Qatar 2022

arwebb

1st off: Qatar would block that move. And I imagine this is a matter that would be brought before the CAS -- not the ICJ.

2- Revote for whom? Host countries to hold it in the winter? :blink: Then that would only be Oz and RSA (their winter). Having the US rebid (and a fresh one from China or Canada?) just wouldn't make sense in the legal context.

It all depends on how the award contract is worded. As I said, FIFA will need the best int'l lawyers to squirm out of this one "legally."

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 4 weeks later...

1st off: Qatar would block that move. And I imagine this is a matter that would be brought before the CAS -- not the ICJ.

2- Revote for whom? Host countries to hold it in the winter? :blink: Then that would only be Oz and RSA (their winter). Having the US rebid (and a fresh one from China or Canada?) just wouldn't make sense in the legal context.

It all depends on how the award contract is worded. As I said, FIFA will need the best int'l lawyers to squirm out of this one "legally."

Didn't Qatar say in their bid it was for a summer world cup?

I feel like this is all going to end badly

• 4 weeks later...

Qatar is set to invest over US$200 billion in construction projects ahead of its staging of the 2022 FIFA World Cup, according to a report by Deloitte.

Qatar is set to invest over US$200 billion in construction projects ahead of its staging of the 2022 FIFA World Cup, according to a report by Deloitte.

The business advisory firm’s report, entitled ‘Insight into the Qatar construction market and opportunities for real estate developers’ examines the construction market in Qatar and assesses opportunities for real estate developers in the country. It details that Qatar National Vision 2013 and programmes such as Q2022 are focusing on leaving a legacy for Qatar in terms of football, infrastructure and economic development.

In terms of infrastructure, the Deloitte report states Qatar plans to invest over $140 billion in transport infrastructure in anticipation of the World Cup. Plans to construct new roads and a metro system have been put forth in order to support the anticipated influx of football visitors in addition to the airport expansion which is already underway. Deloitte experts expect this influx to also bring with it an increased demand for accommodation, with numerous worldwide chain hotels actively considering investments in the country. The report states Qatar Tourism Authority plans to invest about $20 billion on tourism infrastructure as the number of tourist arrivals grows at a rate of 15.9% compounded annually, to reach 3.7 million by 2022.

Deloitte states that “immense opportunities” exist for developers in the region and beyond, due in part to the infrastructure requirements of the World Cup, and also as part of realising Qatar’s national vision. Jesdev Saggar, managing director of infrastructure and capital projects at Deloitte Corporate Finance Limited, said: “With the world focused on Qatar’s every move, it is imperative that the local industry prepares itself for the plethora of international organisations that are ready to descend on Doha. Preparing for the competition is as important to everyone on the built environment, as it will be when the games start.”

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4632/soccerex/2013/07/09/4104708/qatar-set-to-break-200-billion-investment-barrier-ahead-of-world-

BRING ON THE LAWYERS!!!! :D

FIFA President Sepp Blatter plans to ask the governing body's executive committee to consider moving the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to the winter in order to avoid the searing summer heat.

"If this World Cup is to become a party for the people, you can't play football in the summer,'' Blatter said Wednesday. "You can cool down the stadiums but you can't cool down the whole country.''

Despite health concerns included in an official report before the vote, the FIFA executive committee opted for the tiny emirate's bid in 2010. Blatter has repeatedly refused to say if he backed Qatar, which can have temperatures of 50 degrees C (122 degrees F) during the summer.

In May, Blatter said in an interview with a French newspaper it would be "not rational and reasonable'' to stage the first World Cup in the Middle East in the summertime.

Moving the tournament to the winter would have a major impact on the schedule of European football leagues, which would have to change things for at least one season.

"There is still enough time,'' Blatter said. "I will bring this up to the executive committee.''

Air-conditioned stadiums to beat the heat were a defining theme of Qatar's bid, but the cooling technology only resolves the problem in venues for players, fans and officials.

"We have to protect our partners, our commercial partners, our TV partners. We have to be tough on this,'' said Blatter, who spoke during a two-day conference on sports, media and economy set up by German great Franz Beckenbauer in Austria.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130717/qatar-world-cup-winter-2022.ap/?sct=sc_t2_a4

You can cool down the stadiums but you can't cool down the whole country

sounds like a challenge to me, sepp. underground tunnels, indoor walkways, monorails with indoor stations, temperature-controlled biodomes, giant sun-blocking disks.

better yet, qatar could always consider just bribing the sun. sometimes you just have to stick with what works.

Edited by krow
  • Like 3

Humid heat is more common in the gulf coastal cities such as Doha and other cities hosting the world cup Al-Wakra, Al-Shamal and Al-Khor

humidity with temperature between 30-40 degrees at night feels much worse than dry heat at noon .. you can't breath ..average human can't stay outside conditioned buildings for a long time in such circumstances.

Humid heat is more common in the gulf coastal cities such as Doha and other cities hosting the world cup Al-Wakra, Al-Shamal and Al-Khor

humidity with temperature between 30-40 degrees at night feels much worse than dry heat at noon .. you can't breath ..average human can't stay outside conditioned buildings for a long time in such circumstances.

i found this surprising, so i did a little internet research.

the site i found prefers using "dew point" over relative humidity as a gauge for comfort in a city, and seems to suggest that a dew point between 50-60°F is ideal. for doha it says, "There are two periods in the year that are most comfortable: The first is between January 1 and April 17 and the second is between November 23 and December 31. The air feels neither too dry nor too muggy during these periods." (indeed, dew point tops out at about 62°F during this period).

dew point for june and july can reach 75-81°F, which is labeled "very oppressive." so there you go!

http://weatherspark.com/averages/32878/Doha-Ad-Dawhah-Qatar%2Bdoha+humidity&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&client=firefox-a&hl=en&ct=clnk

It’ll be fun to see a country spend ¼ trillion-dollars on a sport tournament. I’m seriously excited to see the show. All those amazing arenas will be packed for sure if they are air conditioned, and I think krow was kidding but I bet Qatar will provide a vast network of sheltered and controlled environments and transportation that keep people out of the sun if they need to be. If money is no object to begin with, and then you add in the typical double or triple overruns, this could be the first trillion-dollar sport event on earth!

If money is no object to begin with, and then you add in the typical double or triple overruns, this could be the first trillion-dollar sport event on earth!

You could well be right. the official budget, at this moment, is bad enough. It makes Sochi look cheap:

Qatar to spend $200 billion for 2022 FIFA World Cup

Qatar has pledged to spend around $200 billion in the next eight years, ahead of the 2022 FIFA World Cup, sportskeeda.com reports.

This enormous sum will be spent, largely on construction and infrastructure projects. Qatar has made its intention clear on wanting to become a venue of international repute. Considering that they will be hosting the Men’s Handball World Championships in 2015, golf events, indoor track championships, handball events, and the MotoGP among others, the spending will indeed be necessary.

Over $140 billion over the next five years will be spent on infrastructure projects. These projects will include the creation of about 90,000 hotel rooms, 12 stadiums, a new port, metro and rail systems.

An estimated 400,000 excited fans will have to be accommodated during these major sporting events, with the biggest being the football World Cup. Malls and other such assets are also on the anvil.

The temperature around the time of the Cup was a matter of concern as they would reach as high as 50 degree Celsius.

Qatar 2022 Bid’s official site has explained that the stadiums will be designed to be able to harness solar energy and convert it to electrical energy, thereby using it to cool the stadium by considerable amounts.

The World Cup is going to cost Qatar approximately ($200 billion). This is about 60 times the $3.5 billion that South Africa spent on the 2010 FIFA World Cup

Panarmenian

That amount is obscene.

It really is. How many more meaningful benefits to humanity could be afforded for that sum? I realize people always make that argument about major sporting events, but seriously. There is such a thing as vaingloriously gilding the lily and THAT'S IT.

That amount is obscene.

It really is. How many more meaningful benefits to humanity could be afforded for that sum? I realize people always make that argument about major sporting events, but seriously. There is such a thing as vaingloriously gilding the lily and THAT'S IT.

My thoughts exactly when I read that figure.

A truly foul amount money to sink into a single event.

I almost feel like Qatar will meet some kind financial or natural devastation before that, like a strange moral punishment for such sheer greed.

Edited by runningrings

Of course, they could be spending that trillion dollars on missile defense and projects to annihilate Israel. So a sports tournament is a good bargain. Maybe each stadium will have a pet-disease-cause...just to make the whole thing palatable.

If the damned thing will now be held in the winter, they're going to have to upend the whole A/C technology and provide HEATED stadia for the events!! :lol::lol:

Bach Open to Blatter World Cup Switch

IOC presidential candidate Thomas Bach is satisfied that Sepp Blatter’s plan to move the FIFA Qatar 2022 World Cup to the winter months will not impact the 2022 Olympics.

"There will be no conflict because president Sepp Blatter has clearly stated that he prefers November, December 2022 for the organisation of the FIFA World Cup,” Bach said.

“This would be nine months away from the Olympic Winter Games."

Concerns had been voiced that switching the 2022 FIFA showpiece to winter to avoide the desert heat in the Gulf nation would clash with that year’s Games.

The FIFA president, who has over the past two years revised his views on a move to staging Qatar 2022 in winter, yesterday made comments suggesting he is now strongly in favor of the switch. He said discussions would be held at the executive committee meeting on October 3 and 4.

"The executive committee will certainly follow my proposal. Then we will have dealt with it for good,” was quoted by the SID news agency as saying at a two-day sports conference in Austria.

Qatar 2022’s bid book submission included plans to hold the tournament in air-conditioned stadia.

Blatter cited new medical evidence highlighting the dangers to players and fans of playing games in temperatures of up to 50C in the June to July World Cup window. Temperatures are a comfortable 20C in the Qatari winter.

He added: "The Fifa World Cup must be a festival of the people, but, for it to be such a festival, you can't play football in the summer.”

Qatar 2022 organising committee chief Hassan Al-Thawadi, speaking to the conference via satellite link, reiterated his previous statements on a winter World Cup: “If it’s a wish of the football community to have the World Cup in winter, then we are open to that.”

Relocating the FIFA World Cup to winter would have a huge impact on the European leagues.

The English Premier League has always objected to the idea. "We are opposed to the concept of a winter World Cup for very obvious practical reasons that would impact on all of European domestic football,” it said in a statement.

Thanks George