Qatar 2022

arwebb

I guess playing at night time wouldn't be worse than at noon in Mexico and US. It would also be quite ideal considering most time zones, if the kick-off times were for example at 7, 9 and 11.30 pm. That would still leave the comfort and safety of the fans to be resolved, though.

How about putting electric fans all around the field? :lol: Giving the refs their own mini-fans on their chests? B)

Well once all the indentured servants have finished building all the stadiums, the Qataris will be needing something for them to do. Why not just appoint every visitor to the cup with their personal servant, who can walk behind wherever they go them fanning them.

There is also this ingenious technology of floating 'covers' during daytime matches.

http://phys.org/news/2011-03-qatar-figures-cool-crowds-world.html

The only solutions are:

1. night-time matches

2. carrot-tops stay out of the sun;

3. add misting features to the stadia A/C; and

4. drink LESS beer; and imbibe more Pepsi Cola and ice cream!! :lol:

Trouble is, this isn't like baseball players not coming to an Olympics. Players will want to go to the World Cup, no question. The Premier League and others are right to stand their ground; this is FIFA's mess and they shouldn't **** everyone else about in trying to solve it. But if FIFA does change the calendar, the players won't be fighting with their clubs to stay and play league football, they'll be fighting against them to go to the World Cup.

FIFA have created an almighty mess, and yet Blatter is still at the helm.

The leagues can still play, it will give some of their high-priced benchwarmers some playing time. It's a fact of life here in the US where MLS has played on through the World Cup (although they did take a two week break in 2010). Obviously, the Euro leagues would lose a larger number of players compared to MLS, but they have more than enough players to fill in for the matches over a two month period.

Part of me believes that this whole "moving the World Cup to November" thing could possibly be a great ploy by FIFA to try and change the location of the tournament, or at least re-do the election. Less people may argue if its proven by FIFA that Qatar can't properly host the tournament in summer and it can't be moved to winter without angering the leagues.

Just a theory.

Extrordinary....

Awarding the 2022 soccer World Cup to Qatar's desert state was a "blatant mistake" FIFA executive committee member Theo Zwanziger said, adding that staging the tournament in winter would be just as big a problem.

German Zwanziger's attack on the decision to give the tiny energy-rich Gulf state the world's biggest single sports event comes after FIFA president Sepp Blatter repeated his view that the finals could not be played in the traditional summer slot.

"It was a blatant mistake," Zwanziger, formerly head of the German football federation (DfB) told Sportbild magazine, referring to the decision taken by world soccer's governing body in December 2010.

Zwanziger, who joined the FIFA executive the following year, also said shifting the tournament to the winter months would put the unity of German football in danger.

"Changing the World Cup to the winter is going deep into the structures of European national federations and also amateur football in Germany."

"A change in playing schedules does not only affect the Bundesliga but continues affecting lower divisions due to the link with promotion and relegation. The game pyramid is in danger and so is the unity of German football."

Moving the World Cup to the winter would have a seismic effect on soccer scheduling in Europe.

Many leagues outside Britain have a winter break but would need a hiatus of at least six weeks to accommodate national teams preparing for, and playing at, the World Cup finals.

The English Premier League, despite not having a winter break, has repeatedly voiced its strong disagreement with moving the tournament to the winter months.

"A winter World Cup would mean public viewing with ice skating boots in freezing temperatures," said Zwanziger.

"If the decision was really a mistake it should be lifted and should not become an even bigger burden for those who are not involved by changing it to the winter."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2013/0724/464396-qatar-world-cup-a-mistake-fifa-executive/

Edited by RobH

it's up to Qatar, if they can host in summer as they said then it should go as planned, if they want to give it back then let Qatar decide and a new host can be picked. FIFA should shut up; they held a vote and awarded the tournament....

Qatar owns 2022 at this point don't they? It was given to them.

it's up to Qatar, if they can host in summer as they said then it should go as planned, if they want to give it back then let Qatar decide and a new host can be picked. FIFA should shut up; they held a vote and awarded the tournament....

Qatar owns 2022 at this point don't they? It was given to them.

No; in real cold hard facts, FIFA owns the tournament, just as the IOC owns the Olympics. They can revoke the awards anytime they wish to...except it has to be with due cause. Maybe, they'll give Qatar an automatic bye for 2022 if it is moved elsewhere?

would FIFA owe Qatar for all their expense in the planning or actual work to produce durable items or construction related specifically to items required by the bid after the award was made? that could add up....fast....like way more than FIFA might have. people, planners, renders, infrastructure planning, research, development, actual work or good etc?

maybe Qatar will own FIFA and just hold their tournament whenever they like.

would FIFA owe Qatar for all their expense in the planning or actual work to produce durable items or construction related specifically to items required by the bid after the award was made? that could add up....fast....like way more than FIFA might have. people, planners, renders, infrastructure planning, research, development, actual work or good etc?

maybe Qatar will own FIFA and just hold their tournament whenever they like.

I'm sure there's a clause in the award contract which gives FIFA an out, something with "...probable cause." The problem is, how to make it convincing, give it to a new bidder...and save face for Qatar as well. If Istanbul loses in Sept, it'll be more difficult to strip Qatar of 2022. But if Istanbul wins, that might embolden FIFA to go ahead and just give it to someone else (like the runner-up US?)?

If I were the head of a big, influential national football association, I would leave FIFA and establish a new governing body with whatever countries tag along. Honestly, FIFA is pathetic.

lol and people would laugh your ass out of the football world. Only a north american could even think about this. It's much much much less difficult for big corporations to 'steal' the 'olympics' from the IOC than disrupt FIFA's monopoly. Football simply can't work without FIFA.

FIFA rules the football world with a strong hand. They control daily operations. Football needs it to work. lol. I'm not even able to agglutinate my thoughts in a organized and rational way to be able make a post explaining to you how ridiculous is your idea.

Seriously.

lol and people would laugh your ass out of the football world. Only a north american could even think about this. It's much much much less difficult for big corporations to 'steal' the 'olympics' from the IOC than disrupt FIFA's monopoly. Football simply can't work without FIFA.

FIFA rules the football world with a strong hand. They control daily operations. Football needs it to work. lol. I'm not even able to agglutinate my thoughts in a organized and rational way to be able make a post explaining to you how ridiculous is your idea.

Seriously.

That was pretty much unwarranted. He was just emphasizing how much he hated FIFA.

Seriously.

You clearly didn't understand the context of his point.

Moreover, there were rumblings back (albeit at a smaller level) that East Asia wanted to break away from West Asia, which shows there exists some sort of resentment.

• Like 1

Seriously.

My point was to show how pissed off i am about how obscenely corrupt and idiotic FIFA is. You are too blind to realize that there is a huge problem with the sport's governing body and something should be done about it. I think you need to better understand ones point before you go off on an ignorant little rant that barely makes any sense.

• Like 1

My point was to show how pissed off i am about how obscenely corrupt and idiotic FIFA is. You are too blind to realize that there is a huge problem with the sport's governing body and something should be done about it. I think you need to better understand ones point before you go off on an ignorant little rant that barely makes any sense.

Not to get in the middle of someone else's spat here.. I think we all understand how obscenely corrupt and idiotic FIFA and something should be done about it. But that's like saying "the American political system is obscenely corrupt and something should be done about it." I don't know how much validity to the idea that FIFA rules the football world and the sport couldn't exist without it. But I think MrCatra's point was that if you're looking for a solution to fix FIFA, that solution is not going to be for leagues to secede from FIFA.

• Like 1