Qatar 2022

arwebb

Holding an event and building 12 40,000+ stadiums in the middle of ridiculous heat and in a size less the Greater Tokyo Area is crazy to start of with. It is pretty obvious that FIFA had its votes bought. IMO to return repairs its reputation it needs to withdraw the event and re-award the event.

Platini is in a very awkward bind.

On the one hand it's well known he voted for Qatar 2022.

On the other hand he's trying to implement FFP.

The only sizeable club in Paris, PSG, has recently been bought out by Qataris and they are trying to push through a "sponsorship" deal.

Will Platini's UEFA stand up for FFP and investigate the legitimacy of this deal, or will Platini's nationality and links to Qatar 2022 mean he'll let it pass?

http://www.cityam.com/sport/psg-new-570m-deal-stretches-credibility-says-uefa-ffp-expert

Edited by RobH

Now this as well. Bad day for Qatar:

Qatar 2022 World Cup will exploit migrant workers, says report

The World Cup due to be played in Qatar in 2022 will be "a crucible of exploitation and misery" for poorly paid migrant workers who will toil on the country's construction sites, the campaigning organisation Human Rights Watch will warn in a report due to be published on Thursday.

In its World Report 2013, HRW is expected to say workers from India, Pakistan, Nepal and other south Asian countries suffer forced labour, low pay, insanitary and overcrowded living conditions and other violations of their human rights when they arrive to work in Qatar, one of the world's richest countries.

HRW says the Qatar government has not fulfilled pledges made when Fifa awarded the World Cup to the country, to improve the conditions for workers who will build nine new stadiums and massive infrastructure projects for the tournament. Although there are concerns within the football establishment about players and supporters enduring the heat of Qatar if the tournament is played in the summer of 2022, HRW argues no similar care is being taken for the workers labouring in that summer heat every year.

HRW, which published an extensive report into workers' human rights in Qatar in June, found that some workers have to live in "overcrowded and unsanitary labour camps", which lacked clean water, ventilation or air-conditioning, "crucial elements for adequately minimising the risk of heat stroke".

Many of the 1.2 million migrant workers, who form 88% of the country's population, suffer the kafala sponsorship system, which ties them to a single employer. That means they cannot change jobs without the consent of that employer, other than in exceptional cases, and to leave Qatar they need the sponsoring employer to grant an exit visa, which can be refused. Employers "routinely" confiscate workers' passports, HRW says.

"Qatar has some of the most restrictive sponsorship laws in the Gulf region and forced labour and human trafficking are serious problems," the HRW World Report will state. "The government has failed to address shortcomings in the legal and regulatory framework despite the initiation of many large-scale projects for Qatar's 2022 World Cup."

More @ http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/29/qatar-2022-world-cup-exploit-workers

I'm torn on this. Because on 1 hand, I want to see FIFA do the right thing and fix this by stripping the 2022 World Cup from Qatar. On the other hand, they made their bed, so let them lay in it and let's see just how big of a train wreck this whole thing could be. And if I'm the USSF, I'm not sure I want FIFA's sloppy seconds by getting 2022, even though they're probably well-positioned to take over hosting duties at any moment.

• Like 1

Platini defends Qatar World Cup vote

Date January 30, 2013 - 9:12AM

Nyon, Switzerland

FIFA vice-president Michel Platini has defended his decision to vote for Qatar as 2022 World Cup host after a magazine in his native France alleged collusion among state and football leaders.

"I reserve the right to sue anyone who questions my integrity in this vote," Platini, who is president of European governing body UEFA, said in a statement on Tuesday.

Platini responded after France Football magazine published a 15-page cover story article titled Le Qatargate examining the Qatar World Cup project.

The magazine detailed a November 2010 dinner in Paris at then-president Nicolas Sarkozy's official residence, attended by Platini and Qatar's crown prince, Sheik Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani.

There, Sarkozy allegedly pressured Platini for political reasons to switch allegiance from the United States bid to Qatar in the FIFA vote nine days later, France Football suggested.

Sarkozy "would never have allowed himself to ask me to vote for Qatar 2022 because he knows that I am my own man", Platini said.

"France Football is not making any revelation about this (dinner) in today's article because this is information that I myself made public two years ago."

The magazine, FIFA's partner in jointly organising the Ballon d'Or world player of the year prize, sought to connect the increasing Qatari influences in French football since the World Cup decision.

The Qatar Sports Investment fund linked to the crown prince bought Sarkozy's favourite team, Paris Saint-Germain, in 2011 and also employs Platini's son, Laurent, as a lawyer, the magazine said.

Doha-based broadcaster Al-Jazeera launched a sports subsidiary, BeIn Sport, which now broadcasts the French league, and holds some rights to UEFA's signature Champions League and 2016 European Championship competitions.

"To believe that my choice to vote for Qatar 2022 was in exchange for agreements between the French state and Qatar is pure speculation and are only the views of those who write these lies," Platini said.

Qatar won the poll of FIFA executive committee members on the same day that Russia, which Platini also supported, got the 2018 World Cup hosting rights.

"I have therefore made my choice independently, following a simple logic that I have always advocated: openness to countries that have never hosted major sporting events," the former France national team captain and coach said.

AP

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/platini-defends-qatar-world-cup-vote-20130130-2djn6.html

Now this as well. Bad day for Qatar:

Qatar 2022 World Cup will exploit migrant workers, says report

When the FIFA "gentlemen" decided to choose Qatar, did they think about the fact that the country has a very small population that can barely fill out a dozen Olympic stadiums? Someone else will have to build all these new venues. I somehow thought that a product of the developed countries, the FIFA would never fall for corruption. I was wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

France Football continues #Qatargate investigation tomo, focuses on Paraguay FA head Leoz, receiving Emir of Qatar in Aug 2010 in secret meeting

Leoz, you may remember, asked Lord Triesman for knighthood to vote for Eng in 2018 bid, & wanted FA Cup named Leoz Cup.

https://twitter.com/benlyt

-------

Be interesting to see if they've dig up anything new....

Edited by RobH

Platini told Bild that he approved the hosting of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar with two provisos: firstly that it would take place in winter, not in summer as is traditional, and also on the condition that it wouldn't be solely in Qatar.

"Because of the heat, the World Cup must be played in the winter," Platini said. "When it's more than 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit), you can't really play football, and it would pretty tough for the fans to bear. Also, the neighboring emirates must be incorporated so that the World Cup takes place in the entire region."

http://www.dw.de/uefa-boss-platini-moots-winter-world-cup-2022/a-16641271?maca=en-rss-en-all-1573-rdf&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed:+DeutschSprechen+(Deutsche+Welle+in+English)

Ok, what do we make of this then? :rolleyes:

It would appear that IF Platini were President of FIFA, he would strongly pressure Qatar to change dates to January, which although unfavorable with the whole football schedule, will allow Qatar to host in favorable temperatures.

This could theoretically see a Winter Olympics bid from a Southern Hemisphere nation be successful as to avoid a clash or the direct following of 2 major sporting events (the World Cup being held in January with the Winter Olympics immediately following it in February).

He also made mention of neighboring Emirates being involved. Perhaps he logically sees like everyone else here how such a large scale event couldn't possibly be held in small Qatar and would also pressure them to get neighboring countries involved. Perhaps a restructured venue plan will see the following: Bahrain with 1 venue, Oman with 1 venue, Kuwait with 1 venue, United Arab Emirates with 2 venues and the remaining 7 in Qatar.

Naturally, the other countries would just be hosting in venue capacity only and not be able to qualify for the World Cup (even though Kuwait and UAE have qualified in the past and Bahrain, recent qualifiers could qualify for the 2022 edition and be alongside Qatar).

Good, I rather see Qatar hosting the WC in winter and with coperation with neighbording countries... UAE and Bahrain are not far fron Qatar.

But if the WC takes place in January it will end by the middle of February... I wonder if the IOC will make the games happen in the last week of February or a Southern Hemisphere bid will have an advantage?

Why the heck didn't they just bid as a joint group back in 2010? That is a total game changer. A Gulf World Cup is completely different to just Qatar. Throw in the UAE and Bahrain, and we've actually got something palatable. This appears to be a concession that the current plan is unfeasible. On one hand I quite like the idea of the entire Gulf co-hosting, and on the other (seeing as we have 9 years) I want the bid reopened. Perhaps between just the USA and Gulf, or even allow other bids to come forward again (I have a feeling Australia wouldn't be interested again - the 2022 World Cup is to Australia what the 2016 Olympics is to Chicago).

• Like 1

Why the heck didn't they just bid as a joint group back in 2010? That is a total game changer. A Gulf World Cup is completely different to just Qatar. Throw in the UAE and Bahrain, and we've actually got something palatable. This appears to be a concession that the current plan is unfeasible. On one hand I quite like the idea of the entire Gulf co-hosting, and on the other (seeing as we have 9 years) I want the bid reopened. Perhaps between just the USA and Gulf, or even allow other bids to come forward again

A Guld Cup does seem more feasible to me, but then you also open up the can of worms about whether the others get host qualification, and which confederation's spots are going to be tweaked or cut to make way for them. And short of an incontrovertible smoking gun coming out about wrong-doing in the 2020 vote, I can't see them re-doing it of their own will. I sorta like seeing them scrambling and stewing about trying to make their dumb decision work.

I have a feeling Australia wouldn't be interested again - the 2022 World Cup is to Australia what the 2016 Olympics is to Chicago.

I think you got that spot-on!

Canada is an interesting thought, although I can't see FIFA sideswiping the US again. Even though they hosted in 1994, it is in their best interest to maintain momentum in the USA.. even though I'd be more interested to see it in Canada, if it were possible (stadium issues?)

Anyway, FIFA are drowning rats in a tin pot. Best avoided and viewed from afar.

Edited by runningrings
  • Like 1

Canada is an interesting thought, although I can't see FIFA sideswiping the US again. Even though they hosted in 1994, it is in their best interest to maintain momentum in the USA.. even though I'd be more interested to see it in Canada, if it were possible (stadium issues?)

Anyway, FIFA are drowning rats in a tin pot. Best avoided and viewed from afar.

I don't think FIFA will award a country that can't even qualify for a WC the World Cup twice in a row. Though Canada could host I don't think its likely. Only 3 stadiums are needed to be built with the rest hosting temporary seating.

@Sir Rols Australia can't host 2026 because of FIFA's rotation rules (a continent can't host two in a row, and Australia is apart of AFC now).

• Like 1

@Sir Rols Australia can't host 2026 because of FIFA's rotation rules (a continent can't host two in a row, and Australia is apart of AFC now).

Yeah, I'm well aware of that. That's why I tend to shoot down talk of China for '26. But even if we could... No, I doubt there's much appetite at all to go again. I'm quite happy to see Canada go suck up to those FIFA jackals though.

Yeah, I'm well aware of that. That's why I tend to shoot down talk of China for '26. But even if we could... No, I doubt there's much appetite at all to go again. I'm quite happy to see Canada go suck up to those FIFA jackals though.

I doubt it though. I just read an article Canada just needs the world cup to become the first country to have hosted every single FIFA sanctioned world cup/Olympic football tournament.

Though an interesting tidbit a year or so back there was talk of splitting Asia into two, and if that were to be the case both China and Australia would be eligible. I'd think the WC or any FIFA event is needed by Australia to save the fledgling A-league.

Edited by intoronto