Qatar 2022

arwebb

I see your points, neat is probably not a very sophisticated word, I was merely trying to keep it short.

Qatar has an elaborate plan and the money to make it happen. There is no perfect reason why the region should wait to host.

(I believe the first female Judge was appointed early this year in Qatar.)

I see your points, neat is probably not a very sophisticated word, I was merely trying to keep it short.

Qatar has an elaborate plan and the money to make it happen. There is no perfect reason why the region should wait to host.

(I believe the first female Judge was appointed early this year in Qatar.)

Actually there are plenty of reasons why the region should be made to wait to host. Expense, lack of structures for fans, security, gender inequalities, political interference with the sport's activities (go look up the history of Iraq, Kuwait and Iran's FAs as an example), blatant corruption of the games' ethical standards (e.g. the manner in which Qatar and other FAs in the region 'buy' players from other countries), heat, the lack of recognition of Israel, failure to qualify for the WC from most of countries in the region (only Iran & Saudi Arabia has a history of WC participation and in the case of Qatar it's most recent games saw it lose 3-0 and 4-0 against subsequent qualifier Australia)...I could go on and on.

And by the way consider this little incident from Qatar's WC history in its game against Iraq in Doha on March 23rd 2008) and tell me why they should be allowed to host:

Qatar fielded Márcio Passos de Albuquerque (known as Márcio Emerson Passos in a forged passport), a nationalised Brazilian, in his third cap for the country after friendlies on 4- 3-08 and 16-3-08, in spite of him having played for Brazil U-20 at 1999 South American Youth Championship (when he was 21 but played under a falsified passport stating he was 18); that made him ineligible to play for Qatar and while the player was banned from playing any further for the country, the result of the match was not changed, supposedly because the Qatari FA was not at fault, although FIFA's Disciplinary Code demands, under Article 55, that any team "found guilty of fielding an ineligible player shall forfeit the match in question", while Article 31 further clarifies that "teams sanctioned with a forfeit are considered to have lost the match by 3-0" (unless the original score was a worse defeat); coincidentally, AFC president and FIFA vice-president Mohamed Bin Hammam is a Qatari national; protests of the Iraqi FA were thrown out by FIFA on technical grounds and eventually the CAS in Geneva ruled Iraq had no right to appeal for having been late in paying a 3000 Swiss francs fee] (source)

When the Qatari's and their ilk start living up to the same standards that the rest of footballing world are supposed to both in terms of the games ethics, the demands of society and respecting rights that MaFIFA itself trumpets then the region may deserve a WC. But for now they are simply a cashed up feudal oil emirate who can bribe whomever they want and get away with it because one of the chief crooks in Zurich is one of their own oligarchs.

Excellent post Eusebius. I posted regularly on this forum, as a fan, who saves a little every month to go to the world cup every 4 years. My opinions are formed by my experience as a fan, and what I feel would be the best host for supporters who travel to the Finals. World cup finals draws were always watched avidly, hoping you were drawn to play in Rome or Florence for their history, New York or Boston for the bars, or Tokyo for something crazy. In 2022 if I bother..... ? its gonna be Doha in 45 degrees or....... 30 km from Doha in 43 degrees..... I'm already apathetic.

Recent finals like 2006 and 2010 were driven by the desire to make it to the finals simply because of the host. My now wife wanted to go to Africa in 2004, that was swiftly dismissed and replaced by a backpacking trip to South America, because the Africa trip was planned already. I assured her "the World cup is on in South Africa in 6 years". There was always SOMETHING to look forward to when a world cup was announced. In fact it decided holidays for years in advance :)

Qatar offers NOTHING to the travelling fan. Nothing for those like me, who like to travel to several cities on each trip. My experiences include; Italia 90 (Palermo, Cagliari, Genoa, Rome). France 98 (Paris, Nantes, Monpelier) Germany 06 (Berlin, Munich, Frankfurt, Kaiserslautern, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Nurenberg). Fans like me who like to hang out with fans from wherever; Jamaican reggae boys in Paris (what a day that was !!) Croats in Berlin, Moroccans in Nantes. The list goes on and on

Maybe I'm wrong, but in my opinion Qatar simply wont attract travelling fans. Certainly not the 60000 swedes who travelled to Berlin. Nor will it have anything like the 1 million germans at the fanfest at the Brandenburg gate. Or the 2 million Korean locals on the streets in Seoul.

The Qatar world cup will be a circus. All the talk will be "Look at the fancy stadiums" (soon to be dismantled), "It's 50 degrees outside but only 20 degrees inside", "A world cup in the desert ! Wow! ". Fans locked away from local eyes, for fear they are seen having 'one too many', (or even one!!) I'm sure it will look good on TV though, which is where I'll be watching, almost certainly.

The election of Qatar has, in my opinion at least, had the rather unexpected effect of the BBC escaping unharmed from this process. It was expected, had England lost, that there would be a huge amount of blame put at the door of the BBC and their documentary. If anything, since this election, there has been a lot of praise for the BBC and their investigation. Even tabloid journalists have been swallowing their pride and bringing the BBC onto their side against the common enemy of Blatter et al.

I suspect had Russia and, say, the USA won the BBC would have faced a massive balcklash, by contrast. Qatar's election is, if not provably dodgy in itself, seen as the most obvious symptom of the problems at FIFA right now.

I'm amazed and actually quite heartened that the expected scapegoating of the BBC has not materialised and that can only be a good thing going forward. There is little to no internal blame going on in the UK right now; all knives, instead, are pointed at Zurich.

Edited by RobH

I think the issue of "foreign fans" not showing up in 2022 is easily soluble. Qatar will have legions of the "guest workers" who will be sitting around between the Big Build and the Big Dismantle stages of the stadia. What will Qatar do with them in the interim? They are "foreign," so of course, they will be "foreign fans" to cheer for the visiting teams--except most of those workers are Pakistanis and Bangladeshi. :lol::lol:

It's already unravelling:

The 2022 World Cup in Qatar could take place in January or February to avoid the scorching temperatures of the summer months in the desert state, FIFA Executive Committee member Franz Beckenbauer said on Saturday.

Beckenbauer, who won the 1974 World Cup as West Germany captain and also coached his nation to the 1990 title, said hosting the tournament during the winter would be an alternative.

The World Cups are traditionally held during the northern hemisphere's summer months after the end of the domestic league competitions.

Qatar, which beat bid rivals Australia, Japan, South Korea and the United States, said it would deploy climate-control technology to keep the temperature on the pitch to 27 degrees Celsius while outside it was a scorching 50 degrees.

"One should think about a different solution," Beckenbauer told the Bild newspaper, where he also works as a columnist.

"In January or February you have a comfortable 25 degrees there. Plans for the biggest leagues would have to change for 2022 but that would not be a major undertaking."

"It would be an alternative to using climate control at great expense for stadiums and fanzones," added Beckenbauer, who is stepping down from FIFA's powerful executive committee in March.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/worldcup/69548/default.aspx

Would FIFA want to compete with the 2022 Winter Olympics in February, though. The IOC (& Reno :P )wouldn't like it. And what about the sponsors. Would they want to deal with back-to-back or right on top of each other global events. January, March or even April at the latest, sound like the optional timetables.

Who do you guys think The Kaiser voted for?

In the first round I'm almost certain he went with Australia (his relationship with Frank Lowy was very close in the bid plus he served as an advisor in the selection of Holger Osieck as the Aussie coach). After that round I suspect he went with the US bid (which I assume is due to his past experience in the US and interest in American football). There would have been zero chance if him ever voting for Qatar.

Yeah, Beckenbauer was always pretty well counted as one of our solidest supporters all through the race. It's pretty much taken for granted down here that he have have him to thank for our lone vote - and he's the only Ex Co members who after the vote publicly said he couldn't understand how Oz was dropped out so fast. And I agree with Seb, I'd expect he switched to the US after the first round.

PARIS -- FIFA is not considering changing the dates of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar despite fears the intense heat poses a serious health risk if the tournament is played in summer.

FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said Monday that he accepts "worries about the heat are legitimate" but adds that the intention remains "to play this World Cup in June."

Before the World Cup vote, FIFA's technical report labeled Qatar's heat a "potential health risk."

Despite average summer temperatures from 105-115 degrees, Valcke says this will "never be at the detriment of the players or fans, or anybody."

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5891306/fifa-not-changing-dates-2022-world-cup

PARIS -- FIFA is not considering changing the dates of the 2022 World Cup in Qatar despite fears the intense heat poses a serious health risk if the tournament is played in summer.

FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said Monday that he accepts "worries about the heat are legitimate" but adds that the intention remains "to play this World Cup in June."

Before the World Cup vote, FIFA's technical report labeled Qatar's heat a "potential health risk."

Despite average summer temperatures from 105-115 degrees, Valcke says this will "never be at the detriment of the players or fans, or anybody."

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5891306/fifa-not-changing-dates-2022-world-cup

:blink:

Would FIFA want to compete with the 2022 Winter Olympics in February, though. The IOC (& Reno :P )wouldn't like it. And what about the sponsors. Would they want to deal with back-to-back or right on top of each other global events. January, March or even April at the latest, sound like the optional timetables.

Would be the perfect time to hold the Winter Olympics in New Zealand, eh?

The Asian Football Confederation has urged Fifa to move the 2022 World Cup in Qatar to January or February to avoid the desert state's summer heat.

AFC General Secretary Peter Velappan said potential temperatures of 40C in the country pose a danger to players.

Velappan added that plans to cool stadiums and training grounds with air conditioners were "not a solution".

He also warned that some European countries may boycott the tournament due to concerns over the heat.

"Qatar is a nice country but there is no way football can be played in June and July there. No player will ever want to play in these conditions," said Velappan.

"I would strongly recommend that Fifa reschedule the tournament to January, February. Fifa is obliged to do everything possible to provide the best for the teams and the football fans."

Link

How would the English Premiership and other national leagues manage to fit a January/February world cup around their busy schedules?

How would the English Premiership and other national leagues manage to fit a January/February world cup around their busy schedules?

An extended Winter Break with matches starting earlier in August and competitions going into June for the first time. The World Cup interupts the schedules of the Scandinavian, North American and South American leagues, and they all manage.

More importantly, how would the IOC & sponsors respond to such a move. A 2022 World Cup in February would seriously conflict with the 2022 Winter Olympics.

It would be most certainly in January or March. Some FIFA exec members are members of the IOC, they aren't going to piss all over the other hand that feeds.

An extended Winter Break with matches starting earlier in August and competitions going into June for the first time.

There is no winter break in English football, they'd have to create one before they can extend it. :lol:

The point here isn't about logistics (which are pretty damn problematic in themselves) but the fact that ONE WEEK after the vote senior AFC officials are saying the central plank of Qatar's bid - the cooling systems - are "not a solution".

FIFA are of course, denying this, saying that the tender was put out for a summer tournament and that's what Qatar will have to put on, but's not a good sign that things are looking shaky already is it?

There is no winter break in English football, they'd have to create one before they can extend it. :lol:

The point here isn't about logistics (which are pretty damn problematic in themselves) but the fact that ONE WEEK after the vote senior AFC officials are saying the central plank of Qatar's bid - the cooling systems - are "not a solution".

FIFA are of course, denying this, saying that the tender was put out for a summer tournament and that's what Qatar will have to put on, but's not a good sign that things are looking shaky already is it?

This is how the vote likely broke down

USA

Chuck Blazer

Jack Warner

Julio Grondona

Geoff Thompson

Ricardo Teixeira

Nicolas Leoz

Franz Beckenbaur

Rafael Salguero

Qatar

Issa hayatou

Chung Moon Joon

Angel Maria Villar Llona

Michel Platini

Michel D'Hooghe

Mohammed bin Hammam

Senes Erzik

Worawi Makudi

Junji Ogura

Marios Lefkaritis

Jacque Anouma

Hany Abo Rida

Vitaly Mutko

Jerome Vackle/Sepp Blatter (Can't remember which one has voting rights)

The entire Asian block voted for Qatar, so its surprising within the AFC there is decent and anger over Qatar winning.

Mind you, I give the actual chances of Qatar hosting instead of France or Germany as maybe 50/50.

• Like 1

How about instead of screwing up the schedule or pumping in environmentally unfriendly air conditioning, they vote to host the 2022 World Cup in a country that doesn't need to be concerned with these factors? Oh wait...too late. Too bad there weren't any viable options other than a tiny peninsular desert nation in the Persian Gulf in this race. Oh wait...there were!

• Like 2

An extended Winter Break with matches starting earlier in August and competitions going into June for the first time. The World Cup interupts the schedules of the Scandinavian, North American and South American leagues, and they all manage.

It would be most certainly in January or March. Some FIFA exec members are members of the IOC, they aren't going to piss all over the other hand that feeds.

They said specifically in the bid that they would be able to 'beat the heat with air-conditioned stadiums'. I don't understand why the USA is not a permanment backup bid, they already have MASSIVE stadiums in place anyway.

And nobody cares about the North American leagues, outside of North America. Imagine how pissy the english- no, Europe in general(minus Russia and Scandinavia) if they decided to postpone the leagues for the World Cup. There would be RIOTS in the home of football.

why not the US?

Honestly, I think the US would tell FIFA to shove off if Qatar blow-up in FIFA's face. Whereas Germany and France would relish an expected chance of staging their favourite event. And remember most of the speculation around back-up hosts for South Africa, when it wasn't looking good in 2005/2006, where repeats in Germany and Japan.