Innsbruck Wins

I wonder who wants to watch 14 years old kiddies running 100 m?

Well I've seen coverage of the Little League World Series (of Baseball), Junior Tennis Championships (Wimbledon and the US Open), High School Football, High School Basketball, and High School Volleyball... Attach the words "Olympic Games" and you've got viewers!

I have to "admit" that I am totally not interested in Rogges hobbyhorse "YOG" - neither in the Summer YOGs nor in the Winter YOGs...

I wonder who wants to watch 14 years old kiddies running 100 m?

The good peoples of the United States of America.

Seriously, tough, US Americans are obsessed whit High School and College sports. So much that I get a TV channel here that is dedicated only to American College sports (many more of those exist south of the border). So, conceivably, the YOGs could find an audience in the US.

Seriously, tough, US Americans are obsessed whit High School and College sports. So much that I get a TV channel here that is dedicated only to American College sports (many more of those exist south of the border). So, conceivably, the YOGs could find an audience in the US.

I would guess that most Olympians are college age and get a lot of training and support from their college teams, so the caliber of competition is not too far off. Most interest in high school level sport is local at best. I think the verdict for a YOG won't be known until 2010.

well, guess what...with over-all belt-tightening money-wise, some school districts have announced that the first programs to go will be sports. Great. Send those kids to music and art and debating classes.

If it isn't already, electives like those and others are becoming a requirement like Physical Education. I can see parents in middle-America preferring to keep sports over things like Culinary Arts though.

... Not that the teens that will attend the YOGs will be getting their talent from public-school programs.

• 4 weeks later...
I would guess that most Olympians are college age and get a lot of training and support from their college teams, so the caliber of competition is not too far off. Most interest in high school level sport is local at best. I think the verdict for a YOG won't be known until 2010.

it'll crash and burn. interest comes from primetime network timeslots and big name commercial sponsorships, which eventually spark media interest.

this'll be on espn 2 at 11 a.m. at best. nobody's even going to waste tivo space.

but i guess the amount of attention it receives will be based on how much money the ioc pumps into it.

but on the other hand it's boring even to bitch about it.

But which sports are they obsessed with? I'm guessing mostly football, basketball, and possibly baseball. Good ol' American sports that have traditions and are engrained in the culture. Will they tune in to watch teenagers from Zimbabwe and Peru run the track in Singapore or some more pimpled faces from Bulgaria or Andorra try out the luge in Innsbruk?

Wake me when they have a Seniors Olympics for retired athletes. Yeah. I wanna see Bruce Jenner try his old tricks or maybe the ultimate face off with Olga, Nadia and Mary Lou. Sure, someone's gonna get hurt, but that's better TV.

Good ol' American sports that have traditions and are engrained in the culture.

It's not like we're glued to Athletics, Aquatics, and Artistic Gymnastics for 3 years either.

No one knew who the hell Shawn Johnson and Nastua Liukun were a year ago. But then came NBC Olympic promos and they're famous.

People will tune-in into anything Olympic. I mean, who cares about Moguls when those five rings aren't in the background?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Will they have ice hockey at this thing? If they do will it be similar to the World Junior championships? That might be popular because the world juniors are a big thing in Canada and for hockey fans in the United States.

Yes, Ice Hockey for both boys and girls. Same sports as for the Olympics.

Here is the sports' part of the Insbruck Bid Book : http://www.innsbruck2012.com/upload/multifile/1213882906.pdf

I thought you had to be a bit older to do luge, skeleton etc.

There is no luge apparently : only bob & skeleton.

No idea about the age to practice those sports, but why not about 16 !

• 4 months later...
10 December 2009
[PRESS RELEASE] 

IOC Executive Board approves qualification systems for the 1st Winter Youth 
Olympic Games in 2012 in Innsbruck

The Executive Board (EB) of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) today approved the qualification system for each event at the first Winter Youth Olympic Games (YOG), which will be held in Innsbruck in 2012. This follows the previous EB approval of the sports competition programme.

The qualification system for each sport and discipline, which was prepared in close collaboration with the International Federations (IF), strives to guarantee participation of the best athletes in their age category.

For all disciplines, competitions such as Junior World Championships and Continental Championships, or official junior ranking lists, will allow athletes to attempt to qualify for the YOG.

Over 1,000 athletes will compete in Innsbruck in seven sports, comprising 63 events. The number of sports on the programme is identical to the Vancouver programme. Each event has its own age group* competing, either 15-16, 16-17 or 17-18 years old. The bobsleigh age group will be 18-19 years old, and male participants in the pairs and ice dancing skating events will be 15-18 years old, to comply with the specificities of the sport.

The Youth Olympic Games will see some events differ from those of the Olympic Games. A hockey skills challenge and women’s ski jumping will be included. Mixed–gender and mixed-NOC team events will take place in biathlon, curling (artificial track), skating (figure skating, short track speed skating and speed skating with mass start), and skiing (Alpine skiing and ski jumping). The combination of cross country skiing and biathlon will be organised as a mixed-gender team event. 

Besides the sports competition programme, the YOG will feature an extensive Culture and Education Programme (CEP), which aims to introduce young athletes to Olympism and the Olympic values, and to raise awareness on important issues such as the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, the fight against doping and their role as sports ambassadors in their communities.

The Executive Board discussed the general progress of preparations by IYOGOC for the YOG, which are on time and moving ahead steadily.

* The age being the athlete’s age on 31 December in the year of the YOG.

• 1 year later...

Archived