• Roller Racing
    • Karate
    • Golf
    • Baseball
    • Softball
    • Squash
    • Rugby 7's
    • Dancesport

For argument's sake, I believe Handball should be up there, if only because its dominated by European teams in a level that is equal, if not surpassed, by the Asian dominance in Table Tennis and Badminton.

Anyway, if it was up to me I would axe Modern Pentathlon and add Squash, Karate and *shudder* Golf.

And I will go on and defend some sports I absolutely don't want to go:

-Badminton: one of the most physically demanding sports in the games, only sport in which Indonesia (the world's fourth biggest country) excel.

-Fencing: good balance between America, Europe and Asia (shame Africa is lagging, tough). Doesn't require much of a venue and is one of the most iconic Olympic sports.

-Table Tennis: very popular in both Asia and Europe, is practised at various levels virtually everywhere and, minus China, the medals are quite evenly distributed (although it is true that China has won nearly 50% of all the medals ever awarded in Table Tennis...)

-Taekwondo: could work well whit some reforms, gives medals to some country whit little Olympic tradition.

-Tennis: most top players show up (and most who don't are either injured or theyre country is over quota) and the tournament is competitive from the first matches.

-Weightlifting: Somehow becomes very spectator-friendly during the games...

-Football: Although it is very expensive to organize it also typically bring in a lot of revenue and television exposure. It is also the biggest stage for women's Football.

-Trampoline: Never understood why people bash the sport...

Just to clarify(please correct me). The cap in terms of the number of sports is 28, while the 2012 programme include 26 sports. So we could actually get more than 2 "new" sports added to the 2016 programme if one or more of the existing sports fail the 50% mark.

Also, I'd like the IOC technical manual on the design of venues. ...please. :)

Good, interesting poll. Though I agree, things like handball and sailing should possibly be on there as well.

Handball and Sailing are too traditional of sports and they are popular. Also Handball is one of the most accessible sports during the games.

Handball and Sailing are too traditional of sports and they are popular. Also Handball is one of the most accessible sports during the games.

Oh, I'm not necessarily in favour of dropping either of those. sailing, despite its cost, it's very common requirement to be held way away from the main games city and so on, I actually would want to keep (Oz has picked up a few golds in it anyway, heheh!). Handball, I couldn't care less about _ in or out.

Both, though, and more, are worth adding to the mix though. About the ONLY compulsories I'd set aside that SHOULDN'T be dropped from any games are athetics, swimming, gymnastics, cycling and rowing.

I believe the core of the Olympics are

Athletics

Aquatics (Swimming, Water Polo, Diving)

Basketball

Boxing

Canoe/Kayak (flatwater, slalom)

Cycling (road, track and mountain)

Equestrian

Fencing

Field Hockey

Gymnastics ( Artistic, Trampoline)

Handball

Judo

Rowing

Sailing

Volleyball

Wrestling

Sports 17 through 28 are entirely up in the air. I just included the sports that most people mention on here.

I think that it would be wiser to expand the events for the 16 principle sports, adding more women's events in wrestling, rowing (and more events in general), canoe/kayak, boxing and track cycling. I was not a big fan of BMX.

I think with those core sports and Rugby 7's, Squash, Triathlon, Softball, Archery, Badminton, Roller Sports and Dancesport. Along with eliminating greco-roman wrestling, synchronized diving and swimming, rhythmic gymnastics and adding tumbling at the discipline level.

That is 24 sports, 36 disciplines and around 350 events. But the IOC doesn't see sense. And members are too protective of their sports.

I believe the core of the Olympics are

Athletics

Aquatics (Swimming, Water Polo, Diving)

Basketball

Boxing

Canoe/Kayak (flatwater, slalom)

Cycling (road, track and mountain)

Equestrian

Fencing

Field Hockey

Gymnastics ( Artistic, Trampoline)

Handball

Judo

Rowing

Sailing

Volleyball

Wrestling

Sports 17 through 28 are entirely up in the air. I just included the sports that most people mention on here.

I think that it would be wiser to expand the events for the 16 principle sports, adding more women's events in wrestling, rowing (and more events in general), canoe/kayak, boxing and track cycling. I was not a big fan of BMX.

I think with those core sports and Rugby 7's, Squash, Triathlon, Softball, Archery, Badminton, Roller Sports and Dancesport. Along with eliminating greco-roman wrestling, synchronized diving and swimming, rhythmic gymnastics and adding tumbling at the discipline level.

That is 24 sports, 36 disciplines and around 350 events. But the IOC doesn't see sense. And members are too protective of their sports.

I could live with those 16 core sports. In fact, it would be great to have a core of only 16.

I've always liked the Commonwealth Games formula with its, what is it now?, core of six, and then make the rest optional. I really think it helps individualise each games, while keeping in tradition, and also being able to tailor it more for a host crowd or a host city's capabilities. This 26/28 mix the IOC seem to be going for to me is just a slight tinkering and doesn't go far enough.

Archived