Qatar 2022

arwebb

2022 World Cup could be held at end of year - Blatter

Jan 25 (Reuters) - The 2022 World Cup in Qatar could be held at the beginning of the year or the end of it, FIFA president Sepp Blatter said on Tuesday.

"For FIFA, if there's the will to change something for the international calendar for one year, it's possible to do, because if there's a will, there's also a solution," the head of world soccer's governing body told reporters.

"But for now, there are the pros and cons but it is premature to make any decisions on what may happen but all I am saying is that winter is not only January and February, winter is also the end of the year."

Blatter has said, after Qatar in December won the right to host the finals, that the 2022 tournament could be held in the winter time to avoid the summer heat in the desert stat

Reuters

The row over the Qatar 2022 World Cup looks set to escalate after Asian Football Confederation (AFC) chief Mohamed bin Hammam (pictured) rejected UEFA President Michel Platini's suggestion that the tournament should be spread across the entire region.

Bin Hammam, who is widely predicted to be close to a decision whether to take on Sepp Blatter on June 1 for the leadership of FIFA, insists the World Cup should remain in the tiny Gulf state and not be shared with any neighbours.

Speaking to reporters ahead of the Asian Cup final, Bin Hammam, himself a Qatari, re-iterated that Qatar had won the right to stage the 2022 tournament and that it should not consider co-hosting.

"Qatar submitted a bid to organise the World Cup and it is fair for Qatar to organise all the matches," Bin Hammam said.

"It has never been discussed that the matches should be played in other countries as well.

"I do not think that any country will be part of the competition in that respect."

Bin Hammam said that the surrounding regions would still benefit from Qatar's hosting of the 2022 tournament.

"The impact of the World Cup is very huge. Of course the biggest impact will be in Qatar, but the region will also benefit," he said.

"The region will benefit from tourists coming, it will benefit economically, a lot of infrastructure will need to be built.

"Football will be promoted in a huge way and I think the legacy that football will be leaving in this reason will be huge."

Ironically Platini, who has also backed calls to move the tournement to the winter, was to join Bin Hammam later today at the Asian Cup final between Japan and Australia.

Bin Hammam is getting increasingly frustrated at what he calls "outsiders" casting aspertions on Qatar's right to host the World Cup when and how it likes.

Yesterday, he again reacted angrily to continued suggestions that the dates should be switched.

"I've said consistently that Qatar won the bid to stage 2022 in June-July, and we intend to do so in June-July," he was quoted as saying.

"We are confident we can stage the most comfortable World Cup ever and we will keep our promise.

"We are not interested in changing by even one day from the conventional period. Anyone who has a different opinion - that's their problem.

"The World Cup has been organised since its launch in 1935 in the summer, and there must be good reason why.

"We should preserve this and look at the damage from departing from convention."

Well said that man! As much as I dislike Qatar's cramped, sweaty and soulless plan, it was the plan they won the bid with and the one they should be putting into action. And I'm glad that they are not looking to change things. Changing the footballing calendar - even for two seasons - is such a major decision that it ought to have been discussed before any bids were accepted. That is wasn't means, as far as I'm concerned, that it can't now happen. Tough titties Blatter. Unless you want to ruin international football for good in the eyes of European fans, you're going to have to lay in the bed you made for yourself and watch the world cup in Summer 2022.

Edited by RobH

Well said that man! As much as I dislike Qatar's cramped, sweaty and soulless plan, it was the plan they won the bid with and the one they should be putting into action. And I'm glad that they are not looking to change things. Changing the footballing calendar - even for two seasons - is such a major decision that it ought to have been discussed before any bids were accepted. That is wasn't means, as far as I'm concerned, that it can't now happen. Tough titties Blatter. Unless you want to ruin international football for good in the eyes of European fans, you're going to have to lay in the bed you made for yourself and watch the world cup in Summer 2022.

I agree with you there, Rob. FIFA had lots of time and chances to "suggest" to Qatar any changes that might have been considered vital or desirable before the vote. They didn't, and accepted the bid plan as was - they can't now claim "we voted for you on the implicit assumption we could change your plan beyond all recognition."

• 2 weeks later...

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has given the strongest indication yet that the 2022 Qatar World Cup will be held in the summer, not the winter.

Blatter previously stated he expected the finals to be staged in January because of the country's climate.

The tournament traditionally takes place in June and July but temperatures in Qatar in those months can top 40C.

Blatter told the BBC: "I think for the time being the matter is on ice. Everything is settled for summer."

o.gif

In January, Blatter said that the successful Qatari bid was based on a summer World Cup but the Fifa executive committee was entitled to change any element of it, adding that players had to be protected from extreme weather conditions.

But Blatter told BBC Sport's Brian Alexander: "Who said first that we should play in winter? It was Franz Beckenbauer, second Michel Platini and the world footballers' union (Fifpro).

"I am not in favour of one or the other. What I did say, winter is not only January or February. I think for the time being the matter is on ice."

He explained that a delegation from Qatar had visited Fifa headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland, and indicated that the World Cup would be played in the summer months.

"Everything is settled now for summer and all the 64 matches will be played in the territory of Qatar," said Blatter.

He added: "In the bidding documents it was clearly established that the executive committee reserved the right to change anything in the bidding process, but here in this case it must come from Qatar."

Qatar beat Australia, Japan, South Korea and the United States to host the tournament in the vote held by Fifa's executive committee on 2 December 2010 in Zurich.

• Like 1

Players will be fine if they can get their air con stadiums working AND build enough training facilities with similar technologies. It's the fans who will suffer most I suspect. But at least it looks like the whole calendar won't be rearranged around this world cup anymore.

Well, Qatar has to shown that they deserve the 2022 WC by accomplishing their promises, so they refused to play the WC in January and/or sharing some of the matches with Bahrain, UAE or Kuwait. If they agreed to make the WC in January that would clearly said that the whole air conditioning stadia was pure BS (and still is, even with this). If they repeat the mistakes from the 2011 Asian Cup, the biggest victims of this WC are going to be the fans.

Maybe I didn't take a close enuf look at Qatar's stadia proposals but I still can't understand how the cooling over the audience stands can spill over to the pitch? At least with the Dallas Cowboys stadium, it is permanent and the curvature of the bleachers is high enough to give maximum blowing drafts and with the retractable roof, that provides more protection for the pitch and the players.

Also, obviously, 2022 games would not be played in the middle of the day. Even a 6 pm playing time would have the setting sun do its damage. So what? They will all be evening games? But with 58 matches over 35 days? How can that be? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 2 weeks later...

Given the current situation in the Arab World with governments toppling, squares packed with protesters and soldiers shooting at citizens, is Qatar's government and World Cup contract under any threat?

Doesn't seem like it. I think the Qataris, both natives and imports, seem like a well-fed, happy lot. Yeah, supposedly all the guest laborers/contruction workers live in dire conditions; but those are jobs for them that they didn't have in Pakistan, Yemen, Sri Lanka or wherever. Maybe their working conditions will improve.

And maybe the Emir is dangling the fear that if they rock the boat, then all those massive gains and wages for all the work leading up to 2022 will just vanish.

Or maybe it's too early to tell.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Maybe is not that soon, Baron.

Now Bahrain, a neighbour of Qatar (and a country which shares some attributes with them, even their flag is similar) has joined the protests on Middle East, and the Bahrain Grand Prix has to be suspended. More than 4000 are in the Pearl Square while the army is retreating from it and they want the regime to fall

The king and his family has absolute control on all the country issues...where did i heard that before?...*stares at Qatar* :rolleyes:

Maybe is not that soon, Baron.

Now Bahrain, a neighbour of Qatar (and a country which shares some attributes with them, even their flag is similar) has joined the protests on Middle East, and the Bahrain Grand Prix has to be suspended. More than 4000 are in the Pearl Square while the army is retreating from it and they want the regime to fall

The king and his family has absolute control on all the country issues...where did i heard that before?...*stares at Qatar* :rolleyes:

You can't compare Qatar and Bahrain. Qatar is a majority Sunni population, with a Sunni Royal Family that still opporates as an Emirate. Bahrain moved from an Emirate to a Kingdom in 2002 and has had periods of political unrest before because of the Shia majority population being ruled by a Sunni Royal Family. Also political reforms have been taking place in Bahrain for the last decade, whereas things have been generally stagnate in Qatar.

• 1 month later...

I got my doubts about this.

--------------

Artificial cloud designed to offer shade at Qatar's 2022 World Cup

artificial%20cloudx-large.jpg

By Douglas Stanglin, USA TODAY

26 Comments

7 Recommend

A design of an artificial cloud.

CAPTION

The Peninsula

A Qatar University department has designed an artificial cloud it says could hover during the World Cup soccer tournament in 2022 to cool off stadiums from the desert country's blistering summer sun, The Peninsula reports.

See a sketch of the planned cloud here.

Qatar was the surprise winner in its bid for the tournament, which left some non-Mideast countries wondering how teams will cope with summer temperatures that can soar to about 104 F.

Saud Abdul Ghani, head of the Mechanical and Industrial Engineering department, is quoted as saying his group would collaborate with the Qatar Science and Technology Park to create a working model at a cost of about $500,000.

The "cloud," filled with helium and built of light carbon material, would use four solar-powered (of course!) engines for maneuvering between the stadium and the sun to provide shade.

Commercial models, Ghani said, could be used at beaches and car parks, perhaps even fetched by mobile phones.

See photos of: World Cup, Qatar

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/03/artificial-cloud-designed-to-beat-heat-at-qatars-2022-world-cup/1

• 3 weeks later...

Swiss television channel RTS has claimed two of its sports reporters were held against their will for nearly two weeks in Qatar, without charge.

The journalist and cameraman were detained for 13 days “without receiving a clear explanation of what they were accused of," RTS said in a statement to newswire AFP.

The pair were filming a documentary on football in Qatar, the host nation for the 2022 FIFA World Cup, before their arrest.

According to RTS, the two were filming “landscape shots,” when they were arrested, taken to a local police station and interrogated for several hours.

They were eventually brought before a judge in Doha where "they had to pay a fine, without receiving either a report about their offence or a receipt,” RTS said.

The camera was confiscated and the pair were freed, but were not given official authorisation to leave Qatar.

“Before leaving for the country, the Qatar embassy in Geneva had told them that they could film freely,” the channel said.

“The arbitrary conduct of the Qatari police constitutes a serious violation of press liberty," said Massimo Lorenzi, head of sports at RTS. The incident would be reported to FIFA and all responsible authorities, he said.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/swiss-journalists-held-for-13-days-in-qatar-says-tv-channel-394450.html

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6381220/swiss-network-contacting-fifa-journalists-detained-qatar

Edited by RobH

• 3 weeks later...

Hugely damaging allegations being made about Q2022 bid and African Exco members:

2 FIFA exco members named in Parliamentary committee as taking $1.5m World Cup bid bribes

MP Damian Collins says CMS committee will publish Sunday Times evidence that Qatar paid $1.5m to exco members Jacques Anouma and Issa Hayatou

Edited by RobH

• 1 month later...

Heat could cause 2022 World Cup in Qatar to be a game of three halves

Fifa could allow matches at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to be played over three 30-minute periods if temperatures in the stadiums became dangerously high for the players.

Michael Beavon, a director of Arup Associates who helped to develop the zero-carbon solar technology that will cool the 12 stadiums, told delegates at the Qatar Infrastructure Conference in London that the air-cooling would maintain a comfortable temperature of around 24 degrees Celsius in the stadiums.

"There is a moderate risk of heat injury to the players between 24C-29C but if you go above that you have high and extreme risk of injury. The one thing Fifa do say, although it is for guidance, is if it's 32C they will stop a match and play three 30-minute thirds rather than two 45-minute halves.

"The reason would be to re-hydrate the players before they could carry on playing. That of course would play havoc with TV schedules and those kind of things. The commitment from Qatar was to provide conditions in the moderate band, so that matches would go ahead and be played as normal. Matches have to be played at an acceptable temperature and in safety so that Fifa do not intervene."

However a Fifa spokesperson told Reuters that such a drastic change to the way the game is not something that was on the governing body's agenda. "This possibility has not been discussed," the spokesperson said. "In any case, this would require a change in the Laws of the Game, and therefore would have to be analysed and approved by the International Football Association Board (IFAB) in the first place."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/07/2022-world-cup-three-halves

:rolleyes:

Oh wow. I've refrained from posting here on the off chance that I offend the Sheikh of Qatar, but now that the 2018 race is done, I just need to say that Qatar hosting the WC is the stupidest idea ever. Should've gone to Australia or the US. There, I feel better just getting that off my chest.