Crazy (Olympic) world...

The last 36 hours have just been..incredible.  Heady for one city; and then tragedy strikes.  And even before the dust has settled...

- France will not bid for awhile (understandably)

- New York will "not be given special status for a rebid"  ( :cry:  but that doesn't mean it's out yet either...)

And then, per GB's story...

- Munich

- Flanders (so Belgium will exclude the Walloons from the bid?)

- my favorite, Torinto (wink! wink!)

- Kenya (OK, old story)

- Hamburg and

- mighty Taiwan will also bid for the Games even before Beijing has staged its own.  Do they have a death wish?  :rolleyes:

- and then the events of this morning in the newly re-anointed Olympic city.

What will tomorrow bring?  Can anyone sort this out?

More French arrogance:

"He added, “we need to analyze everything. You can’t come up with a bid book that is perfect in all points, a final presentation and a vote which went almost as expected and then hit a wrong note in the fourth round when the Latin votes for Madrid Went to London”

They had a good bid, but to say that it was perfect in all points and then whine when Madrid voters went to London...

Here's a hint: Stop being France!

-ibg

Right after an annoucement of a host city, it seems that everyone and their dog decides to look into a bid for the next Games.  I expect that the realities and committments of a bid will par the list down a great degree.

As for Toronto, well I think they could have been ripe for 2016...if not for those pesky kids in Vancouver.  :devil:

"Kenya" believe that Nairobi wants a go?  Not me.

Right after an annoucement of a host city, it seems that everyone and their dog decides to look into a bid for the next Games.  I expect that the realities and committments of a bid will par the list down a great degree.

As for Toronto, well I think they could have been ripe for 2016...if not for those pesky kids in Vancouver.  :devil:

"Kenya" believe that Nairobi wants a go?  Not me.

I agree with all of your points...this seems to happen almost after every race finsihes....

Exactly. And bear in mind London didn't decide to bid officially until 2003, a full 2 years after the 2008 host vote. The 2016 winner may be a city nobody has even thought of yet.

Out of interest, in 2002-early 2003 was anyone on here suggesting London as a serious contender?

They will have to honour a games to the continent of Africa soon won't they??

Are South Africa not going to bid?

..but in reply to the original post, it is all madness.

Overnight, the newest Olympic city went from triumph to tragedy.  I almost feel guilty for feeling so good yesterday.

:(

Don't feel guilty today about feeling good yesterday. Feel angry about feeling sad today tomorrow.

Overnight, the newest Olympic city went from triumph to tragedy.  I almost feel guilty for feeling so good yesterday.

Don't feel guilty today about feeling good yesterday. Feel angry about feeling sad today tomorrow.

I had to read that back a few times, but now it makes perfect sense ;)  Well said!

I had to read that back a few times, but now it makes perfect sense ;)  Well said!

... very well said Robert - and I want to add we shouldn´t give the terrorists the satisfaction that the terror attacks have an impact on our lifes - we should think on the victims, their close ones and the people, who help and helped the persons, who are/were in great need.

I´m glad that LONDON has received the honour to host the Games of the XXX. Olympiad - it will become great Games and we should look forward to them

inglesa.gif

The last 36 hours have just been..incredible.  Heady for one city; and then tragedy strikes.  And even before the dust has settled...

- France will not bid for awhile (understandably)

- New York will "not be given special status for a rebid"  ( :cry:  but that doesn't mean it's out yet either...)

And then, per GB's story...

- Munich

- Flanders (so Belgium will exclude the Walloons from the bid?)

- my favorite, Torinto (wink! wink!)

- Kenya (OK, old story)

- Hamburg and

- mighty Taiwan will also bid for the Games even before Beijing has staged its own.  Do they have a death wish?  :rolleyes:

- and then the events of this morning in the newly re-anointed Olympic city.

What will tomorrow bring?  Can anyone sort this out?

Baron, you know just as well as anyone who's been following the Olympics for several years, that the bid announcement is always followed by a period of self-examination, recrimination and bluster, almost always aimed at domestic markets and filtered through a media that is only interested in the Olympics generally once every year at best. The bid committees who had inflated and/or unrealised expectations have to find reasons why they failed, and perhaps offer new hope. Old bidders come lurking out of the wood work, and new ones think very carefully about how they can nominate for the future.

All up, in the wash up so far I think Paris's expectation of not bidding again for some time is logical, and perhaps the most honestly sensible thing said from their court, the NYC 'special status' issue should never have been hoped for or proferred, a German bid for future games will be welcomed, Taiwainese bids...no way, Toronto can't bid again until the dust settles from Vancouver, and finally someone's come to their senses in Kenya and put some cold water on their mad plan for 2016.

Robert Henson Posted on July 08 2005,07:09

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (its a bid of magic @ July 07 2005,22:01)

Robert, if there is one city in the world that can show the meaning of resilience, its gotta be London. I'm sure that even now the mood of celebration has been transformed by tragedy into determination...

Archived