Qatar 2022

arwebb

Premier League chiefs have slammed FIFA president Sepp Blatter's plan to move the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to the winter.

There has been widespread concern over the health dangers posed by staging the tournament in the Gulf in June and July where temperatures rocket to 50 degrees (122 degrees Fahrenheit).

And Blatter this week confronted the issue by stating he believed the tournament could not take place in the summer, and that position has been backed up by the international players' union FIFPro.

Blatter insisted he would push to have the World Cup moved despite the effects it could have on domestic leagues when the FIFA Executive Committee meets on October 3 and 4.

"The Executive Committee will certainly follow me," he was quoted as saying.

"It is clear that you cannot play in this heat in the summer and we have to consider the players."

But the Premier League have been vocal opponents of the winter idea on the grounds it will cause major disruption to three domestic seasons, the 2021-22 season and the ones either side, as well as impacting on broadcasting contracts.

And Blatter's latest comments drew a scathing response from the organisation on Thursday.

"The Premier League position remains unchanged. The prospect of a winter World Cup is neither workable nor desirable for European domestic football," a Premier League spokesman said.

Does FIFA really want to take on the richest and arguably most powerful league in World Football?

I mean, annoying the little ol' English FA by running a shoddy bid process is one thing, taking on a multi-billion pound league with the backing of broadcasters around the world.....

Well.....popcorn at the ready!

Edited by RobH

Speaking of Americans.. I wonder how Fox would react to the tournament moving to the fall. They bought the rights assuming it would be during the summer when they have little going on other than (presumably) baseball and maybe some NASCAR. If it move to the fall, that's going to be tough for them to work it around football, both NFL and college. I wonder if they were smart enough to put it in their contract with FIFA that they might get a rebate or something and/or may want to re-negotiate if the 2022 World Cup got moved.

I'm with Rob.. this is going to be some great comedic drama that plays out. Almost seems like a battle of who can make the most senseless decisions here. I love it!

• Like 1

Part of me thinks this is an orchestrated move on Blatter's part to have the tournament moved from Qatar because the lawsuits that will come from the Premier League, Bundesliga, DFB, the FA, USSA, FFA, JFA, KFA etc would be enough to void the contract.

Part of me thinks this is an orchestrated move on Blatter's part to have the tournament moved from Qatar because the lawsuits that will come from the Premier League, Bundesliga, DFB, the FA, USSA, FFA, JFA, KFA etc would be enough to void the contract.

Whatever happened to Michael Garcia's findings? Are the early results of his findings a cause for Blatter issuing the latest blatherings??

I don't know. The idea of watching the World Cup on Thanksgiving has a certain appeal. Theoretically the final could be on Christmas Day. which falls on a Sunday in 2022.

Seriously though, this is the only reasonable solution. It is going to be an inconvenience to many parties, but they will just have to adapt. The whole coordinated international calendar will need to be re-worked, but this can be accomplished. It just another price to pay for the decision to award this WC to a highly dubious candidiate.

I still think FIFA should suffer the consequences of their actions. They voted for a summer WC in Qatar. That's what should happen. This business about "new medical research" on the effects of 50C heat on humans is total malarkey. I'm pretty sure we've known for centuries that it's a bit less than ideal.

Why stop at $200 billion? You're gonna have to do better than that to impress me

OMFG! Lmfao! FIFA's Sochi?! The most expensive World Cup ever! Sochi's 2014 is looking like a bargain now at 75% off the suggested Qatari price! Will Doha have anything left to mount an Olympic bid afterwards! :blink:

Since it is my point of reference: 200 billion in Ontario would buy

A second Toronto airport: 4.5 billion (based on BBA pricing)

A highspeed rail line from Detroit to Quebec City at roughly 15 million

Cover the entire public LRT, subway and commuter rail development within the GHMA at roughly 20 billion

Sh!t I've only spent 1/5 of it and it covers the 3 major infrastructure projects my province needs.

Add in another 40 billion for sewer, water, road and bridge repair and construction and improvements in the canal system and that's still only 2/5 of what Qatar is spending. Dear G-d. I wish Ontario had more money than brains.

Edited by faster

I don't know. The idea of watching the World Cup on Thanksgiving has a certain appeal. Theoretically the final could be on Christmas Day. which falls on a Sunday in 2022.

Except it would probably be Christian nations in the semis and the finals (Spain, Italy, Brazil, Germany, France, Argentina, Netherlands...the UK, the USA :) ) ...so what would their supporters be doing in a muslim land on Christmas Day??? :blink: Plan NEEDS lotsa work.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Since it is my point of reference: 200 billion in Ontario would buy

A second Toronto airport: 4.5 billion (based on BBA pricing)

A highspeed rail line from Detroit to Quebec City at roughly 15 million

Cover the entire public LRT, subway and commuter rail development within the GHMA at roughly 20 billion

Sh!t I've only spent 1/5 of it and it covers the 3 major infrastructure projects my province needs.

Add in another 40 billion for sewer, water, road and bridge repair and construction and improvements in the canal system and that's still only 2/5 of what Qatar is spending. Dear G-d. I wish Ontario had more money than brains.

Or it could virtually overhaul Detroit.

• Like 1

I still think FIFA should suffer the consequences of their actions. They voted for a summer WC in Qatar. That's what should happen. This business about "new medical research" on the effects of 50C heat on humans is total malarkey. I'm pretty sure we've known for centuries that it's a bit less than ideal.

you do realize that people could actually die if FIFA decided to be this spiteful. okay, granted, stupid people - and football fans at that - but still. and just our luck it would be some pasty british guy and then we'd never stop hearing about it.

Nuh ... I liked his "12 pesos and a half price Groupon" comment on Madrid's budget. I literally laughed out loud. But Krow's sure been on fire this week!

in all fairness to madrid that's just about the rolls royce of groupons if you ever get the chance. they never have bronze body or sunset tan on there anymore, only darque tan but that place is gross because they don't wipe down beds between uses.

Except it would probably be Christian nations in the semis and the finals (Spain, Italy, Brazil, Germany, France, Argentina, Netherlands...the UK, the USA :) ) ...so what would their supporters be doing in a muslim land on Christmas Day??? :blink: Plan NEEDS lotsa work.

True, but if they did they would have an easier time doing their Christmas shopping in their free time as the malls in Doha will be a lot less crowded on the 24th.

you do realize that people could actually die if FIFA decided to be this spiteful. okay, granted, stupid people - and football fans at that - but still. and just our luck it would be some pasty british guy and then we'd never stop hearing about it.

Anybody with two brain cells to rub together should be able to avoid death by Qatar 2022 -- that is except for the poor indentured servants who will have to build the stadia. Of course they get shafted no matter when the WC is held...

Could this be a "B team" World Cup? The EPL has already stated opposition to moving the WC to the winter and disrupting league play. I'm not sure how rules work in the EPL regarding release of players but I would think teams could decide not to release their players for their respective national teams. If most of the top players aren't released by their clubs, it would force teams that qualify to send lesser talented squads resulting in a WC that would be seen by many as tainted while I'm sure the Qataris would claim a conspiracy to sabotage the first ever WC in the Islamic world.

I don't see the EPL, La Liga, or the Budesliga rearranging their league schedules so players can play in a winter WC.

The clock is ticking. They have 9 years left to resolve 2022. I certainly can see FIFA's (belated) concerns; and I also see the Qataris' legitimate stance. Would late evening Games in the original June-July calendar be feasible? They would play in Euro primetime.

How about putting electric fans all around the field? :lol: Giving the refs their own mini-fans on their chests? B)

Edited by baron-pierreIV