Milk

LA84

30 years ago today, San Francisco was rocked, two weeks after the Jonestown massacre, by the assassination of Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk. A truly historic event, no doubt.

The San Francisco Chronicle has been reporting on it all week.

November 27, 1978 NBC Report Of the Assasinations

And yesterday, the movie "Milk" came out

Milk

Now, San Francisco believes this event was the biggest thing since the Stonewall riots for gay rights. Am interested in our international friends opinions.

And yesterday, the movie "Milk" came out.

I saw "Milk" last night. It was pretty good, I can see the mainstream crowd going for it. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets some Oscar noms.

I saw "Milk" last night. It was pretty good, I can see the mainstream crowd going for it. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets some Oscar noms.

You think it is another Brokeback?

I must say, in the premiers, San Francisco City Hall has never looked so good.

This is interesting, mostly for Californians. Interview with Sen. Dianne Feinstien, who became Mayor after the Moscone murder about that day:

Clicky Here

You think it is another Brokeback?

I must say, in the premiers, San Francisco City Hall has never looked so good.

I think it's better than "Brokeback." I didn't like that movie, it was highly overrated IMO. In fact the majority of people I know who really liked that movie are women; so it's really a chick flick, which I usually don't go for. It makes sense; it was a straight woman who wrote the original novella.

SF City Hall did look good in "Milk."

My only complaints of the film were the little historical anachronisms/inaccuracies, which I always look for in period films. In the movie, you see the historic F Market line streetcars, which didn't exist in 1970s San Francisco, those were restored in the mid-1990s. And the telephones, I notice the handsets have the kind of cord that you can plug in to the handset, which didn't exist in the 1970s either. And many of the men's haircuts, to me some of them looked more like contemporary longish hairstyles than authentic 1970s haircuts. And the only disco song you heard in the movie was Sylvester's You Make Me Feel Mighty Real. I'll get off my soapbox now. ;)

I think it's better than "Brokeback." I didn't like that movie, it was highly overrated IMO. In fact the majority of people I know who really liked that movie are women; so it's really a chick flick, which I usually don't go for. It makes sense; it was a straight woman who wrote the original novella.

SF City Hall did look good in "Milk."

My only complaints of the film were the little historical anachronisms/inaccuracies, which I always look for in period films. In the movie, you see the historic F Market line streetcars, which didn't exist in 1970s San Francisco, those were restored in the mid-1990s. And the telephones, I notice the handsets have the kind of cord that you can plug in to the handset, which didn't exist in the 1970s either. And many of the men's haircuts, to me some of them looked more like contemporary longish hairstyles than authentic 1970s haircuts. And the only disco song you heard in the movie was Sylvester's You Make Me Feel Mighty Real. I'll get off my soapbox now. ;)

How funny. The first thing I said when I saw the premier was "Um, the F line streetcars didn't exist back then and DiFi built them in the 80's." Although, I must admit I did have Emil Hersh's hair when I graduated - in 1981 - except I was blonde. B)

First of all I have to admit that I didn't remember anything about the murders of Moscone and Milk - which is a little bit astonishing for me since I am quite good in history/news...

Therewith I read the articles about the murders on wikipedia - afterwards I watched the trailer: I was surprised that in the wikipedia article it isn't mentioned that Dan White was/is a homophobic, which is clearly shown in the trailer.

• 1 month later...

Finally, it opened down here _ and i gotta say, I loved it! I even found it very inspiring.

And I thought Sean Penn was excellent.

And while you guys with personal experience might well have been able to nit-pick the local historical flaws, to me it really got the 70s "feel" right as well. Made we wanna head back to SF again soon, too.

In all, I'd say it's one of the best, if not the best, mainstream gay movie I've seen. Though I question how "mainstream" it really is. I don't imagine it'd have quite as much crossover audience as Brokeback.

Archived