Qatar 2022

arwebb

Three halves? What's next? FIFA allowing players to wear burqa? Or be naked? (although I'm not totally against that proposal ^^ )

This is becoming insane... you can't start changing the rules of the sport just because you had the GREAT idea of playing in the middle of the desert...

Oh wow. I've refrained from posting here on the off chance that I offend the Sheikh of Qatar

oh uh me too. i think we all crave the sheikh's esteem and respect. i for one would be positively crushed if he thought any less of me.

how could any of us ever show our faces in doha society without a burka again?

oh uh me too. i think we all crave the sheikh's esteem and respect. i for one would be positively crushed if he thought any less of me.

how could any of us ever show our faces in doha society without a burka again?

Someone piss in your corn flakes again?

I was one of the few proponents of the PC bid here on these boards. Who the hell knows which of the IOC members actually view this site? No point in unnecessarily criticizing any of the voters or their countries until after the vote.

Someone piss in your corn flakes again?

I was one of the few proponents of the PC bid here on these boards. Who the hell knows which of the IOC members actually view this site? No point in unnecessarily criticizing any of the voters or their countries until after the vote.

the sheikh of qatar is a waste of the whole world's time.

you're right though. he does seem like the type to be petty enough to switch his vote of olympic host city based on what an anonymous poster from canada on an unofficial message board has to say about his country's flailing attempt to host a competent world cup.

i would consider anyone associated with fifa to be that petty.

I'd wish they would just strip the World cup from Qatar it's so obvious that they bought it. I mean who gives a world cup to a country that isn't bigger than San Antonio! Not even in the same level with it or most of the city's in America!

You're funny. How could the sheikh ever think any less of you

it could be worse. i could be delusional enough to actually think the sheikh of qatar has actually formed an opinion about me based on my internet postings and will alter his olympic vote based entirely on their contents.

it could be worse. i could be delusional enough to actually think the sheikh of qatar has actually formed an opinion about me based on my internet postings and will alter his olympic vote based entirely on their contents.

And I got exactly what I wanted so :P to you

• 1 year later...
Qatar 2022 Organisers Dismiss Calls for Winter World Cup

September 20, 2012

(WFI)Despite Michel Platini's calls for a winter 2022 World Cup, Qatar organisers tell World Football INSIDER they have no intention of switching the tournament from the summer.

Qatar

The UEFA president this week reportedly restated his desire to see the Qatar tournament moved from the sizzling heat of a Qatari summer to the winter months. He has made repeated calls for the change since the oil-rich nation secured the World Cup in December 2010.

Former FIFA Ex-Co member Franz Beckbauer is among other leading football executives as well as FIFPro, the worldwide players' union, who have supported Platini’s stance. They point to the health risks for players of training and competing in June-July Qatar temperatures that can soar to 50 ºC.

But Qatar World Cup organisers are not bowing to pressure.

"Our position hasn't changed,” the 2022 tournament organisers told INSIDER in a statement.

“We've always reiterated that we entered the bidding race with the intention of hosting in the summer and are continuing with our plans to deliver a World Cup in the summer unless there is a unified consensus among the international football community for alternative plans."

Platini has claimed in previous comments on Qatar 2022 that Europe's top leagues could cope with a revamp of their schedules to accommodate the FIFA showpiece.

Despite scepticism, Qatar 2022 leaders remain fully confident in the stadium cooling technologies that were at the heart of their bid. They would be used to lower temperatures in stadia and training centres to 27 ºC. However, they are not yet proven technologies.

In February this year, two internationally-renowned stadium architects told INSIDER that it was a complete myth Qatar organisers would struggle to air-condition stadia in the desert heat of a Qatari summer.

Dan Meis, who designed Doha's Sports City Stadium, dismissed the doubters, including Platini and Beckenbauer.

"The cooling is not the greatest technological challenge," Meis told INSIDER. "What is really hard to achieve is to generate that cooling in a sustainable way."

"I believe any notion of controversy on cooling will fade away. It is pretty easy to address with the vision the Qataris have committed to."

AECOM's J Parrish, the former ArupSport director who has worked on the City of Manchester Stadium, now Manchester City's Etihad Stadium, and the Beijing 2008 Olympic stadium, said: "From the work [on cooling technologies] I have been involved in I am confident it can be achieved. The devil will be in the detail but I'm sure it will be properly thought out," he said.

"It's a few years until they absolutely have to start doing these [stadia] so there's time to develop new technologies and enhance the ones already there so that they can do the job more effectively."

http://www.worldfoot...y.aspx?id=35352

I think the new Cowboys Stadium in Dallas employs that sort of A/C technology which indeed can cool the stands and some of the field even with the sun roof open. Of course, Qatar can always play the games starting at 8:00pm or so..which would even be more appealing as that would be primetime in Europe. I don't think they would schedule any games from 11:00am to at least 5:00pm, or at least I hope not.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

UEFA chief Platini pushes ahead with plans for winter World Cup in Qatar in 2022

UEFA president Michel Platini is determined to hold the 2022 World Cup in Qatar during the winter and force the Barclays Premier League to take a break during November and December to accommodate it.

FIFA's decision to award football's greatest showpiece to the tiny Arab state has attracted derision due to the difficulties it will place on supporters and teams alike if held in the searing heat of the summer months, when the tournament is traditionally staged.

Platini's solution is to break with tradition and stage the tournament during the winter, which will clash with the regular club season across Europe.

But the Frenchman is adamant that forcing clubs in England and across the continent would not be a problem as the leagues could simply finish a month later than usual.

He also suggests that the tournament could not go ahead in January 2022 because of a potential clash with the Winter Olympics.

Platini said in the Standard: 'I hope it (the 2022 World Cup) will be held in winter. We have to go to Qatar when it is good for everybody to participate. What is better for the fans?

'Did you see in South Africa? It was freezing and nobody could go anywhere to a fan club or anything. You had to stay in the hotel.

'In 10 years we can manage to decide how we can postpone the season for one month.

'January is difficult for the World Cup because you have the Winter Olympic Games.

'If we stop [the European season] from November 2 to December 20, it means, instead of finishing in May, we stop in June.

'It is not a big problem. It is for the good of the World Cup, the most important competition in the world.'

The former France and Juventus star also played down suggestions there could be a re-run of the election in the wake of the FIFA scandal.

'To revoke World Cup decisions will be difficult. And, if there is another vote, I will vote the same way: for Russia and Qatar,' he said.

'I voted for Qatar because it was time to go to a country in that part of the world. They bid five times.'

http://www.dailymail...2022-Qatar.html

Yeah great idea. Watching football inside with a hot cup of tea instead of outside with a chilled beer and some BBQ.

btw. Isn´t Mr.Platini still head of the UEFA? Is the WC not part of the FIFA?

So I think it´s the choice of FIFA what they´ll do. UEFA can react after FIFA have made a decision.

And for someone who just lit a Winter Games cauldron 20 years ago, he can't even get his date right. Since when in the last 50 years have the WOGs been held in January? They've always been in FEBRUARY -- not unless he's now also speaking for the IOC and having them change the WOGs for 2022?? :wacko: He's not very credible, is he??

And for someone who just lit a Winter Games cauldron 20 years ago, he can't even get his date right. Since when in the last 50 years have the WOGs been held in January? They've always been in FEBRUARY -- not unless he's now also speaking for the IOC and having them change the WOGs for 2022?? :wacko: He's not very credible, is he??

His mind changed a lot in the last years. And not to positive........

It's so ridiculous for him to talk about "what's best for the World Cup" and "what's best for the fans." Clearly, what's best for the World Cup and what's best for the fans is that the World Cup NOT BE STAGED IN QATAR.

They've crossed that bridge already. Unless there is overwhelmingly evidence that the 2022 award was illegally won, there is no un-doing it because the Qataris will not yield without a big international CAS fight.

But with Platini now undercutting the Qataris, he also NOW insults them because his pronouncements mean that he has little doubt in the ability of the Qataris to deliver on their promised technology. So, he voted for them but NOW does not believe them? Whakinda idiocy is that? I think 2022 will be a mess.

(If I'm not mistaken, he voted for them.)

Yep, he voted for them.

I don't think this is Platini undermining the stadium cooling technology. What he is doing though, is highlighting the fact that for the majority of the time players WON'T be in these stadiums but will be training in the Qatari heat. The same thing goes for fans who won't want to be outside either.

It's a huge mess.

They've crossed that bridge already. Unless there is overwhelmingly evidence that the 2022 award was illegally won, there is no un-doing it because the Qataris will not yield without a big international CAS fight.

But with Platini now undercutting the Qataris, he also NOW insults them because his pronouncements mean that he has little doubt in the ability of the Qataris to deliver on their promised technology. So, he voted for them but NOW does not believe them? Whakinda idiocy is that? I think 2022 will be a mess.

(If I'm not mistaken, he voted for them.)

Yes, I understand that, but the guy is talking out of both sides of his mouth. Obviously the well-being of the WC and spectators was not foremost in his thinking when he voted for Qatar. Either the top priority is what's best for sport and spectators or it's not. He's trying to change horses midstream and it's irritating.

They've made their bed. Now it's time to lie in it.

How's that for a whole bunch of mixed metaphors?

• Like 2