Black Londoners oppose the London Bid

Gents, not sure if you've read my posts but I have pointed out that as well as Dalton Grant, there is at least one other black and one other asian board member.  There may even be others but I don't recognise the names.

The thread is a non-issue on the make-up of the Board issue.

Quote: ‘Is Youssou N'Dour not an African musician then?'

Yes he very definitely is African  but I do not consider having him singing backing harmonies for one of Jos Stone’s cover versions, to be my  idea of giving African Musician the opportunity  to perform to a global audience so they can get their musical product to the western market.

Another way to look at it is that Geldof erected a vicious trade barrier against African musicians.

And how is it that Geldof the savior of Africa had no black or African musicians in his address book?

As for his argument that his sponsors insisted that he only allowed the elite of rock music to perform...

I would definitely NOT put him in that category; or Razorlight (with their one album) or Velvet Revolver or Pete Doherty who I do believe is related one of Bob’s mate in the PR Company

I do think it is a perfectly valid exercise for a black radio station to carry out a poll of 800 of their listeners calling in.

Robert Henson:

The Black and multui – cultural matter is an issue because the 2012 team chose to stress it in their bid.

If that has stressed the role of homosexuals or Jews I would expect them to be represented.

Two weeks age Tessa Jowel was playing the race card, touring black organization begging us to support the bid and not to link up with the ‘NO’ campaigners.

I have been involved in many regeneration projects in London where the BME communities are treated as statistical fodder in order to attract money to deprived areas but when the money comes in – it is feeding time for white consultants who come in, using cliché phrases such as ‘capacity building’ – but put the money in their pockets.

Ten years later the rate of unemployment, drug abuse, bad housing etc, still remains.

Seems to me that if forum members ignored these rants, perhaps the ranters would get the message.  Please don't encourage ignorant discourse by responding to it.

Yes he very definitely is African  but I do not consider having him singing backing harmonies for one of Jos Stone’s cover versions, to be my  idea of giving African Musician the opportunity  to perform to a global audience so they can get their musical product to the western market.

Another way to look at it is that Geldof erected a vicious trade barrier against African musicians.

And how is it that Geldof the savior of Africa had no black or African musicians in his address book?

As for his argument that his sponsors insisted that he only allowed the elite of rock music to perform...

I would definitely NOT put him in that category; or Razorlight (with their one album) or Velvet Revolver or Pete Doherty who I do believe is related one of Bob’s mate in the PR Company

I do think it is a perfectly valid exercise for a black radio station to carry out a poll of 800 of their listeners calling in.

Robert Henson:

The Black and multui – cultural matter is an issue because the 2012 team chose to stress it in their bid.

If that has stressed the role of homosexuals or Jews I would expect them to be represented.

Two weeks age Tessa Jowel was playing the race card, touring black organization begging us to support the bid and not to link up with the ‘NO’ campaigners.

I have been involved in many regeneration projects in London where the BME communities are treated as statistical fodder in order to attract money to deprived areas but when the money comes in – it is feeding time for white consultants who come in, using cliché phrases such as ‘capacity building’ – but put the money in their pockets.

Ten years later the rate of unemployment, drug abuse, bad housing etc, still remains.

Oh sorry, I thought you said that there were no Africans performing. Please be specific about what you consider a performance to be so I don't make the same mistake again..... Your arguments lack structure and are based on one radio poll.

For the record the 3 Black friends I have that live in London all support the bid.

This is disappointing information, Pamlondon. What, if anything, do you think could be done to garner more support for the Games, if we got them, from the London Black community, assuming your opinions are accurate?

And are there any circumstances under which you would lend your personal support to the idea of the Olympic Games coming to London?

This might well all be purely academic soon, but these remain important questions for the future, one would have thought.

With respect.

Sorry Diana, but I have to ask.

Pam, now your back are you going to acknowlede your mistakes about the make-up of the London 2012 Board or you just going to ignore it and carry on making further spurious statements?

Fine, if we're making an issue of multi-culturalism, lets talk about how in France,  Jewish and Muslims are not allowed to wear prayer hats - religious symbolism has been banned.

Typical London fans: make it about Paris instead of dealing with the issue. London goes on about its multiculturalism, London goes on about Live8 being a plus for their bid, but when the deficiencies of these organizations are pointed out, they claim it was never an issue, or try to turn the question toward some imaginary claim about Paris.

Now about hats: how about banning those things the Queen wears?

Now about hats: how about banning those things the Queen wears?

Now don't you start spreading any of that revolutionary liberty talk around here, parisphoto, lol.

I do agree with your points, though. In spite of my partiality, I do think trying to deflect or to dismiss the views raised by the initial poster is wrong. I am just unsure as to the voracity of what has been said, as others have been. In wider terms, though, (in the world beyond the Olympic bids), there were some challenging questions implied.

But this is a forum about the bids, isn't it? So race-relations questions that are not directly related to the theme - and it was never clearly shown that they were in this case - would seem to belong elsewherem wouldn't they.

Good luck with your corner!

Typical London fans: make it about Paris instead of dealing with the issue. London goes on about its multiculturalism, London goes on about Live8 being a plus for their bid, but when the deficiencies of these organizations are pointed out, they claim it was never an issue, or try to turn the question toward some imaginary claim about Paris.

Paris supporters are hyping these claims up and by doing so they are putting the bid they support in a perfectly legitimate firing line. Stop whining about it.

Seems to me that if forum members ignored these rants, perhaps the ranters would get the message.  Please don't encourage ignorant discourse by responding to it.

Yes, the best way to exstinguish them is to ignore them, they will soon crawl back to where they came from.

He didn't sing a Joss Stone cover - he sang 1 song with Dido which they both said they thought was appropriate for the day (i.e. thank you!), then she sang with him on his hit 'seven Seconds!  They then repeated it all again at the Eden Project, which was set up because of the all the criticism about the lack of African music!  It was totally dedicated to it and, from what I saw of it and read about, apparently was superb!  I think that at the end of the day, in Britain at least as I can't speak for all of the countries involved as I didn't see every performer at their concerts, African musicians were well represented.  UB40 are 70% black!  

A lot has been said about Bob Geldof's choice of performers on the day, but when you consider all his contacts are the old elite of pop, he went for those he invited to the original Live Aid and were still around and massive (at least in Britain and his eyes) and the major performers he had doing band Aid 2.  Simple as that...  I don't think he really thought about 'quotas' at all.  He may have got it wrong, but Bob Geldof being Bob Geldof  will not have given two hoots so what is the point of arguing about it.  It was a big success for a good cause!

Besides, who can please everybody when you pull off a massive concert all ove the world like that in such a short space of time...  I was pleased to see people like Craig David, etc., performing in Paris and other concerts as well! It seems bizarre though that Craig David and Miss Dynamite have not done much recently, but Lemar has been popular a lot and did not perform ???

Archived