Qatar 2022

arwebb

When will these tiny oil rich nations get the hint? I guess it is good to dream.

Qatar might get the Games someday when everyone else is tired of hosting (not gonna happen).

This will really make FIFA look like a bunch of clowns if they go with Qatar. They will have been seriously duped by a bunch of flashy stadiums designs if they do.

They need to go back to why they selected South Africa, and Brazil, Germany and Japan/Korea....and no it wasn't because of fantastic venues. It was because of things like legacy, growth potential, welcoming cities and youth. All of which Qatar serious lacks.

This will really make FIFA look like a bunch of clowns if they go with Qatar. They will have been seriously duped by a bunch of flashy stadiums designs if they do.

They need to go back to why they selected South Africa, and Brazil, Germany and Japan/Korea....and no it wasn't because of fantastic venues. It was because of things like legacy, growth potential, welcoming cities and youth. All of which Qatar serious lacks.

Especially if FIFA chooses Qatar over the United States, Australia and Europe.

The thing with these 'nuisance' bids (i.e., those that have absolutely a snowball's chance in hell of winning) is that so long as they are dues-paying members of the association, and they can pay for all those fantastic designs and renderings, there really is no way to keep them out of the bidding process. Yes, they are entitled to dream but it's up to their leaders (if one can call them that) to assess in all realistic terms possible, their chances of not winning especially if there's a whole pot of other viable contenders there.

I mean these Gulf Emirate leaders need to have the kaffiyeh's from their heads loosened a little.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

The thing with these 'nuisance' bids (i.e., those that have absolutely a snowball's chance in hell of winning) is that so long as they are dues-paying members of the association, and they can pay for all those fantastic designs and renderings, there really is no way to keep them out of the bidding process.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said Qatar could become the first Arab nation to host a World Cup in 2022, praising its rapid development and proven capacity to host large sporting events. ''The Arab world deserves the World Cup and Qatar has a good chance to become the first country from the region to host it,'' he said.

Sydney morning herald

Sepp is a genius. Perhaps we should read what he actually said:

"The Arab world deserves the World Cup and Qatar has a good chance to become the first country from the region to host it,"

Now, the Sydney morning herald has taken that to mean FIFA is "backing" Qatar's bid for 2022. But if it is, it is about as non-committal a vote of support as I've ever seen. Nowhere did Sepp say the first Arab hosting (of which Qatar has a "good chance", not a certain chance) is to be be in 2022.

Given the limited options in the region, that's akin to him visiting New York and saying "The USA has a good chance of being North America's next host". Woop de doo, nobody would bat an eyelid if he said that!

What sounds like a big compliment, and what the Ozzie press has morphed into dreadful news for their own nation's bid, is in fact meaningless when you read it! Sepp, I take my hat off to you.

Edited by RobH

Qatar to form women's football league

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates — Qatar will start a women's football league this year as part of an effort to build support for its bid to host the 2022 World Cup, officials said Monday.

The Qatar Football Association will oversee the league, which will include an undisclosed number of teams and start by the end of 2010. The association also plans to introduce women's football in schools and build new facilities for the country's national team.

A league is a requirement for the Qatar women's team to participate in Asian Football Confederation tournaments.

Women's football, long overlooked in the Gulf in favor of the men's game, has started gaining attention in the past year.

The United Emirates, which hosted a regional women's tournament earlier this year, is talking of starting a league next year. Bahrain, too, has talked of starting a league.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2010-05-10-3375565394_x.htm

Blatter is saying the same thing that Rogge says: "xyz is a fine city."

That is usually taken as positive support, but it really is merely a response, and is BS. He has to say something, and to say "What a stupid idea!" doesn't get him any votes/support!

As much as Qatar has other major logistical issues - number of cities, temperature, alcohol - I give them credit here. The stadiums look awesome and the concept of splitting them in half afterwards is a great one - this is the kind of arrangement I suggested for Tasmania, for the Australian bid - build a 45k stadium in Hobart just for the World Cup, then relocate half of it to Launceston afterwards. 2x 20k rectangular stadiums.

One question - two of these stadia are listed in Doha. They haven't announced where the 60k and 80k venues will be - you would expect Doha. How many venues will the city have?

THAT is the major problem with this bid Chuq. They are proposing at least twice as many venues in Doha as London is proposing in England's bid.

When you realise Doha is one sixth the size of London in terms of population and Qatar's league attracts on averge less than 8000 spectators per match, you start to see the gaping hole in the middle of this bid. You simply can't hold the majority of a world cup in one city, especially if that city is as small as Doha, has little footballing heritage, and if the bid threatens to leave behind a swathe white elephants afterwards.

Edited by RobH