Qatar 2022

arwebb

There is no doubt that the current transport system would fail if miserably if we were to host the world cup in say a week. However we do have plans for the next 12 years.

Other than the great Metro system that is under construction as we speak, Qatar is investing in a renewing and expanding its current and future road systems, we will be having highways running through Doha city (5 major transport corridors around the nation), some projects are under construction with more going to start soon.

The roads are improving everyday, roundabouts are turning into major signals with underpasses, with other turning into multiple grade interchanges...

+ There will be water taxis available with entry into the market soon with places such as the pearl open & New Doha International Airport opening soon (2011), will provide exclusive connections with 3 stadiums which are AlShamal, AlKhor and Doha port.

As you guys should know

the plan is to build 9 new stadiums and renovate 3 existing.

Meaning that Qatar already has 3 of the world cup stadiums ready. REGARDLESS OF THE WORLD CUP HOSTING RIGHTS 4 stadiums were going to be built anyways as they are part of several master-plans, and they are Education City, Sport City, AlWakrah and AlKhor. (Alkhor and Alwakrah part of their cities master-plans. Education city stadium part of the Education city by Qatar Foundation master plan, and Sport city part of the Doha city master-plan.)

1 stadium which is Doha port is fully modular so it will be removed, taken apart and given to poor developing nations (working alongside FIFA in terms of choosing the right places). the same goes to most of the stadiums 2nd tier or so. with the exception of Sport city as it will be 100% permanent 47K stadium.

It is great that Qatar invest in its infrastructure (streets, railway lines, underground etc. etc.), but it is important too, to create a not conflicting traffic management - it isn't enough to build several motorways, but the traffic has to be leaded in a way that the different fan groups don't conflict each other.

Furthermore the fans need to be entertained for one month - the matches of their teams are not enough - they want to eat, drink (including alcohol) - they want to go into e.g. cinemas or something else - these things create traffic too...

I doubt that Qatar will have a financial problem, but I think it will become very challenging...

Germany had 52.9 millions number of nights by non-germans in 2006 - what do you think if Qatar has 52.9 millions of overnight stays in 2022 - most of them were in Germany during the WC, but when you take a statistical middle you have 144,931 visitors per day in a year - Qatar has appr. 2 million inhabitants - that is an increase of appr. 7.2% - that will cause problems - huge problems (e.g. water supply, waste collection, medical care etc. etc.)

• Like 1

It is great that Qatar invest in its infrastructure (streets, railway lines, underground etc. etc.), but it is important too, to create a not conflicting traffic management - it isn't enough to build several motorways, but the traffic has to be leaded in a way that the different fan groups don't conflict each other.

Furthermore the fans need to be entertained for one month - the matches of their teams are not enough - they want to eat, drink (including alcohol) - they want to go into e.g. cinemas or something else - these things create traffic too...

I doubt that Qatar will have a financial problem, but I think it will become very challenging...

Germany had 52.9 millions number of nights by non-germans in 2006 - what do you think if Qatar has 52.9 millions of overnight stays in 2022 - most of them were in Germany during the WC, but when you take a statistical middle you have 144,931 visitors per day in a year - Qatar has appr. 2 million inhabitants - that is an increase of appr. 7.2% - that will cause problems - huge problems (e.g. water supply, waste collection, medical care etc. etc.)

I agree with you to some extent, there is always that doubt in the background but I think step by step for 12 long years all doubts should be gone for the 2022 event. For example we spoke about traffic, The same swiss management company that managed the traffic issues for South Africa 2010 has been consulted for the 2022 Bid Book.

Moving on,,,, As we know the actual FIFA World Cup is not just football matches, what will the fans do ? what will they eat ? etc.

There is an entire Entertainment city being constructed at Lusail city (nearby Lusail Stadium), not to mention an amazing number of malls being built around the city (14 !), And thats Doha CBD only !! so plenty of indoor cooled space avoiding the hot sun. in addition to several museums around the country (Yesterday "Mathaf" The Museum of Modern Arab Art was officially inaugurated, it will feature in its collections nude sculptures and paintings)

Recently a French Restaurant opened at the glitzy Pearl Qatar island and in its menu a wide range of available wines & champagnes are available, more of these are expected in the near future. (Alcoholic drinks are already sold in hotel bars/lounges) :D

New hospitals and modern medical care facilities are being built constantly, there are 2 hospitals opening next year both are near some world cup stadiums (Sidra Hospital near Education City Stadium - Al-Wakrah Hospital near Al-Wakrah Stadium)

All of this might some times be seen as a waste of money and not needed amenities after the World Cup, the truth however is that the nation is being shaped up for Qatar National Vision 2030, and everything is part of the plan. B)

Qatar Son, if plans include OVERALL improvement of Qatari society and TRULY bring it to enlightened, 21st century standards...then I applaud your country's aims and dreams!!

By 2030, Qatar aims to be an advanced society capable of sustaining its development and providing a high standard of living for all of its people. Qatar’s National Vision defines the long-term outcomes for the country and provides a framework within which national strategies and implementation plans can be developed.

The National Vision addresses 5 major challenges facing Qatar:

1)Modernization and preservation of traditions

2)Needs of this generation and the needs of future generations

3)Managed growth and uncontrolled expansion

4)Size and the quality of the expatriate labor force and the selected path of development

5)Economic growth, social development and environmental management

The National Vision foresees development through four interconnected pillars:

1)Human Development: development of all its people to enable them to sustain a prosperous society

2)Social Development: development of a just and caring society based on high moral standards, and capable of playing a significant role in global partnerships for development

3)Economic Development: development of a competitive and diversified economy capable of meeting the needs of, and securing a high standard of living for, all its people both for the present and for the future

4)Environmental Development: management of the environment such that there is harmony between economic growth, social development and environmental protection.

http://www.gsdp.gov.qa/portal/page/portal/GSDP_Vision_Root/GSDP_EN/What%20We%20Do/QNV_2030

http://www.gsdp.gov.qa/portal/page/portal/GSDP_Vision_Root/GSDP_EN/GSDP_News/GSDP%20News%20Files/QNV2030_English_v2.pdf

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said on Friday he was happy for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to be played in the European winter rather than the traditional summer months to avoid the searing heat in the Middle East.

"I definitely support to play in winter here (in the Middle East)," Blatter told a news conference at the Club World Cup in Abu Dhabi.

"To play when the climate is appropriate and I'm thinking about the footballers, not only the fans but the actors," he said referring to the intense heat of summer in Qatar, where temperatures can go above 50 degrees Celsius.

"The actors giving the spectacle, this is very important to protect the footballers and if this is possible, but it should be possible with the will, where there's a will there's a way," Blatter said.

"It's a question of the international calendar but again it's in 11 and half years till this can be done."

Another issue that has come up over the tiny Gulf state's hosting of a 32-team World Cup, is whether Qatar might farm out some matches to neighbouring countries.

"This was an item which on the table yesterday but... I cannot give the, I would say, the backing or non-backing of these ideas by Qatari organisation," he said.

"I also met his highness the Emir and the leadership not only of football but of the country. This is something that must come out from Qatar so please address your questions directly to Qatar.

"I can say that all these (Gulf) countries, they are very happy first of all that the World Cup is going to the Middle East... and they are interested, I say, a little bit more than interested to then be part of this competition, but it is a wish. It's easy to say but it's not so easy to realise."

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/worldcup/70468/default.aspx

Edited by RobH

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said on Friday he was happy for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to be played in the European winter rather than the traditional summer months to avoid the searing heat in the Middle East.

"I definitely support to play in winter here (in the Middle East)," Blatter told a news conference at the Club World Cup in Abu Dhabi.

"To play when the climate is appropriate and I'm thinking about the footballers, not only the fans but the actors," he said referring to the intense heat of summer in Qatar, where temperatures can go above 50 degrees Celsius.

"The actors giving the spectacle, this is very important to protect the footballers and if this is possible, but it should be possible with the will, where there's a will there's a way," Blatter said.

"It's a question of the international calendar but again it's in 11 and half years till this can be done."

Another issue that has come up over the tiny Gulf state's hosting of a 32-team World Cup, is whether Qatar might farm out some matches to neighbouring countries.

"This was an item which on the table yesterday but... I cannot give the, I would say, the backing or non-backing of these ideas by Qatari organisation," he said.

"I also met his highness the Emir and the leadership not only of football but of the country. This is something that must come out from Qatar so please address your questions directly to Qatar.

"I can say that all these (Gulf) countries, they are very happy first of all that the World Cup is going to the Middle East... and they are interested, I say, a little bit more than interested to then be part of this competition, but it is a wish. It's easy to say but it's not so easy to realise."

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/worldcup/70468/default.aspx

First off if the WC impinges in any way shape or form on the existing season for the major European clubs MaFIFA start a shite-fight they are not going to win easily or without causing collateral damage. Secondly the whole basic premise behind the Qatari bid (it is capable to hold all games in the the assigned period with air conditioned stadia) has been shown to be a big fat lie. Unlike their 2022 competitors which surpassed Qatar on technical grounds and never planned to shift the dates of the games already the Qataris are showing they can't be trusted with their promises.

Guess the warning signs were there considering how the Qatari football team has been riddled with imports who have in some cases been listed without proper registration, getting citizenship when there football boots have barely touched the ground in Doha, whilst local guest workers have almost no rights.

Bingo.

That is just ridiculous that they talk about this AFTER the vote.

Well the before the vote talk was dominated by the exchange of Swiss bank account numbers, the plans to succeed Septic Blather and how they were going to charge $50 each for a lukewarm watered down glass of Budweiser for those licenced to drink alcohol in this footballer's paradise.

I am not so much shocked by this as very, very bemused. We all should have seen the writing on the wall post-vote. FIFA is just now laying the public ground-work for a major change in plans. Namely the movement of this tournament to January and the expansion of this tournament beyond the boarders of Qatar. I mean this is disgraceful and disrespectful to the 4 other bidders. I can't imagine Japan and Korea taking this like they have been, nor the US.

One of the most important cultural festivals in the world should not be marred in this kind of controversy and corruption. This is and should be unacceptable.

And now there is already talk out of Blatter about going to India! What the hell is FIFA playing at? It cheapens the whole World Cup and international football.

Edited by Faster

Blatter needs to go and NOW. Fire Blatter, fire the whole FIFA executive committee. They all need to be GOTTEN RID OF. And now before they get prosecuted like Mr. Assange of Sweden.

On some side notes;

Mr Assange is an Australian citizen, not Swedish.

He is also yet to be charged with any offence relating to his Wikileaks work, in any country. Effectively, to the letter of the law, he has done nothing wrong.

Similarly, in terms of laws, FIFA isn't accountable for anything either. Morally, its all subjective.

Oh yeah forgot about that. Isn't he getting charged with rape in Sweden though? And he hasn't been charged YET. He will be. The Department of Justice likes to take its sweet precious time doing things though.

And I guess FIFA has not done anything wrong. Technically. I still think they should be fired though

On some side notes;

Mr Assange is an Australian citizen, not Swedish.

He is also yet to be charged with any offence relating to his Wikileaks work, in any country. Effectively, to the letter of the law, he has done nothing wrong.

Similarly, in terms of laws, FIFA isn't accountable for anything either. Morally, its all subjective.

Only because of what he hasn't published. There are numerous rumors of things he has obtained that could and would lead to his execution if they were ever revealed.

Edited by Faster

• 2 weeks later...

And now we have confirmation:

Fifa president Sepp Blatter expects the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to be held in January because of the country's intensely hot summers.

The tournament is traditionally held in June and July but temperatures in Qatar at that time of year can top 40C.

Speaking in the Qatari capital Doha, Blatter said: "I expect it [the 2022 World Cup] will be held in winter.

"It is 11 years away but we must decide the most adequate period, which means January or the end of the year."

So the air-conditioned stadium stuff was all nonsense in other words; why wasn't this found out BEFORE the vote I wonder? We have a country with hardly any footballing tradition, which has NEVER qualified for a world cup, and which has a dire domestic league completely changing the schedules of all the world's big footballing leagues. I'm sorry, but if you can't do it on the terms you bid for, the 2022 process should be reopened.

I don't think I've felt this way before, but I sincerely hope this tournament causes monumental headaches for FIFA with the organisational chaos which is already evident. I'm rather looking forward to English, Spanish, Dutch, Italian, German and French clubs refusing to release their players and making FIFA's life very difficult indeed. This is inevitable by the way; no manager who has been asked about this has expressed anything other than shock and disgust at FIFA's lack of foresight (see video above). The circus is on its way, and it's going to be entertaining watching FIFA squirm over this issue!

Russia I wish all the success in the world. They had a good case and still do. Qatar is changing the fundamentals of what its bid promised already - they either lied to FIFA, FIFA didn't analyse their bid carefully enough, or both FIFA and Qatar were in it together, knowing this was always going to be the plan. Whatever the case it's not good enough Qatar, and not good enough FIFA.

Edited by RobH

Premier League managers have come out against the idea of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar being played in January.

Sepp Blatter, head of world football's governing body Fifa, has backed a switch, conceding that summer temperatures in Qatar are too high.

But Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger warned: "It would create problems between clubs and countries and countries and Fifa.

"It would mean completely reorganising the whole world's fixtures, and I cannot see that happening."

The Frenchman continued with a hint of sarcasm: "As you know, we have a Christmas period which is quite busy here, and England would be very happy to play the World Cup in January just after that.

"It looks like an idea that has come out of nowhere because nobody was told that when the bid was voted for."

He said: "That's the only way round it from my interpretation. It's going to be a huge change that year and how it impacts we won't know until it actually happens."

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp's sarcastic response was that the idea was "another clever move from Mr Blatter".

Former England manager Graham Taylor, speaking to Eddie Mair on Radio 4's PM programme, said he found the idea of the switch 'amazing'.

He added: "If people weren't aware of that prior to the vote then I don't really know what is happening.

"He's now saying it's going to be too hot in the summer. I mean everyone's been aware of that for goodness knows how long. So I really am at a loss for him coming in now and saying there's a possibility of it being played in the winter."

Taylor said he expected the tournament to go ahead but said he felt it would cause problems in the Premier League.

"If the Premier League hasn't changed, if we haven't bought into some form of winter break, of course there's a problem, there's no doubt about that," he said.

"Club football dominates in our country and they won't take kindly to something like a four-week - or even more - winter break."

Link

I'm wary of whether Qatar can pull off the WC in 2022, but I'm even more warier of the possibility of the World Cup and the Winter Olympics clashing with each other. Unless the World Cup kicks off on New Years Day and ends a week before the scheduled start of the Olympics, wherever they may be, I don't see this as viable. I'd prefer that they organize the WC for March 2022. It shouldn't be THAT hot then, compared to June.

I'd prefer that they organize the WC for March 2022. It shouldn't be THAT hot then, compared to June.

Well, the thing is...the Winter sked is already full:

January - play-offs leading to the Super Bowl end of January

February - WOGs start around Feb 14.

end of Feb - the Oscars

March - NCAA March madness.

Insofar as a TV sked, a World CUp could sneak in there, say, 2nd week of January and the having finals around Feb 7. The ONLY Problem really is that sponsors/advertisers will be strained to the hilt. This is why the IOC moved the WOGs to the interim year so sponsors could space out their advtg budgets. But by moving up the World Cup, the WC, at least in the US, will NOT be getting enough sponsors, especially if the 2022 WOGs will be in the U.S.

Insofar as a TV sked, a World CUp could sneak in there, say, 2nd week of January and the having finals around Feb 7. The ONLY Problem really is that sponsors/advertisers will be strained to the hilt. This is why the IOC moved the WOGs to the interim year so sponsors could space out their advtg budgets. But by moving up the World Cup, the WC, at least in the US, will NOT be getting enough sponsors, especially if the 2022 WOGs will be in the U.S.

Very good point. And that's why I believe that FIFA is slowly realising what a bad, bad decision they made. That doesn't mean that they'll admit it; Blatter is not the type of guy to break his promises to his old buddies in Qatar. That damn corrupt cheater.

By the way, Rob: Ian Holloway's comments are hilarious. A fine example for your great English humour. I'm just waiting for someone like Jürgen Klopp (the manager of Borussia Dortmund, a very smart, funny and outspoken guy himself) gives a similar statement. ;)

That said, I haven't found a comment of a Bundesliga manager so far on Blatter's plans to shift the World Cup to the winter of 2022. Probably it's because the Bundesliga is still taking its short winter break (although the teams are already back in training). Or maybe the German media are only slow on the uptake...

Anyway, I found at least this blast of Bayern München's president Uli Hoeneß against Blatter, still unrelated to Blatter's latest winter ponderings:

Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness: Sepp Blatter is ruining football's image