Canadian Composer Foster Excluded From 2010

SkiFreak

From CTV BC:

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/C...ishColumbiaHome

Canadian composer Foster excluded from 2010

Updated: Tue Nov. 25 2008 11:18:39

The Canadian Press

Multiple Grammy award-winning music producer and Victoria, B.C. native David Foster won't be composing the music for the 2010 Olympic Games.

Foster, who has produced work for music heavyweights Whitney Houston and Celine Dion, says he has not been approached by the Vancouver Olympic Organizing Committee (VANOC).

He says that with just over a year before the Games begin, it's probably too late now.

Of Foster's 15 Grammy awards, three were for producer of the year and he says asking for his help "seems like a no-brainer."

But Foster says there is plenty of other Canadian talent to choose from and he believes those making the decisions may have some other plan.

Foster wrote the theme for the 1988 Calgary Olympics and co-wrote `The Power of the Dream,' the official song of the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia.

The award winner was a keyboardist for the pop group Skylark during the 1970's. He has produced debut albums for Josh Groban and Canadian crooner Michael Buble under his record label, 143 records.

Foster's home life was also featured in a Fox network reality show called The Princes of Malibu, in which he tries to force his two spoiled stepsons to earn their own way.

Hmm, no Cirque, no Foster... well then that leaves Celine Dion! :o:rolleyes:

Yeah, that is a misleading word. He simply wasn't picked. Excluded implies that he was barred or denied entry when requested. I guess that means that Sudan has excluded me because I've never been there and never expressed a desire to go there.

I am not really surprised David Foster was not approached on one hand simply because he has done so much including the last Canadian Winter Olympics.

He takes the right attitude that there is plenty of Talent in Canada but I personally can't think of anyone in Canada with that vein of music that is typical Olympics. Could it be up to a Bob Rock , Brian Adams or Mutt Lange ? I can't see it.

Basically if you are looking to Celine Dion you are looking at David Foster producing and co writing for the most part. Maybe with a Celine Dion we will have a Jim Steinman production as he did pen a song for her. It would be interesting to have BAT OUT OF HELL Jim Steinman doing IOC theme music for the 2010 games.

Steinman certainly has a big sound based around the Piano like Foster but his work takes influence from Bruce Springsteen and the E street band .

People know Foster Too well for his pop works but Foster also produced a great hard driving rock album in the 1980's by the San Francisco group "the Tubes" . The Albums was called "The completion backwards principle" . IF you didn't know Foster produced you would never guess by listening to it as it is as far from Foster as you can get. His role at that time was not as dominate as if would become later on when he was the Go to Producer.

Maybe it is time for a Rick Ruben or the Dust Brothers to really radical change the musical landscape of the Games. Somehow Chris Cornell, Audioslave and Neil Diamond come to mind in a very twisted youth culture approach. All artists Ruben has produced.

jim jones

What do you mean by 'music'? the Theme music or the official song?

I don't quite remember the official song, but the theme music (played during medal ceremonies and the lighting of the Olympic flame) was just awful.

I also thought the whole "circus" thing, especially the whacky announcer voices during the ceremonies, were quite distracting and perhaps weren't the best idea. It didn't work at all.

With Atkins on board, I really do hope the 2010 ceremonies (and music) will have the same grace and quality as Sydney 2000.

I wonder if we will see a re-appearance of Chong Lim. He is obviously Australian, but he is a favourite of David Atkins and has been featured heavily in both the Sydney and Doha ceremonies.

He did the dream like *Nature* composition in Sydney, aswell as the dramatic cauldron lighting sequence in Doha.

In this increasingly international world of ceremonies, the jobs arent left for the host nation alone.

Then what's the point of having it in Canada?

I agree with you Kendegra . If this was dominated by American Idol , Eurovision Song contestants and something as popular from Asia (The continent not the Prog Rock Band of the 1980s) it would not be a reflection of the host country that pays the Bills on this show. Ultimately it should be about the host country welcoming the world to the games for the opening and thanking the Athletes and the World for watching for the closing. To spend billions on the games without promoting what the country is would not be good.

I have no problem with artists from outside Canada taking part . It is if it becomes dominated by the outside world, which the Birghtman- Domingo piece certainly did not do at Beijing 2008, then like Kendegra says "what the point of having it in Canada?"

Sarah Brightman and Placido Domingo I thought were great for Beijing 2008. They were fantastic even thou neither artist I am a fan of . They fit the Olympics Bill.

Who knows Canadian International Duets could be interesting . Celine Dion and Placido Domingo , Chris Cornell and Nickelback , Byran Adams and Coldplay . those may be odd pairings but those are just off the top of my head.

A Western Canadian Olympics will also most likely have the Cliche Country and Western music section LOL.

jim jones

What's the deal with the 'First Nations'? Was watching a story on 60 Minutes the other night, about online, off-shore gambling, and with the partcular case being featured, it mentioned that the servers used were on 'sovereign land' of one of theFirst nations in Canada, the Kahalake (or something like that) tribe or something. I mean are these tribal lands REALLY 'Independent' nations -- in that say, maybe they could allow Chavez of Venezuela or China to install missiles there? (Not that that would ever happen...but is it within their rights to do so?)