Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob.

F1 2009 - The Official Thread

Hitler? He got things done, says Formula One chief Bernie Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone, the Formula One chief, said yesterday that he preferred totalitarian regimes to democracies and praised Adolf Hitler for his ability to “get things done”.

In an outspoken interview with The Times, the 78-year-old billionaire chastised contemporary politicians for their weakness and extolled the virtues of strong leadership.

Mr Ecclestone said: “In a lot of ways, terrible to say this I suppose, but apart from the fact that Hitler got taken away and persuaded to do things that I have no idea whether he wanted to do or not, he was in the way that he could command a lot of people, able to get things done.

“In the end he got lost, so he wasn’t a very good dictator because either he had all these things and knew what was going on and insisted, or he just went along with it . . . so either way he wasn’t a dictator.” He also rounded on democracy, claiming that “it hasn’t done a lot of good for many countries — including this one [britain]”.

A spokesman for the Board of Deputies of British Jews said: “Mr Ecclestone’s comments regarding Hitler, female, black and Jewish racing drivers, and dictatorships are quite bizarre. He says [in the interview], ‘Politics is not for me’, and we are inclined to agree.”

Stephen Pollard, Editor of the Jewish Chronicle, said: “Mr Ecclestone is either an idiot or morally repulsive. Either he has no idea how stupid and offensive his views are or he does and deserves to be held in contempt by all decent people.”

Denis MacShane, the Labour MP and chairman of the all-party inquiry into anti-Semitism, and chairman of the European Institute for the Study of Contemporary Anti-Semitism, condemned Mr Ecclestone’s decision to align himself to a “growing” anti-democracy movement.

“Of course democracy and the politicians are imperfect and full of fault,” he said.

“But this fashionable contempt for the right of people to elect their own leaders is frankly frightening.

“If Mr Ecclestone seriously thinks Hitler had to be persuaded to kill six million Jews, invade every European country and bomb London then he knows neither history and shows a complete lack of judgment.”

John Whittingdale, the Tory chairman of the Culture, Media and Sport Select Committee, said: “These are extraordinary views and I’m appalled that anybody could hold them.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/for...icle6633340.ece

How to win friends and influence people. And a week before the German GP as well! With him and the real little Hitler at the top of F1, is it any wonder the teams want rid?!

They sure haven't.

Mosley says he is stepping down and than all of a sudden, no there is pressure for me to stay, I'm so loved and respected.

BACK TO RACING...

Webber lands first Formula 1 pole

Red Bull's Mark Webber qualified on pole for the first time after a rain-affected qualifying session for the German Grand Prix at the Nurburgring.

The Australian clocked one minute 32.230 to pip Rubens Barrichello, who was second in his Brawn GP.

Championship leader Jenson Button was third as the unpredictable weather made for a thrilling afternoon.

The improving McLaren of Lewis Hamilton will start fifth, equalling his best qualifying performance of the season.

Webber's team-mate Sebastian Vettel pushed hard round the final few corners as he searched for pole at his home grand prix, but the German had to settle for fourth.

Heikki Kovalainen, running without the same updates as his McLaren team-mate Hamilton, recorded a creditable sixth, while Force India enjoyed their best ever qualifying with Adrian Sutil seventh on the grid.

Good for Webber! Looking forward to tomorrow's race with that grid!

Despite today's result, I would still suggest that Vettel is the stronger of the Red Bull contenders for the title. Brawn need their upgrade to come and quickly, however.

Well done Webber - did anyobdy else see Ruben's wierd post race interview?

Worst Qualy ever.

A freak accident for Massa which could've happened anywhere, followed by a delay to check the track for parts. It sounds like Massa's ok, thank God.

Then they lost all their TV pictures for three or four minutes.

Then in the final session all the timings were lost. All the drivers parked up and were asking each other what times they posted to determine who is to start on poll. Last I've heard Alonso is on poll but who knows?

Absolute farce. Just when I though F1 couldn't get any more ridiculous.

I really hope Massa is okay - he is a top driver and seems like a top bloke.

Very odd session - all part of the F1 rollercoaster.

Disappointed by the very poor Brawn performance.

Pos. Driver Team Tyres Time

1 F. Alonso Renault 1:21.569

2 S. Vettel Red Bull 1:21.607

3 M. Webber Red Bull 1:21.741

4 L. Hamilton McLaren 1:21.839

5 N. Rosberg Williams 1:21.890

6 H. Kovalainen McLaren 1:22.095

7 K. Räikkönen Ferrari 1:22.468

8 J. Button Brawn GP 1:22.511

9 K. Nakajima Williams 1:22.835

10 F. Massa Ferrari no time

I really hope Massa is okay - he is a top driver and seems like a top bloke.

Very odd session - all part of the F1 rollercoaster.

Disappointed by the very poor Brawn performance.

Rubens' car fell apart leading to Massa's crash. Button is believed to be running heavier than the front-runners and may be on a different strategy. We'll have to wait for the fuel loads to be declared. Alonso, was apparently running very, very light which explains why he was so confident before the race that he'd get poll.

As I say, we'll have to wait for the weights before we really know who's in with a shot tomorrow, though I suspect it'll be between Hamilton and the Red Bulls.

Lucky to be alive by the sounds of it - shows how 'safe' the sport has become these days.

Whats the rules? 1) An empty grid slot 2) Everybody moves "up" one place 3) Luca Badoer as the reserve driver?

Certainly not 3) as you can't replace a driver halfway through a weekend. I think 1) is what happens in these situations.

Doctors now saying Massa is in a serious, life-threatening but stable condition.

Bit late to post but that was a very smart, determined and professional drive by Lewis. And congrats to the McLaren guys for changing one of the worst cars on the grid into one of the best.

What a dramatic weekend. And, once again, here's hoping Massa's back to full health quickly.

Massas brain is ok, but the doctors have problems with his left eye. A few Italian journalists are speculating about Schumis comeback.

Now that Webber, Hamilton and others are able to win, Button can put the champagne on ice. The title remains in England.

Lot of discussions these days about the return of F1 in Montreal for next year.

I cross my fingers :rolleyes:

Well, they never got the results their budget suggested they should.

What interests me more is what will happen to their drivers. Kubica's too good not to get a drive somewhere next season. I don't want to sound like I'm being unsympathetic to Massa, but could the Pole replace him if the worst turns out to be true regarding his eye injury? Ferrari 2010, Alonso and Kubica with Raikonnen, who seems to have shown little interest since his WDC, being shipped out?

Saying that, could Renault end up with both BMW drivers? Alonso seems almost certain to be in a red car next season and I can't see Renault sticking with NPJ next year. So two free seats at Renault and two drivers looking for a ride...

Ferrari: Alonso and Massa/Kubica

Renault: Heidfeld and Kubica/Raikonnen

2+2=5 maybe, but it'll be interesting to see.

Also, are the driver line ups for the new teams (US F1, ProDrive etc.) sorted yet??

And another question, will this also lead to other teams pulling the plug?