Qatar 2022

arwebb

Qatar 2022 will be either forgotten quickly or remembered as an utter failure and most likely will become a "lost" World Cup, but if that's the price to pay for a complete FIFA clean up, then I'm ready to pay it.

you don't know that. i hate to be the defender of qatar because it's ridiculous in an 'inappropriate bid competition' way but there's something to be said for a world cup where you can walk to all the matches.

you don't know that. i hate to be the defender of qatar because it's ridiculous in an 'inappropriate bid competition' way but there's something to be said for a world cup where you can walk to all the matches.

Yea, I'm sure folks will be big fans of walking to matches.. in 100+ degree heat.

I think for most people who watch the matches and experience the World Cup from their television and computers in the comfort of their home (or in bars/restaurants/public squares, etc.), their feelings towards the World Cup will be based on how good the games are. Aside from the heat factor that could affect play, if the action is memorable, that will be what they take away from it.

That said.. this is Qatar we're talking about. You have to get people to travel there in the first place and attend the games. You need places for them to stay. You need restaurants and other entertainment for them because it's not like they're going to do nothing but watch football matches. So on that nugget, I think reindeer is probably right that either people won't want to spend their money to travel to Qatar and/or those who do may not find it to be the most enjoyable experience.

I certainly can't speak to having been to Qatar, nor can I think of anyone off-hand who has been there. To me, it just doesn't seem like the type of destination that football fans are going to flock to, even for a big event like this. How many folks will be turned off by a country that doesn't allow public consumption of alcohol? I know I sure would be!

Yea, I'm sure folks will be big fans of walking to matches.. in 100+ degree heat.

Exactly! We take shelter during the summer. We tend to avoid walking outside during the summer especially from 11 AM to 4 PM. I really don't know how the foreign soccer fans will handle the heat in Qatar. Maybe Qatar will provide the spectators with free hotel rooms or something to "ease" the pain. We will have to wait and see.

Dont forget alcohol and Budweiser is a main sponsor.

This is another issue I am trying to understand. Who will be qualified to have access to alcohol during the competitions? Do you have to have a foreign ID? What if you do have it but you belong to a specific faith? I remember reading an article about some negotiations between Qatar and FIFA regarding the liquor question. What baffles me is the fact that the FIFA did NOT address these issues earlier... like before the vote.

This is another issue I am trying to understand. Who will be qualified to have access to alcohol during the competitions? Do you have to have a foreign ID? What if you do have it but you belong to a specific faith? I remember reading an article about some negotiations between Qatar and FIFA regarding the liquor question. What baffles me is the fact that the FIFA did NOT address these issues earlier... like before the vote.

They will have special alcohol zones outside the stadium lol.

This is going to be half empty stadiums WC.

They will have special alcohol zones outside the stadium lol.

can you bring the alcohol into the stadium? can you get belligerently drunk inside the zones? what happens when you leave the zones? how ridiculous are those lines going to be?

Looks like the possibility of a winter World Cup in Qatar is getting more likely with Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards and Britain's FIFA VP Jim Boyce backing moving the tournament. Michel D'Hooge, chairman of FIFA medical committee stated he backed a move earlier in the week. I would think the Premier League coming on board with the idea that it will not be long before the World Cup is rescheduled.

Regarding alcohol consumption in Qatar, I've been to Doha and alcohol cannot be consumed anywhere in public, only in establishments like hotels and restaurants. There will be special fan zones for spectators to purchase alcohol but they will not be permitted to take it back to their seats.

Maybe the Premier League hasn't given their approval. The CEO has come out opposing the move because he does not want the season to be interrupted. Supposing the 2022 World Cup is moved to the winter months with the Premier League against it would it be possible for Premier League teams to refuse to release their players for their respective national teams? I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the league. If this were to occur then you could potentially have a World Cup being contested by "B teams." That would be a disaster for FIFA.

If February and early March will be the timeslot for the Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games, that leaves us with late March and April, but Ramadan 2022 will start in early April that year. Is it possible to have a World Cup during the holiest month in Qatar? I guess January is best option but again we will have to wait and see.

Maybe the Premier League hasn't given their approval. The CEO has come out opposing the move because he does not want the season to be interrupted. Supposing the 2022 World Cup is moved to the winter months with the Premier League against it would it be possible for Premier League teams to refuse to release their players for their respective national teams? I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the league. If this were to occur then you could potentially have a World Cup being contested by "B teams." That would be a disaster for FIFA.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.. isn't it the Qatar 2022 committee that has to initiate the move to change the calendar? Don't know if they need the sign-off from likes like the Premier League and others, although it would be interesting if Qatar made that push without everyone else being on board

Blistering Qatar could lose right to stage 2022 FIFA WC: Blatter

London: FIFA president Sepp Blatter has admitted Qatar could lose the right to stage the World Cup nin 2022 as temperatures in the Arab country rise above 50 degrees in summer.

UEFA president Michel Platini has already called for the tournament to be switched to the winter, saying at 50 degrees, you cannot possibly play football.

However, Blatter said if the Arabs ask for that change it could bring a legal challenge from the US, Australia, South Korea and Japan, who also bid to stage the finals.

Blatter added for there to be a change to winter it is necessary that Qatar ask for it and they have not done so yet.

Blatter said Qatar know if they do they risk another of the 2022 candidates bringing a challenge before FIFA and the vote would have to be repeated.

ZeeNews

Trust old Sepp to calm down the situation!

It's as if FIFA is claiming they have just now discovered the temperature problem. They knew full well about Qatar's climate when they voted overwhelmingly in its favor. The air-conditioning solution was good enough for them before. What's wrong with it now?

If I were the Qataris, I would be miffed. FIFA made a deal with Qatar and now FIFA is going back on their word. It's no more complicated than that.

*reaches for the popcorn*

This slowly unravelling relationship between Qatar and FIFA is going to be great viewing!! Lets hope the Americans, Aussies, Japanese and Koreans band together and throw the Swiss book at them.

I'd say right about now, FIFA owes these four countries the money they spent campaigning for their event.

*reaches for the popcorn*

This slowly unravelling relationship between Qatar and FIFA is going to be great viewing!! Lets hope the Americans, Aussies, Japanese and Koreans band together and throw the Swiss book at them.

I'd say right about now, FIFA owes these four countries the money they spent campaigning for their event.

I know, it's making for great theater, isn't it? It's like all these issues that the rest of us all knew would come up are now becoming apparent to FIFA after they were too blinded by the money to notice.

I hope FIFA realizes what they've done here, because not only are they making themselves look like fools, but Qatar probably isn't going to come out of this all too well. At this point, there's no good way out of this mess without leaving a lot of feelings hurt. I mean, I'm more than happy to watch FIFA crash and burn on this one, but I agree that the 4 losing countries from the 2022 vote will definitely have an axe to grind over this one.

I know, it's making for great theater, isn't it? It's like all these issues that the rest of us all knew would come up are now becoming apparent to FIFA after they were too blinded by the money to notice.

I hope FIFA realizes what they've done here, because not only are they making themselves look like fools, but Qatar probably isn't going to come out of this all too well. At this point, there's no good way out of this mess without leaving a lot of feelings hurt. I mean, I'm more than happy to watch FIFA crash and burn on this one, but I agree that the 4 losing countries from the 2022 vote will definitely have an axe to grind over this one.

Additionally, the one positive outcome from FIFA's bizarre practice of electing two future hosts together (I mean, really?) leaves room for error. Even if Qatar loses hosting rights, and it takes another two years for FIFA to select a new 2022 host, there would still be six or so years for a replacement host to organise the event after a new bidding process - perhaps between the original candidates, if they're interested. If the political will was there, Australia could do it, but I have a feeling that our national culture wouldn't allow it. Perhaps the US might end up staging 2022 after all?

If they ask nicely, the USA might become FIFA's own little Innsbruck.

Additionally, the one positive outcome from FIFA's bizarre practice of electing two future hosts together (I mean, really?) leaves room for error. Even if Qatar loses hosting rights, and it takes another two years for FIFA to select a new 2022 host, there would still be six or so years for a replacement host to organise the event after a new bidding process - perhaps between the original candidates, if they're interested. If the political will was there, Australia could do it, but I have a feeling that our national culture wouldn't allow it. Perhaps the US might end up staging 2022 after all?

In some ways that makes sense, but legally, I don't see it. It would be an extremely messy, expensive, public battle.

FIFA and Qatar made a deal with each other. They had a one-night stand and now Qatar is knocked-up. The two parties have nothing in common and they may be a terrible pair, but now there's a baby to think about: the 2022 World Cup It's appropriately humiliating for both of them.

• Like 1

In some ways that makes sense, but legally, I don't see it. It would be an extremely messy, expensive, public battle.

FIFA and Qatar made a deal with each other. They had a one-night stand and now Qatar is knocked-up. The two parties have nothing in common and they may be a terrible pair, but now there's a baby to think about: the 2022 World Cup It's appropriately humiliating for both of them.

Nothing an afternoon at the family planning clinic can't resolve. Great analogy!

• Like 1

I don't want the United States to hold this World Cup. FIFA had their chance to award it to the US and they decided another bid was better. The United States is better than to accept FIFA's sloppy seconds.

And about Innsbruck.. remember they had just hosted a Winter Olympics a few years prior. They weren't aspiring to host another one. The United States is. They should get their own World Cup, not as a runner-up prize that someone else couldn't take. Let 2022 stay in Asia. US Soccer should focus on 2026 instead