Sign in to follow this  
Durban Sandshark

2008 Sports Illustrated Sportsman Of The Year

Just stating the obvious about this one, announced and unvieled today: you don't earn the accolades and privileges coming your way without having accomplished what he did thus cementing his then-seemingly impossible and incredible Olympic legendary status. That just cannot be ignored to many in general public. Interesting cover--it looks like his head was planted on the body of a model. I knew he was going to get the honor like he has already with a GQ cover as one of the 2008 Men of the Year with the likes of Obama. Who else was really going to rival him for that?

2008 SI Sportsman of the Year Cover

It would have been a Bolt from the Blue if anyone else had gotten the title!

Usain would've been definitely interesting, and he surely got some votes for it if he did. But obviously as a US-centric sports magazine, the Jamaican lacks the Q rating in the eyes of the mainstream American public compared to Phelps.

Usain would've been definitely interesting, and he surely got some votes for it if he did. But obviously as a US-centric sports magazine, the Jamaican lacks the Q rating in the eyes of the mainstream American public compared to Phelps.

Is it a vote or a one man decision? See article below.

53859.jpglogo.gif

Link to article in context: http://www.universalsports.com/ViewArticle...;ATCLID=3626034

NEW YORK (AP) -- Michael Phelps achieved another unprecedented feat: the first swimmer honored as Sports Illustrated’s sportsman of the year.

Phelps broke Mark Spitz’s iconic record with eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympics in August and became the winningest Olympian ever with his 14 career victories. Olympians in other sports have earned the award before in its 54-year history, but never a swimmer. In 1972, the year Spitz won his medals, UCLA basketball coach John Wooden and tennis great Billie Jean King were honored by the magazine.

“Honestly, I feel like the same person I’ve been my whole life,” Phelps told The Associated Press at a recent photo session where he posed for the Sports Illustrated cover. “I’m doing what I love. I was able to accomplish what I wanted to accomplish this year. It’s been a dream come true of a year, and I definitely couldn’t ask to change anything.”

The 23-year-old Phelps follows a more traditional winner, NFL quarterback Brett Favre. Sports Illustrated Group editor Terry McDonell called the selection of Phelps “the easiest choice I have made.”

“It is so obvious that he changed not only swimming, but the entire Olympic landscape,” McDonell said.

Phelps captivated Americans during his record chase, driving up NBC’s television ratings and inspiring conversations about swimming among people who had never followed the sport before. He returned to the U.S. to the ultimate validation of pop culture relevance: He hosted the season premiere of “Saturday Night Live.”

“The football players and basketball players and baseball players have it a little bit different. Everybody sees their faces more often,” Phelps said.

“Just being able to have the attention of the American public is something I’ve always wanted for our sport. I’ve been able—not only myself but my teammates—have been able to work together to allow that to happen.”

Yup, writers nominate, editor chooses.

Sports Illustrated's 2008 Sportsman of the Year is Michael Phelps. For the past month SI writers have offered their personal nominations for the award with essays on SI.com. The writer nominations have included Usain Bolt (Tim Layden), Rafael Nadal (Jon Wertheim), Kurt Warner (Peter King), Alexander Ovechkin (S.L. Price), Jimmie Johnson (Lars Anderson), Josh Hamilton (Pablo S. Torre), Stephen Curry (Joe Posnanski), Tiger Woods (Chris Ballard) and the Fresno State baseball team (Lee Jenkins).

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/staff/po...361?eref=fromSI

he still speaks like a 5 year old.

ifts nof the triamf bart the stwuggle.

he still speaks like a 5 year old.

ifts nof the triamf bart the stwuggle.

He didn't it say it like that.

Mo, that might be that "Bawlimore" accent you heard whenever Phelps speaks. I won't even attempt to mimic it here. But go check out a John Water movie or one from Barry Levinson (like "Diner") on video to understand what I'm talking about.

Who says our American swimmers can't be like rock stars? Surely Australian swimming legends are. Why can't ours?

Michael Phelps' Book Signing Draws Long Lines Of People

I saw him live on the Today show this morning, but had no idea he was going to be at the B&N at 5th & 46th until after his appearance was over. I "met" Phelps and a bunch of Olympians in 2004 after Athens though. The funny thing is, at that time, I spent all my time talking to Gary Hall Jr and said nothing to Phelps, and I only remember those two, I can't even remember who else was in the van. Some of our female gymnasts from 2004 if I recall correctly.

Mo, that might be that "Bawlimore" accent you heard whenever Phelps speaks. I won't even attempt to mimic it here. But go check out a John Water movie or one from Barry Levinson (like "Diner") on video to understand what I'm talking about.

I know. Just find Phelps very odd.

I know. Just find Phelps very odd.

The only place Phelps said that line was in the introduction to NBC's opening ceremony broadcast, so you must have managed to see our coverage (or part of it).

As if that wasn't enough, Phelps is one of the coverboys on the latest ESPN The Magazine issue, its year-end one. But this is a reverse flip cover he shares with Falcons rookie QB Matt Ryan.

I had a chance to read some of Phelps' new book by the way at the Borders bookstore near where I work recently.

Sign in to follow this