South Africa 2009

Rafa

The pitch is HORRIBLE!!! :blink:

Why don't they water it before the matches??? The ball doesn't run very well with that dry pitch!! In some zones it was coloured green because it was almost YELLOW!! :angry:

Will we play next year in such bad stadiums???

And by the way, that trumpets are ANNOYING!!!! <_<

PS. Go Spain!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Average attendances

1995 Saudi Arabia 20,625

1997 Saudi Arabia 20,844

1999 Mexico 60,625

2001 Korea/Japan 34,824

2003 France 30,731

2005 Germany 37,694

2009 South Africa 36,444 (After 8 matches)

Rob, i dont agree with your comparison. Barsley has beaten much stronger teams on the way to the FA-final. So they deserve the UEFA Cup-spot. But NZL has beaten Fiji or Tonga! Wow! I guess even Andorra, Lichtenstein or the Faroe Islands are better teams.

No, I dont want to see them and I think they are not improving their game by getting beaten 5:0.

I think you just contradicted yourself there. How on earth is NZ soccer expected to improve when all they have ot play against is Fiji and Tonga? The Confed cup allows the NZ team to be exposed to world class football. I understand where your coming from, I mean I'm not really interested in watching NZ thrash Germany 200-0 in rugby but It's good for lesser experienced funded teams have there chance.

Soccer has 0 to nothing in terms of support at the local level in NZ, there just isnt enough public interest in the game, it will always be overshadowed by domestic rubgy but kiwis do seem to care on a national level. People in NZ are interested in seeing NZ play Spain, Italy, Brazil etc. That can only be good for the game.

So the USA beat Spain! What a shock. Any of our American posters tell us what the coverage of the win has been, and whether the final will be a big event?

Well, highlights of the game lead off SportsCenter, which is the most watched sports show in the country. But ESPN, which airs SportsCenter, has also aired all of the Confederations Cup games, so it's a little bit of synergy as well. ESPN will hype up the final as best they can.

Interesting that 3 of the finalist countries in this year's COnfederations Cup are also 3 of the finalists for the 2016 SOG race. Does this portend the race in October? I mean it looks like Tokyo/the Japanese are totally out of the running. So based on the Confed Cup performance, I think this is how the October 2016 race is going to go:

1st round - Tokyo out

2nd round - Madrid out

Finals between Chicago and Rio...as will be played on Sunday!!

Well, highlights of the game lead off SportsCenter, which is the most watched sports show in the country. But ESPN, which airs SportsCenter, has also aired all of the Confederations Cup games, so it's a little bit of synergy as well. ESPN will hype up the final as best they can.

Then... WELCOME RIO 2016! WE WILL GO TO IPANEMA!! ;)

'Cause the USA won't win on Sunday!! Hahahaha

Spanish star wants vuvuzelas banned, Spanish fans want Africans banned

SOWETO.

Just a day after Spanish football star Xabi Alonso called on FIFA to ban vuvuzela horns, Spanish fans have called on the football body to ban Africans. "They are just so black," said fan Enrique de Torquemada. "And there are so many of them here in Africa. It is very upsetting." Meanwhile South Africans have asked the Spanish to stop lisping.

Alonso was widely quoted this week referring to vuvuzelas as an "annoyance" that should be banned.

However, FIFA godfather Sepp Blatter has defended the horns.

"South African football is all about noise, excitement, shouting and enjoyment," he said. "And sometimes goals. But mostly just noise."

Alonso's South African hosts say they are taking the star's complaints seriously, despite "Xabi" meaning "doos" in the ancient San language.

"Obviously as a footballer Mr Alonso is a very unique person," said Confederations Cup local organizer Sonnyboy Laduma. "I mean, it's not everyone who has a Grade 9 education, is unemployable after 35, and who spends hours every day training to kick an inflated sack in to a net, who then tries to dictate the culture of another continent."

However, Laduma confirmed that Alonso was not alone in feeling that Africa needed to change to suit Spanish tastes.

He said that thousands of Spanish supporters had signed a petition asking FIFA to ban not only vuvuzelas but Africans as well.

"Apparently when they bought their airline tickets nobody told them that Africa is full of Africans," explained Laduma.

According to fan Ignacio Tortilla, the Confederations Cup has been an "ordeal".

"Wherever you look it's just Africans," he said. "Please don't get me wrong, I'm not a racist, but do they really have to be so aggressive with all the singing and smiling and hand-shaking?"

Florida de Porpoise, a retired Jew-bater from Barcelona, said he would have no problem with Africans "if they only tried to be more European".

"We're not asking for a lot," said de Porpoise. "Just perhaps a little hair relaxant, some cigarettes, and an overwhelming sense of the futility of hope."

Meanwhile, a delegation of South Africans has asked visiting Spaniards to stop lisping.

"For God's sake, English is our sixth language and we can still say 's'," said Jumpstart Moloi, who led the delegation to the Spanish embassy this morning.

"It's not Nelthon Mandela, okay? It's Nelson. Nelssssson."

He also appealed to Spaniards to "think long and hard" before asking locals for directions to Thanton Thquare and the thocker thtadium at Thocker Thity.

"Spanish is just such a freaking ugly language," said Moloi. "It's all just 'eth eth eth eth'. FIFA should do something."

Archived