2016 Stadiums

canary

Has Rio not moved athletics to Maracana.

Conflicting reports at the moment.

Would find that surprising given that Maracana is currently not suitable for T&F and will host major games during WC 2014. The time frame for reworking on Maracana between the end of the WC 2014 and the Rio 2016 test events would be rather short.

Whilst I support their bid, I think Chicago's stadium concept is the worst of the four; but I'm hopeful, like London, that this is only a concept drawing.

The atmosphere will be lost and I can't imagine the conditions inside such an open looking stadium will be that ideal for athletes.

Whilst I support their bid, I think Chicago's stadium concept is the worst of the four; but I'm hopeful, like London, that this is only a concept drawing.

The atmosphere will be lost and I can't imagine the conditions inside such an open looking stadium will be that ideal for athletes.

Donovan Bailey set a world record in 1996 in a fairly open stadium

Having seen the four, i think that Tokyo's looks the best based on architecture, although they would need more outside space. I do think that the design of the winning cities stadium will change after a while.

It's like cars these days. They all tend to look alike...except for Birds Next...but you couldn't exactly enjoy an all-out fireworks show in that structure.

ANd the thing with that Chicago rendering, all the time I thought that the one-sided roof was actual and cute. Now I realize it's a cutaway rendering to show the stand underneath it and that the whole canopy would be a symmetrical one (but only for that VIP, and probably the eastern side).

Yeah, but it's the only with a 'warm-up' track already.

I don't know where they'er going to put one in for Chicago. It's a public park and they want to leave very little imprint on it.

They'll most likely use Stagg Field at the University of Chicago, since it is literally across the street from Washington Park.

I don't like Rio's stadia. Its too ordinary. I'd say Tokyo & Chicago have the best. I also like Madrid's use of glas for the roof.

I agree. I like Tokyo the best, but am hoping Chicago will make some significant changes. Rio's is the worst in my opinion. Confirming what people already said above, UofC will host the warm up track. Washington Park is going to be buzzing significantly with the Aquatics and Athletics.

I really like Madrid's roof. I just wish they made it more symmetrical by having that big grandstand on both sides or getting rid of it altogether.

Rio's is another ugly concrete structure. It dosen't look too bad from the inside though and the blue track is awesome.

I've heard multiple times that that's not Tokyo's current and final design, never seen it though. So whatever.

Chicago's render is cool. If they win, I hope its amphitheatre future won't make them keep those gap(s). We'll see. And I guess roofed stadia is not our thing in this country, so I shouldn't hope for one.

well Rios stadia is actually pretty, but its in a good angle and in fact its the only true picture there cuz its an existant structure, the others are just graphics. Well i really like chicagos tho, and i dont like tokyos at least the idea..its just another polluent city putting on a green mask in my opinion.

well Rios stadia is actually pretty, but its in a good angle and in fact its the only true picture there cuz its an existant structure, the others are just graphics. Well i really like chicagos tho, and i dont like tokyos at least the idea..its just another polluent city putting on a green mask in my opinion.

Tokyo received the highest marks of all applicant cities when it comes to environment, reflecting both current environmental conditions and impact of the Games <_<

Has Rio not moved athletics to Maracana.

Thats not the final design of the Tokyo stadium. The final design is better.

Moving Athletics to Maracana might be difficult . It is not View planes , capacity or floor space to put the Tartan Surface in that is the problem. Maracana inside could certainly serve as an athletics stadium. It is land outside the stadium that has to have the required 400 metre warm up track and also the throwing area. The Arena at Maracana is in the Bid for Volleyball and in fact have all ready been approved by the FIVB so it is not coming down for the 2016 olympics if awarded and the outdoor aquatics centre on the Maracana might make up part of the land for the Warm up Field .

JV stadium was designed for these factors and you will have the planned capacity go to 60000 for the 2014 tournament. The roofs on the ends could be take off between 2014 and 2016 and 10000 seats per side could be added as temporary seating much like Sydney 2000 had. There is no requirement for 100 percent roof coverage for the spectators for the Summer Olympics Athletics Stadium but there is of course for wc 2014. You basically can have Sydney 2000's Main stadium with JV but the developing of it take a revise course from that stadium.

Here is something to read from the Rio 2016 website http://www.rio2016.org.br/en/Entrevistas/E...?idConteudo=514

Australian Architect John Baker has been the lead on Rio's Pan Am 2007 and 2016 Olympic Plans since 2003. Rider Hunt who were involved in Sydney 2000 are also involved with JV Stadium.

jim jones

Archived