 2026 World Cup could be laying out on a silver platter for them to take

"especially if the 2026 World Cup could be laying out on a silver platter for them to take" I don't think it is anymore. Canada seems to be laying the groundwork to getting the event (ie, hosting other FIFA events and bidding for the Congress).

Also only way is Qatar is proven unable to host, something that hasn't happened so far.