The Ioc Should Have Pulled A Fifa/iaac

While Innsbruck is the right host given the short 3-4 year turn around to the 2012 Winter Olympic Kiddy Fest and Bake Off Sale - however the IOC should have given Kuopio the 2016 edition at the same time. Why? Because I said so. However further explanation is forthcoming.

If they want the YOGs to go to "lesser" cities, etc they should have rightfully given the first Games to whomever could slap them together straight away - but then give the next set to a newer hosting region. The extended lead in time means they will have further time to prepare and test venues/infrastructure and host smaller events. As it is the 2014 Summer YOGs host will probably be announced prior to the Singapore 2010 Games - thus obviously thge IOC is sticking with the format for at least two rotations. It would have been a big gesture to the Finns and the sporting world to give 2016 to Kuopio at the same time. Innsbruck will still get the glory of hosting the first Winter Games anyway.

Lets be honest - the 2014 bidders will probably be Harbin, Norway/Sweden and Kuopio anyway. I cant see Canada/USA or Japan getting wet over these Games.

Anyhow thats my two cents worth.

While Innsbruck is the right host given the short 3-4 year turn around to the 2012 Winter Olympic Kiddy Fest and Bake Off Sale - however the IOC should have given Kuopio the 2016 edition at the same time. Why? Because I said so. However further explanation is forthcoming.

If they want the YOGs to go to "lesser" cities, etc they should have rightfully given the first Games to whomever could slap them together straight away - but then give the next set to a newer hosting region. The extended lead in time means they will have further time to prepare and test venues/infrastructure and host smaller events. As it is the 2014 Summer YOGs host will probably be announced prior to the Singapore 2010 Games - thus obviously thge IOC is sticking with the format for at least two rotations. It would have been a big gesture to the Finns and the sporting world to give 2016 to Kuopio at the same time. Innsbruck will still get the glory of hosting the first Winter Games anyway.

Lets be honest - the 2014 bidders will probably be Harbin, Norway/Sweden and Kuopio anyway. I cant see Canada/USA or Japan getting wet over these Games.

Anyhow thats my two cents worth.

I could see smaller Canadian cities getting all wet for the Youth Games, but no Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver. Maybe Quebec City, Ottawa, Halifax, Winnipeg, London.

Quebec City someday wants the grown up Olympics. Maybe Kelowna or Kamloops, but most of the other cities you listed don't have mountains.

In the USA, maybe Boise or Spokane. But I agree with Puppy. Not going to attract much interest from the big name winter cities.

The Summer Games might catch the eye of places like Winnipeg, Louisville, or Baltimore...but again, not the heavy hitters.

It'd be nice if, for the WYOGs, they threw a bone at some of the southern possibles _ NZ or Chile (assuming they ever bid). Surely the season would not be as important as for the seniors - and the south wouldn't have much of a chance for the main winter games any time soon anyway.

Summer-wise, yeah, I agree, In Oz, it's not as if Melbourne or Sydney would have any interest. But a Brisbane or an Auckland just might be able to get wet over the idea.

Quebec City someday wants the grown up Olympics. Maybe Kelowna or Kamloops, but most of the other cities you listed don't have mountains.

In the USA, maybe Boise or Spokane. But I agree with Puppy. Not going to attract much interest from the big name winter cities.

The Summer Games might catch the eye of places like Winnipeg, Louisville, or Baltimore...but again, not the heavy hitters.

I was mentioning cities for both, not just winter.

• 11 months later...

There are a couple of advantages of waiting at least a LITTLE bit longer to decide the 2016 city, and that is it will be pretty much useless time. Why? Because Kuopio or any other city that doesn't have much event hosting experience will be waiting around to see what happens with the premiere city's organizing before acting themselves anyways. Finances could be better managed and predicted by having some wait time as well. Gauging the preliminary stages of Innsbruck and what kind of support is being promised, from where, and when especially since the YOG are something completely new with no precedent will be important for a new-to-hosting city.

A very big advantage I also is is that it makes 2016 bids that much more competitive if there is that extra time of observing Innsbruck's progress before deciding to put their name in the hat.

I do understand the benefits of awarding them simultaneously, but I think the IOC and Rogge want to risk time management of the next, potentially less-experienced host city to give the YOG/YWOG a slight stagger in order to squeeze out as much interest in bidding and team-building as possible and really get the ball rolling.

But, as it stands, there are only Lucerne and Sofia bidding for 2016 and not much information available on Sofia.

Archived