Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob.

F1 2009 - The Official Thread

If he wins in Indycar and proves himself that might be a way back, but I suspect he has burnt a lot of bridges.

If he wins in Indycar and proves himself that might be a way back, but I suspect he has burnt a lot of bridges.

I agree. The only explanation I can think for him screwing up so bad is not taking the pressure of following the footsteps of his father. By the way, I fell sorry for Piquet Sr. he was an amazing driver who won 3 world titles during a golden age of Formula 1, racing against names like Gilles Villeneuve, Nikki Lauda, Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna, among others.

The only explanation I can think for him screwing up so bad is not taking the pressure of following the footsteps of his father.

That's the only explanation you can think of? He's just not a F1 standard pilot. That's why he couldn't make it work!

I would say good luck to him in Indycar, but after what he has dragged F1 through (and especially if 'crashgate' was his idea) I don't want to see the talentless little scroat acheive anything.

------

Now, let's talk about what's left of this season. Which of the Brawns will win the WDC in your opinion?

That's the only explanation you can think of? He's just not a F1 standard pilot. That's why he couldn't make it work!

I would say good luck to him in Indycar, but after what he has dragged F1 through (and especially if 'crashgate' was his idea) I don't want to see the talentless little scroat acheive anything.

------

Now, let's talk about what's left of this season. Which of the Brawns will win the WDC in your opinion?

For strictly patriotic reasons, I hope Barrichello wins this year. However, I have never seen a champion in him. He is very good pilot. His ability to provide feedback to improve the car is one of the best in F1, but he is just not a winner. I would rather see Massa driving his car.

In the beginning of the season it seemed to me that Button had this winning attitude. But since the Red Bulls started to win, he really choked. So, unfortunately we are going to have an undeserving champion. Someone who is just not one of those guys with the drive to become a real champion, like Alonso, Schumacher, Senna or even Hamilton and Massa.

Let's see, if Brawn can win the last races and Button's 2nd place in Monza proves to be the beginning of a reaction, the championship is decided. If Button continues to struggle, Barrichello will take it, as long as the Brawns continue to hit the first positions.

I think it is over for the Red Bulls. Their chances are like Raikkonen-'07-esque.

Michael Schumacher is right. The world championship is Button's to lose and it is still going to take a major turnaround, assuming reliability, for Barrichello to overturn that deficit.

I don't really mind which of them wins. Either would be deserving. Button for his superb drives early this season, or Barrichello for his never say die attitude and his long service and time serving as No2 at the red team. I would be more than happy with either as a worthy winner of the WDC. What's nice is that although there is a tension between the two, they seem to be genuinely friendly with each otehr. Its refreshing to see.

Fairly dull race today. The best thing I can say about it is the three drivers who drove flawlessly were all on the podium, which is what we want to see.

Also enjoyed Hamilton carrying out the F1 equivilent of hitting CTRL-ALT-DELETE on his streering wheel whilst speeding along in order to reset his KERS equipment. That takes some doing!

-------

Perhaps it's more interesting to speculate on next season after a race like that. Assuming Alonso is in a red car next year (the worst kept secret in sport) it looks like:

• Whitmarsh has all but admitted Kimi will be in a McLaren next year. Lewis and Kimi should be great fun to watch.
  • Kubica is apparently coming to Renault.
  • Rosberg looks likely to go to Brawn in a straight swap with Barrichello who'll be going the other way to Williams.

What do you think of these moves?

Brawn shouldn't let Rubens go. Rubens sets up the car like no-one else. Hulkenburg to partner Rubens at Williams then?

Brawn shouldn't let Rubens go. Rubens sets up the car like no-one else. Hulkenburg to partner Rubens at Williams then?

I agree. Besides, Button's 2nd half of the season proved to be terrible. The only reason for him to finish ahead of Barrichello today was the loss of 5 positions on the grid, because Rubens had to change its gear box. I would keep Barrichello to develop the car and have a real deserving champion to race. Besides, BGP recent recovery was helped by a new brake setting introduced by Barrichello.

This championship should be given to Ross Brawn himself, his pilots were only tools, he, and his technical team, was the one responsible for it.

The reason Brawn are so keen on Rosberg is because of their new partnership with Mercedes, who have bought into the the team. Having a German driver in one of the cars is probably a decision which has been at least partially, if not wholly, influenced by this new partnership.

-------

Perhaps it's more interesting to speculate on next season after a race like that. Assuming Alonso is in a red car next year (the worst kept secret in sport) it looks like:

• Whitmarsh has all but admitted Kimi will be in a McLaren next year. Lewis and Kimi should be great fun to watch.
  • Kubica is apparently coming to Renault.
  • Rosberg looks likely to go to Brawn in a straight swap with Barrichello who'll be going the other way to Williams.

What do you think of these moves?

Alonso- too bad for Ferrari. He's a troublemaker. :angry:

Kimi- love to see him back in McLaren (or maybe in Brawn, who knows...)

Its official. Alonso will be going to the Scarlet. Not sure i'm happy about this.

I'm thrilled!

Now, McLaren and Ferrari, pull your socks up and build the cars that will see Hamilton and Alonso fighting each other for the title! The two best drivers in the two best cars; that's what I want to see next season!

To be honest, I'm totally indifferent to it because it's felt like we've known this was going to be happening for well over a year now. Raikkonen at McLaren should be interesting to give Hamilton a bigger test than he's had within his team the last couple of years, but where does Kovailainen go? Renault?

Could be a great season coming up. Obviously McLaren and Ferrari will be up there. But if some of the challengers this year - particularly Brawn and Red Bull, but also Force India, Williams, Renault etc also have their cars running well, we could see multiple different winners and a very exciting race between more than 2 teams!

Lots to look forward to. Do other share my optimism or do we think it will be a fight between the Silver and the Red?

What major regulation changes are there for next year? I know about the no refuelling one.

This is a great change, by the way. Finally, pilots are going to have to try to overtake their opponents instead of choosing the best strategy. It will put the emphasis more on the man driving the car instead of the men making calculations on the boxes.

Weirdest qualy ever. One and a half hours. Button, Barrichello, Alonso, Sutil and Buemi have all just recieved 5-place grid penalties. Final grid is this apparently:

1- Vettel

2- Trulli

3- Hamilton

4- Heidfeld

5- Raikkonen

6- Kovalainen

7- Rosberg

8- Kubica

9- Sutil

10- Barrichello

11- Glock

12- Button

13- Alguersuari

14- Fisichella

15- Buemi

16- Nakajima

17- Alonso

18- Grosjean

19- Liuzzi

20- Webber

The reason Brawn are so keen on Rosberg is because of their new partnership with Mercedes, who have bought into the the team. Having a German driver in one of the cars is probably a decision which has been at least partially, if not wholly, influenced by this new partnership.

It's a shame that nowadays money alone rules F1. Well, this is how it goes... :(

Brazil next weekend - can't wait. I hope its done and dusted in Brazil so that its wrapped up at a proper F1 country - we can also then enjoy Abu Dhabi for the new track.

Brazil next weekend - can't wait. I hope its done and dusted in Brazil so that its wrapped up at a proper F1 country - we can also then enjoy Abu Dhabi for the new track.

I would also prefer to be decided in a proper F1 country, but I hope it'll be decided in Abu Dhabi, since I still have some hope for Rubens...

It'll be very hard anyway...

A little bit more news about next season...

US F1 team impresses inspectors

The US F1 team have moved a step closer to making their Formula 1 debut next season after passing a second FIA inspection test.

The sport's governing body visited the Charlotte-based team this week and said it was satisfied with their progress.

FIA deputy president Nick Craw said: "I last visited the team in August and I am impressed with the progress made.

"It has all come together very quickly for the team, and we welcome them into Formula 1 competition in 2010."

US F1 have started building their 2010 car and plan to test it in January ahead of their debut season.

The team has released photographs of their facilities and of the computer designs of the car.

"Our timing is according to plan, with an early November 'roller' and a finished car in time for January 2010 testing," said team boss Ken Anderson.

"Our world headquarters is now complete and fully functional, and the 2010 race car is in the construction phase.

"The creation of a new team in the world's toughest form of motorsport is not easy, but there is no doubt whatsoever we will be on the grid in Bahrain in March 2010."

Anderson has confirmed the car is being built in America with the team recruiting a number of personnel over the last few months.

"Thanks to our in-house design and engineering staff and the aid of our technical partners, for the last 10 to 12 months, the car has gone through thousands of iterations in a virtual environment," he said.

"With this virtual design, we can test and be sure that it's right from structural, design and engineering standpoints, so we don't have to make a part, test it, break it and start again.

"We've taken out a lot of the guesswork and can get close to a race-ready piece right off of the machines, which is happening now."

US F1 are one of four new teams set to take the grid for 2010.

The three other new marques hoping to compete in 2010 are Lotus, Campos GP and Manor.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport...one/8296058.stm

_46517802_usfone226.jpg

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has given Donington Park another fortnight to provide financial guarantees it can host the the British Grand Prix.

Bosses of the Leicestershire circuit have yet to show they have the funding in place to redevelop the venue.

"Donington Ventures Leisure Limited has another two weeks to demonstrate our credentials for hosting the British GP," said Donington boss Simon Gillett.

Silverstone could step in to stage the 2010 GP if Donington's hopes are ended.

Ecclestone said in June: "For sure we'll be back at Silverstone if things don't work out at Donington."

Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd, the company which operates the track, has faced legal and planning problems since being given the rights to stage the race.

Chief executive Gillett was initially given a deadline of the end of September to demonstrate the funding is in place to carry out the planned multi-million pound revamp of the circuit and its facilities.

That deadline was extended by a few days until 3 October, and a Donington spokesman said last Saturday he was confident the Grand Prix would go ahead on 11 July.

Motor racing at Donington ceased in September so work could begin to prepare the venue for next year's race.

Silverstone attracted 250,000 spectators across three days for this year's Grand Prix.

"We remain committed to delivering on the promises we made at the start of this process and have the interests of the sport and its fans at heart," added Gillett, after meeting Ecclestone on Monday.

If we didn't believe Silverstone was method of absolute last resort before, then we certainly should now.