F1 2009 - The Official Thread

Massa is getting better really fast. His doctor said he's conscious and speaking and there are no problems with his eyesight. They also said there are no damages to his brain and he'll be fine but no more F1 this year.

Meanwhile... People are so relieved they're making jokes like this one already.

mario-kart-rubinho.jpg

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Massa wasn't going to come back then I'd certainly agree. As it is, the young driver will be out in the cold again in 2010 when Massa comes back. Besides, the best young drivers will be racing in other codes. There aren't many "spare" drivers around.

Blah this thing is getting to be a joke. I thought they had test drivers and back-ups for a reason.

Oh well ferrari is doing terrible this season so I guess they have to do something.

I guess it doesn't help when the sport is filled with mediocre drivers from top to bottom.

The quality of driver is not what it was in the 90's.

The sport has become to dependent on technology and it has caused a lack in quality in the drivers, put the best 5 drivers right now (Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Massa and Webber) against Hill, Schumacher, Hakkinen, Coulthard and Villeneuve at their prime in the 90's, they would lose every time on a level playing field.

Blah this thing is getting to be a joke. I thought they had test drivers and back-ups for a reason.

Oh well ferrari is doing terrible this season so I guess they have to do something.

I tend to agree with you, Faster. Schumi brings the spotlight of interest back to Ferrari. They havent been there this season. But what other advantage will Ferrari have with Schumi? I dont see anyone. He is not used to the car, he cant help the teammate to win the championship, because Räikönen is no contender. Schumi has retired three years ago. Much has changed. You cant turn back the years. It´s like Geoff Hurst is playing again for England. ;)

The quality of driver is not what it was in the 90's.

The sport has become to dependent on technology and it has caused a lack in quality in the drivers, put the best 5 drivers right now (Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Massa and Webber) against Hill, Schumacher, Hakkinen, Coulthard and Villeneuve at their prime in the 90's, they would lose every time on a level playing field.

It has become too dependent on technology, but the argument that the drivers are any less talented doesn't hold true. I'd put most of those current drivers ahead of Coulthard and certainly ahead of Villeneuve, probably on a par with Hill and Hakkinen and some would give Schumacher a good race too. Alonso beat Schumi to the title twice don't forget, and Hamilton matched the Spaniard in his debut season. Both are as good as anyone we saw in the 90s, with perhaps the exception of Senna.

I pretty much agree with Rob's assessment on this one. Alonso and Hamilton are two of the best drivers ever, Raikonnen on a good day can be up there too. And Massa and Webber are at least as strong as Villeneuve and Coulthard.

• 2 weeks later...

What a shame. I was looking forward to seeing how he coped, how Kimi coped with being his teammate for a while, and how other drivers race against him.

I wouldn't believe anyone who tells me they are more excited about seeing Badoer in the Ferrari than Schumacher returning, even if they think it is the right outcome.

I was excited about Schumii, and am now disappointed. However, I'm genuinely thrilled for Badoer. 10 years he's been there and finally he gets to race in a ferrari - practically like playing for your national team as an Italian. Well done to him - hope he gets a podium this season. He deserves it. Lets not forget he is the only F1 driver to perform in an Olympics too!

• 2 weeks later...

McLaren lock out the front row. Very easy Q3 for Hamilton, it's like we're back in 2008! Kovailinen was looking sharp too in what is obviously a much improved car.

You can see why Ferrari were relectant to pick Badoa though; 1.5 seconds slower than the next car and 3 seconds slower than his team mate!! That's light years in F1 terms!! Really poor performance, though of course he hasn't had the opportunity to test the car. And for the first time in F1 history, a Ferrari qualifies last.

I disagree, Alguersuari and Grosjean were both thrown in at the deep end as well, and neither flopped as badly as Luca has. Surely Ferrari can't put a man this slow in a car at Spa?! I don't blame Badoa for this, because surely Ferrari knew he didn't have the pace. The head of Ferrari has made a poor decision which embarrasses his team and LB in my opinion.

There hasn't been one outstanding driver this season; I'll agree with that. It's been very close which makes it intruiging.

Football teams win leagues by single points and runners win races by tenths of a second. That doesn't mean they're any less deserving of their titles than the Usain Bolts of this world who win by unfathomable margins. Whoever wins the WDC will deserve it - even if it's only by a point.

What's happened to Brawn and Button? Well, the other teams have caught them up technically to a large extent, but that alone doesn't explain Button's loss of form. It's a weird one; maybe he's lost his confidence a bit, or maybe he's less happy with the car than he was. I said earlier in the season that Button is the sort of driver who, when in the best car, will win consistently because he's a fantastic driver who rarely makes mistakes. He's not in the best car anymore and, as I also said earlier in the season, he's not as good a racer as the likes of Hamilton and Alonso who will always drive on the ragged edge and don't mind taking risks to win. I obviously want to see him win the WDC and he will be a deserving winner if he does it, but he's not making it easy for himself.

Archived