Qatar 2022

arwebb

Qatar World Cup is a very crazy idea, and I do not think that it will be organized in winter. Most of the domestic leagues will have trouble so FIFA will keep with cooled stadiums. The only thing I agree with FIFA is that the Arab culture is exciting and the stadiums are pretty.

• 1 month later...

Fifa president Sepp Blatter believes it is "not rational" to play the 2022 World Cup in the summer heat of Qatar, where temperatures can hit 50C.

Air-conditioned stadia have been planned, but the Swiss has expressed concerns about the implications for people outside the venues.

"The World Cup is more than just stadiums, it's an array of social and cultural activities,'' he said.

"What do we do? It's not rational and reasonable to play in June-July."

Speaking about the 2022 vote, Blatter said voters were influenced by the pressure to take the World Cup to the Middle East for the first time.

He said: "There were interventions at different levels so that it would go to an Arab country. Geopolitics did its work."

He continued: "Before the awarding of a World Cup or Olympic Games, there is a meeting with the politicians. We had it here in Zurich.

"They influence the voters. England didn't get the 2018 World Cup and, ever since, there has been a cold war with Fifa.''

Does he still not realise WHY England, its democratic traditions, its press, its fans, the country that fucking well invented the game and gave it to the world has a problem with a world governing body that has been shown to be institutionally corrupt?

If there's a cold war between our FA and FIFA I hope we don't make the first move towards changing the situation, because we don't need FIFA's approval unlike Qatar, South Africa, or Russia. Or if we do I hope it's a fucking nuclear missile into the heart of Blatter's empire - that's a good way of ending a Cold War right?

As for the Qatar revelations, there's no point even commenting. Pissing money up the wall for a world cup no one wants to see in a country where they estimate dozens will die building the stadiums. Yay!

This forum can be quite therapeutic sometimes.

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

Gotta love how he breathlessly mentions the Olympic Games in the same sentence as FIFA in terms of the bids- seems rather off and not really how the IOC does it.

On that note, could you imagine Rogge having to lower himself to such justification- clearly his words are a mark of something foul being suppressed.

"It's not rational and reasonable to play in July" that's because it's not rational and reasonable to award a WC to Qatar. Furthermore, isn't this something FIFA should have questioned during the bidding process instead of overloading itself with TWO bidding processes at once (WHY NOT MAKE IT THREE FOR FUN, LOL?!), and being "pressured by geopolitics to take the event to the Middle East."

Geopolitics- what a crock of ****. This guy is a liar, its as obvious as a blue sky.

On the side of ethics,, I'm incensed at the sheer irresponsibility of FIFA with this event. RobH is right, people will die. Qatar uses what can only be described as foreign labour to build its projects. Their government facilitates program's that recruit foreign workers, and are known to confront them with the huge "recruitment fees" once they have arrived, and have no means of returning to where they have come from. It is, by definition, human trafficking, and a similar model used in exploiting women as sex workers. also, They are paid deceptively lower that what was promised, suicide is rife. It's all over the web, and no doubt these air conditioned mega stadiums will be built the same way.

Additionally, in terms of the environment- can you imagine the impact of building dozens of huge stadiums will have on the environment? And then air conditioning them?

This whole thing still makes my blood boil. I hope 2022 is a monumental, devastating failure.

Edited by runningrings
  • Like 1

FIFA's got to have the best lawyers to extricate itself from the 2022 mess. Unless they have it in the award contract that the organization can "....recall the award for any reason summarily...," it will have a fight on its hands from Qatar like no other. Plus, even if it's taken back from Qatar, it just dug itself a deeper grave. Can you imagine the fallout from the Middle East and what? 22 muslim countries probably?? They will boycott and sit out the competition. Regardless of where then it will be held, it will be sullied and spoiled, with a lot of bad blood and probably, bloody repercussions. And then, if the plum's been taken away, Doha will want the Olympics even more -- and another denial would only fuel charges that the world is discriminating against them. (Ya think? :blink: )

So, let 2022 stew where it is. The die has been cast.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

The fact that two years and half later this keeps causing controversy is the absolute proof that FIFA screwed up big time. I mean, even Blatter is showing signs of regret.

I hope the other FA's start to grow a pair once and for all and confront this shitty organization which has ashamed the world of football. And i'm certain a lot of people are going to celebrate the day Blatter finally leaves the organization.

Blatter is suporting Qatar 2022 to be held in winter, it is almost a fact.

But Qatar doesn't want to move it. And should it happen, 2022's a WOG winter year So a Winter WC would have to work around that.

So, it'll have to start NOT on SuperBowl weekend. And then WOG starts around Feb 7-14. And usually ends Feb 28. And then the Oscars and March Madness start -- so Qatar 2022 is NOT going to get the best US broadcast bids.

And then people will freeze in the desert at night.

Total asses.

It's amazing how much this farce of a World Cup bid has continued to become more and more farcical. And what's amazing is that Blatter and his gang of FIFA goons is the one taking the fall for it what the Qatar organizers haven't said a word (probably because they think they can buy their way out of trouble.. let's see how well that works for them). The problem with that being that Blatter can't unilaterally move the World Cup out of the summer. He needs the Qataris to offer that move themselves.

The problem now is that FIFA is damned if they do and they're damned if they don't. Which is to say.. they're caught between Iraq and a hard place. They should admit they screwed up on this one and rescind the 2022 World Cup hosting rights from Qatar. Obviously that's not going to happen, more for political reasons than anything. I agree 100% with baron that any action taken against Qatar will be perceived as a slight against the entire Arab World and that's a wound it could take FIFA decades to recover from. To runningrings' point.. I don't have a problem so much with geopolitics affecting a situation like this, but clearly FIFA's desire to hold a World Cup in this part of the world blinded them to the fact that Qatar's bid and their plan to host really didn't meet the minimum standards for a World Cup host country. Contrast that with the IOC who couldn't be more open about their intentions to go to Africa, but I don't see them accepting a sub-par bid just to get there.

So essentially FIFA is left to wallow in their own mess. They created this problem and now they have to live with it. Normally for the good of everyone involved, I wouldn't wish for the worst, but I almost am here. It's too late for FIFA and Qatar to backtrack now so they have to let the show go on, even knowing how poorly this is going to turn out for a lot of people involved. Maybe if all is right with the world (yes, the 'arrogant American' is gonna go there).. they'll put the 2026 World Cup in the United States and finally start to get this country to embrace soccer like it already very quietly is. And then for 2030, with all due respect to Argentina/Uruguay, celebrate the centennial of the World Cup in the place where soccer football was born and finally return to England

• Like 1

I really don't think its too late .... there is 9 years to go. I don't agree either with the idea that the entire Muslim world will boycott 2022 if a new host is found... c'mon. I doubt the likes of Turkey, Azerbaijan, Indonesia, Morocco, etc.. really give a damn about the goings on in Qatar. Remember, culturally the Arab world as different to these other countries as the Spain is from Uganda.

I think the powers that be could well see the picture for what it is. I'm sure the UAE is quietly pleased their Qatari rivals aspirations are unravelling. In fact , if it weren't for this seasonal issue, I think a joint Gulf World Cup would have worked well, and made more sense, if we had UAE/Bahrain/Qatar hosting jointly.

• Like 1

I really don't think its too late .... there is 9 years to go. I don't agree either with the idea that the entire Muslim world will boycott 2022 if a new host is found... c'mon. I doubt the likes of Turkey, Azerbaijan, Indonesia, Morocco, etc.. really give a damn about the goings on in Qatar. Remember, culturally the Arab world as different to these other countries as the Spain is from Uganda.

I think the powers that be could well see the picture for what it is. I'm sure the UAE is quietly pleased their Qatari rivals aspirations are unravelling. In fact , if it weren't for this seasonal issue, I think a joint Gulf World Cup would have worked well, and made more sense, if we had UAE/Bahrain/Qatar hosting jointly.

It's too late. I think it became too late about 5 seconds after they turned around the placard that said Qatar.

The problem is that for all of Blatter's blathering, would reason could they give to take the World Cup away from Qatar? Which is to say.. what has happened between December 2010 and now where FIFA could justify that? I won't go so far as to say the entire Arab world would boycott FIFA, but that's not something that would sit well with them because, while nations like Turkey and Morocco are culturally different from the gulf states, this is supposed to be a big moment that an Arab nation is hosting such a high profile event. How is it going to be perceived by them to be awarded the event, only to have it taken away from them without some serious smoking gun to say they're no longer worthy. Again, it would take decades for FIFA to repair their reputation with that part of the world if they did that, IMO

I understand your point that it could be too late if an appropriate mechanism wasn't already in place to facilitate a takeover host, however I don't think it would damage FIFA's reputation that badly in the region. By the time bidding for 2026 rolled around, if appropriate interest was there from the likes of Morocco or the UAE (or even joint with Qatar again) I'm sure they seize the opportunity. If, it is proved that corruption did play a hand in the awarding of 2022 to Qatar, then it is also a case of IF FIFA would even want to associate with Qatar again.

I still say 2022 should go forward exactly as planned. The Qataris knew what they were proposing. FIFA knew what proposal they were accepting (and endorsing overwhelmingly). FIFA clearly wanted a summer World Cup in Qatar with air conditioned stadia. That is exactly what they should get.

That is also the best way to insure that FIFA thinks before they vote next time. If they undo this decision what's to prevent them from meddling with future World Cups for worse reasons?

No.

I feel very strongly that FIFA and Qatar have made their bed. It's time to lie in it -- however painful that may be. No change of date or venue. Period.

• Like 1

I understand your point that it could be too late if an appropriate mechanism wasn't already in place to facilitate a takeover host, however I don't think it would damage FIFA's reputation that badly in the region. By the time bidding for 2026 rolled around, if appropriate interest was there from the likes of Morocco or the UAE (or even joint with Qatar again) I'm sure they seize the opportunity. If, it is proved that corruption did play a hand in the awarding of 2022 to Qatar, then it is also a case of IF FIFA would even want to associate with Qatar again.

That's the problem.. what mechanism is there? How does FIFA take the World Cup away from Qatar if they want to? How do they justify it? How do they break an agreement with the Qataris that won't be perceived as some sort of anti-Arab message? Don't forget.. there was some commotion over the London 2012 logo from Arab countries (particularly from Iran who did threaten to potentially boycott the Olympics) that the logo spelled out the word "ZION" and there were official complaints made to the IOC. That's what I think they're risking here.

So let's say they did give 2022 to a takeover host. Do you really think the UAE is going to want to play their hand and risk themselves in a bid. And if Qatar has 2022 stripped from them, do you really think they'll want anything to do with FIFA as early as 2026? Again, that's what is being risked. Losing Qatar and any of their nearby neighbors who might want to support them in a show of solidarity. That's the politics that would be involved in this and there's no easy way around it.

(particularly from Iran who did threaten to potentially boycott the Olympics) that the logo spelled out the word "ZION" and there were official complaints made to the IOC.

That's so rich coming from Iran...when they shot themselves in the foot when the 2009 Islamic Solidarity Games, scheduled for Tehran, were cancelled because the logo and the literature called it the 'Persian Gulf.' Immediately, the neighboring emirates and shakedowns were up in arms because to them, it is the 'Arab Gulf.' Of course, that the 2009 ISG didn't happen was no great loss to the sporting world anyway.

But it's just an example of the super-sensitivity muslim states like to display when there is the slightest perceived 'slight' hurled at them. And I know runnings is going to take this example and use it to show that the muslims aren't all the same. Runnings (from what are you running?), it's like with black people in the US -- they self-mockingly call each other 'nigger' without batting an eyelash...but let a person of non-color just make a slip of the tongue, and they are all up in arms!! And of course, that double standard is even quadrupled in the black muslim mindset!

But it's just an example of the super-sensitivity muslim states like to display when there is the slightest perceived 'slight' hurled at them. And I know runnings is going to take this example and use it to show that the muslims aren't all the same. Runnings (from what are you running?), it's like with black people in the US -- they self-mockingly call each other 'nigger' without batting an eyelash...but let a person of non-color just make a slip of the tongue, and they are all up in arms!! And of course, that double standard is even quadrupled in the black muslim mindset!

Good lord, baron.. that might be one of the most offensive posts I've ever seen on any discussion board. Not that I care personally, but my goodness. There's about 6 places in that post most people wouldn't touch. Do you read things things before you hit the Post button?

yes. I just tell things as they are. It's true. I have seen it and heard it with my own eyes and ears when I used to board the SF bus (#19) that ended up in the projects (OJ's old neighborhood). Just double-standard and I don't get blinded by being PC. Oh, the back-slapping glee that goes with it too on the buses... :rolleyes:

Baron - as usual you're oversimplifying extremely complex situations you clearly haven't given much thought about aside from basic judgements from news reports.

As for the 'sensitivity' of black people and certain words they use themselves, its not okay for non-black people to use (I'm thinking of particularly white people here) because it had derogatory roots coming FROM this empowered group of people TO a group of disempowered people. When a word like that is said within a community, its often coming from a place of solidarity (although it could still be argued that it is not okay), but when it comes from the outside it has a whole lot of baggage/connotations that are designed to offend.

Baron - as usual you're oversimplifying extremely complex situations you clearly haven't given much thought about aside from basic judgements from news reports.

As for the 'sensitivity' of black people and certain words they use themselves, its not okay for non-black people to use (I'm thinking of particularly white people here) because it had derogatory roots coming FROM this empowered group of people TO a group of disempowered people. When a word like that is said within a community, its often coming from a place of solidarity (although it could still be argued that it is not okay), but when it comes from the outside it has a whole lot of baggage/connotations that are designed to offend.

Oh details. Life is too short to be too analytical. Go with the flow. Go with your feelings!!

I am so over this Qatar 2022 thing. I was upset for a long time, but I just accepted it as a by-product of the rampant corruption going on inside FIFA since the Havelange years. It will be interesting to see how they pull this off. It looks like they have been rehearsing for 2022 recently when Doha hosted two WC qualifiers in a given day when Qatar and Iraq (playing their home matches in Doha) both played home matches on the same day, albeit on a much smaller scale.

If they move it out of the summer, I hope it is towards the end of the year. I know that would require a re-working of the football calendar as we know it, but we are talking the greatest championship in sport here. As far as the US TV rights. Fox and Telemundo have already been awarded the rights for 2018 and 2022 for a combined $1 billion. Fox could have a field day with a October World Cup, bundling the World Cup during the day with the World Series at night (although I think their current MLB deal only runs to 2021).

• Like 1