Sign in to follow this  
YellowVest

Is Vancouver The Last Winter Olympics For Nbc?

Nowhere does it say that NBC wants out of the Olympic broadcasting business.

ABC, CBS, and others have always started news about possible bids every time the rights are up for bidding, and every single time for the past 14 years or so all the other networks have taken a step back and let NBC broadcast it. Hell, I remember the exact same news when the 2010 and 2012 tv rights were up for negotiation.

ABC, CBS, and others have always started news about possible bids every time the rights are up for bidding, and every single time for the past 14 years or so all the other networks have taken a step back and let NBC broadcast it. Hell, I remember the exact same news when the 2010 and 2012 tv rights were up for negotiation.

I hope it continues to be the case. As much as I dislike their coverage at times, I wouldn't want anyone else covering the Games here.

"Bob Costas makes the Olympics sound like Football. Bob Costas makes Football sound like the Olympics." B):P

This is a pretty normal thing. NBC doesn't sign an infinite contract with the IOC. NBC just out bid the competition for about 20 years. Last non-NBC Olympics I recall were Nagano on CBS. ABC's last Olympics were Calgary.

Yeah NBC does not want the Olympics RIGHT. if you have Time Warner, CBS and Fox all in the Running for that franchise then NBC is certainly not dropping out of the Picture. General Electric who owns Universal NBC Sold huge amounts of Medical Imaging Equipment to the Chinese on the back of the 2008 games.

GE certainly sold a few times the huge broadcast fee they paid Beijing and the IOC for the 2008 games which recorded the largest TV ratings for the United States Market for any Olympics including Atlanta 1996 or a Home Soil Olympics.

With The Olympics naturally comes Advertising from Some of the IOC Worldwide Partners like Coca Cola and McDonalds. I am sure I saw the Asian Worldwide Partners advertising on NBC during the games as well.

jim jones

If anything, the networks get higher ratings and fees and LESS production costs for the Winter Games THAN the Summer. They're smaller in scale but EVEN more attractive for the millions of people stuck at home on cold winter nights.

If anything, the networks get higher ratings and fees and LESS production costs for the Winter Games THAN the Summer. They're smaller in scale but EVEN more attractive for the millions of people stuck at home on cold winter nights.

Absolutely right Baron . The big disadvantage for the Winter Games is being in the thick of the Network Tv season offerings. America Idol actually did better ratings on the nights they were head to head against the Torino 2006 Games. The Summer Games don't have that type of Problem Especially When NBCs Dick Embersol told the IOC and Beijing 2008 that a September or fall Summer Games is no good to them . In August they don't go against the start of the NFL football season.

The Winter Olympics are generally having a greater growth of Worldwide Audience then the Summer Games including in Latin America which an ABC ESPN Disney could take huge advantage of . ESPN has a Latin American Network.

Oh lordy, I hope ABC and CBS steer clear. NBC's production is always top notch and its good affiliate network system is a big plus. ABC has a nice network, but its production is always really behind the times.

All of the American networks seem to be behind the times for me, even NBC, but not as much. I would prefer it just stay with NBC, they are reliable, and they have the power to get the event final times changed to prime-time.

I'd like it to go to CBS. Good as Costas is over Bryant Gumble (thank God that prick isn't around anymore), I'm getting tired of him. Besdies, CBS always has much better (regular season) shows to lead up to than boring NBC shows.

*yawn* 30 years ago nobody could imagine anyone but ABC hosting the Olympics with Jim McKay. Then NBC got their groove going around Barcelona. Anyone can broadcast these things.

nbc2010pe5.png

It's quite consistent with the logos prior to Beijing, of course albeit with some modifcations over the Salt Lake and Torino designs.

I just don't want Fox to host. I kind of hope ABC/ESPN win, since they would show the events live. Let's take a look at the channel possibilities.

NBC Universal: We know they have done a pretty good job, but I want the events live in Sochi. They have NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, USA, Telemundo, Oxygen, and Universal HD. They could potentially return Bravo and extend to Sci Fi and The Weather Channel. However working strongly against them is despite being at the top of the game in the cable race, NBC has given up it's third hour of programming essentially for three hours of talk shows and will fall far behind CBS, ABC, and Fox in the first half of 2009 and the downward spiral is likely to continue.

Disney (ABC/ESPN): It is a sport network and has many networks to work with. ABC, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic, ESPN U, ABC Family, Disney Channel, Disney DX, and Soap Net. Obviously Disney Channel and Disney DX is geared towards younger viewers, but when Fox owned family channel they used to help Fox air the MLB playoffs. So they have numerous channels and ABC/Soap Net is clearly geared towards females, so come up with sob stories and than sports fans know how to find the ESPNs, so I think they would likely be best.

CBS/Time Warner: CBS is TVs#1 channel and Time Warner will have many channels to work with. The channels they would have to work with are CBS, CW, Showtime, CBS College Sports, TBS, TNT, CNN, CNN Headline News, Tuner Classic Movie, Cartoon Network, and truTV. They could work very well together.

Fox: Fox has butchered the superbowl, the world series, and the BCS series in the past. I really do not want them to get it, but they do have the assets necessary. Those assets are Fox, MyNetworkTV, Fox Sports, Fox News, Fox Business, Fox Movies, Fox Reality, Fox Soccer, FX, and Speed Channel.

So I'm fine with either ABC, CBS, or NBC, but not Fox. I'm also of course hoping for a Chicago victorious bid for 2016.

If Fox News EVER covers the Olympics I will demand the firing of the IOC in its entirety... And I'm not even kidding...

Anyway, I think that ABC/ESPN could do an interesting job, definitively the best non-NBC option.

Sign in to follow this