Your Predictions

But the south american countries (Argentina, Venezuela, Brazil, Chile, etc) will vote for sure for Madrid. :)

Listen up 5 South American votes.  Another brilliant prognostication from your future 22-year-old Supreme Commander for the IOC and FIFA.  He knows how you will vote.  Did you spill the beans?  Commander Mikel, I hope you get assigned to Puerto Rico next year.  BTW, what if we send in all your posts here to the Spanish Ministry?  Will that accelerate your promotion, you think?   :D

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But the south american countries (Argentina, Venezuela, Brazil, Chile, etc) will vote for sure for Madrid. :)

Listen up 5 South American votes.  Another brilliant prognostication from your future 22-year-old Supreme Commander for the IOC and FIFA.  He knows how you will vote.  Did you spill the beans?  Commander Mikel, I hope you get assigned to Puerto Rico next year.  BTW, what if we send in all your posts here to the Spanish Ministry?  Will that accelerate your promotion, you think?   :D

Why don't you get lost in your "marvellous" city, little child?? :o  :laugh:

Is it just me, or are most of the London Bid supporters on here prediciting Paris?

Ah, British pessimism.

I have learnt through bitter experience that if I say the team or person that I want to win is going to win, more often than not they don't.

Long live British pessimism, as long as it delivers the desired result.

How come no one has brought up the subject of security and its cost being probably the number one issue for a prospective city being able to host the Games. The cost for security rose in Sydney to $700million and in Athens to $1.5billion (that's almost 75% of the IOC budget)...and the cost for security ain't going down folks. And who has already spent over a billion dollars on Emergency Response. First responders in NYC are already trained and the City already has a management response system in place and is considered the securest city in the world? I don't see any city, other than NYC, hosting a Games without leaving an enormous debt legacy to their citizenry. Do the math. What's left after you take out the cost of security? Precious little! And the IOC knows it. On that main issue alone it will be awarded to NYC

How come no one has brought up the subject of security and its cost being probably the number one issue for a prospective city being able to host the Games. The cost for security rose in Sydney to $700million and in Athens to $1.5billion (that's almost 75% of the IOC budget)...and the cost for security ain't going down folks. And who has already spent over a billion dollars on Emergency Response. First responders in NYC are already trained and the City already has a management response system in place and is considered the securest city in the world? I don't see any city, other than NYC, hosting a Games without leaving an enormous debt legacy to their citizenry. Do the math. What's left after you take out the cost of security? Precious little! And the IOC knows it. On that main issue alone it will be awarded to NYC

London has been the victim of terrorist attacks for years before 9/11 took place in NYC. The British security forces are therefore amongst the best in the world which is why they were asked to help in Athens 2004. Our plan consists of a centralised Olympic Park with the village within its boundary  and this will make the games much more secure compared with a plan where athletes are shuttled around in buses between the village and their venues. It should also keep the security costs down.

You're really clutching at straws and/or living in la-la land if ou believe NYC will be awarded 2012 just because it has good security!

BTW it's maths not math. Please learn to speak English proper like what we do in Ingerland.  :P  j/k

Well, i dont know if you have learnt that ETA put yesterday a bomb in the parking of the stadium "LA PEINETA" in Madrid. They obviously wanted to hurt the possibilities of Madrid, and they have really done it. As a spanish, its frustrating how such miserable "people" can destroy the dream of many of us, a dream Madrid and the whole Spain has fought for... all the effort, all the work done isn't worth right now.

Security is something very very important in such a big event, and although I know that Madrid would have many measures of security for that event, it's clear that Madrid is right now more likely to suffer an attack in order to generate a caos in the organization (ETA wouldnt dare to kill anyone as they are just a group of cowards who know that in that case it would be their end...), so if i were a member of the IOC i would vote for another city, its something logical.

Then, as our dream has been destroyed, my best wishes for the other cities... Come on London, Paris, New York and Moscu good luck.

Well, i dont know if you have learnt that ETA put yesterday a bomb in the parking of the stadium "LA PEINETA" in Madrid. They obviously wanted to hurt the possibilities of Madrid, and they have really done it. As a spanish, its frustrating how such miserable "people" can destroy the dream of many of us, a dream Madrid and the whole Spain has fought for... all the effort, all the work done isn't worth right now.

Security is something very very important in such a big event, and although I know that Madrid would have many measures of security for that event, it's clear that Madrid is right now more likely to suffer an attack in order to generate a caos in the organization (ETA wouldnt dare to kill anyone as they are just a group of cowards who know that in that case it would be their end...), so if i were a member of the IOC i would vote for another city, its something logical.

Then, as our dream has been destroyed, my best wishes for the other cities... Come on London, Paris, New York and Moscu good luck.

Come on, Fran! Ánimo, tío. That is exactly what they look for. We can give up the fight and say "they are stronger than us", because they aren't. And, by the way, ETA will be more than defeated in 2012. They just make some noise in order to make the world remember that they're still alive. It's a pathetic way to say "hello, we are here, listen to us".

Be strong and keep on supporting Madrid bid, my friend!

Come on, Fran! Ánimo, tío. That is exactly what they look for. We can give up the fight and say "they are stronger than us", because they aren't. And, by the way, ETA will be more than defeated in 2012. They just make some noise in order to make the world remember that they're still alive. It's a pathetic way to say "hello, we are here, listen to us".

I agree. Madrid isn't one of my favourite bids but I'd hate to see it destroyed in this way. You know you've got a good project and it ain't over till the fat lady (Mr Rogge) sings.

A Centralized Emergency Response System costs an easy billion dollars to put in place. Unfortunately, after 9/11, NYC spent that kind of money with Federal, State and Local government funding. That sort of security expenditure has not been earmarked within the IOC budget. So...it has to come from the governments hosting the Games and paid back through taxes by their citizens. New Yorkers are doing that right now. NYC is the only candidate city that can host a financially successful Games because they do not have to factor in a billion dollar expense into their final accounting calculations whereas the other cities do. See where I'm going?

BTW: In the USA we say "do the math" instead of "do the maths" because it sounds easier phonetically. We know it is incorrect but what the hell. By the way, I'm English and went to a very good Grammar School in the UK...but thanks for the grammar lesson

BTW: In the USA we say "do the math" instead of "do the maths" because it sounds easier phonetically. We know it is incorrect but what the hell. By the way, I'm English and went to a very good Grammar School in the UK...but thanks for the grammar lesson

I know... everybody's giving grammar lessons all of a sudden.  Do the 'maths' sounds absolutely awkward.

I'm sure some are well-intentioned and some are petty.  But what the heck, Wan Wuhrld!  Wan Dreem   :wwww:

I agree. Madrid isn't one of my favourite bids but I'd hate to see it destroyed in this way. You know you've got a good project and it ain't over till the fat lady (Mr Rogge) sings.

Thanks, anyway i feel proud, i think Madrid has a very good project able to introduce and propose things such as using energies renovables, leaving the cars aside and giving a wide offert in public transport, ... adding also that the airport would be able to register 70 000 000 passengers a year by 2012...

GOOD LUCK!

Richmendes (how are you related to Sam Mendes?), the only reason nobody has really discussed the price tag of security is that  regardless of which city is chosen -- that's a given.  If the EU and NATO came to the aid of cash-strapped Athens to provide the security blanket necessary to cover the Games, then funds and technology will be found to provide the greatest security whichever city is picked.  

What's truly of more concern  is the issue of home-grown terrorism, of which Moscow has the Chechnyan problem and Madrid has ETA.  And it is no coincidence that these 2 will fall by the wayside one-two in the first rounds of voting.  

Besides, logos and ceremonies are more important here.  Who cares if they don't lock the Village gates at night?  So long as there is a beautfiul logo that all true-blue GB'ders gush over and admire?   :wwww:

And it is no coincidence that these 2 will fall by the wayside one-two in the first rounds of voting.

Uhm, have you read in this thread the same posts than me?? Because the post that I have read says that Moscow, if not NYC, will fall in the first round, and then in the second round NYC if not Moscow will fall also... so... what are you saying, abuelo??

And it is no coincidence that these 2 will fall by the wayside one-two in the first rounds of voting.

Uhm, have you read in this thread the same posts than me?? Because the post that I have read says that Moscow, if not NYC, will fall in the first round, and then in the second round NYC if not Moscow will fall also... so... what are you saying, abuelo??

Uh-huh?   :rolleyes:

OK, my turn...

1 - New York

2 - 2 rounds

3 - Paris

Its like playing the lottery.

Baron, this is an example, and I will tell you something before you say to me that: Kendegra isn't a supporter of Madrid.

A Centralized Emergency Response System costs an easy billion dollars to put in place. Unfortunately, after 9/11, NYC spent that kind of money with Federal, State and Local government funding. That sort of security expenditure has not been earmarked within the IOC budget. So...it has to come from the governments hosting the Games and paid back through taxes by their citizens. New Yorkers are doing that right now. NYC is the only candidate city that can host a financially successful Games because they do not have to factor in a billion dollar expense into their final accounting calculations whereas the other cities do. See where I'm going?

You might be English and have gone to a good grammar school but it is clear you have not kept up with security issues or world affairs outside of New York or read Roberts post.

As he said we have lots of experience in anti terrorism and Centralized Emergency Response thanks to the IRA and other terrorist organisations.

We have many systems in place that predate 9/11 including things like the city being ring fenced with security cameras that automatically check the licence plate of every vehicle entering the city, checking them against a central database of stolen and other suspect vehicles.

There would be no strain on the monetary system as we already have the systems in place to deal with these events. The authorities are constantly doing full scale drills now to make sure that they coordinate properly in the event of a catastrophe.

New York is not the only city capable of hosting the games because of security issues. I can not speak for the other cities but London is as prepared as any city could be.

DO THE MATH richmendes

Baron-Pierre IV:

My grandfather's name was Sam but other than him, I don't know any other Sam Mendes.

Whilst I agree that the price for security is a given, the tag price is definitely not. That's my point. The tag price for NYC will be miniscule in comparison to the other cities and we're not just talking about the cost of troops from NATO or the EU or anywhere else coming to the rescue. A city-wide, centralized, first response, security management system costs a cool billion and years to implement. We're not just talking about Olympic Village security anymore. That changed after Atlanta. We're talking about city-wide security, which was why the price tag for Sydney went up to $700 million. After 9/11 the price tag more than doubled. And my point is, is that NYC has already done what is necessary to secure its city from any terrorist attack, has spent the money, has a first response management system in place, has already had first responders trained and at the ready. You see, the money doesn't have to come out of the IOC budget. Paris, London, Madrid have in no way spent anything like what is necessary to protect their cities from a potential terrorist attack simply because they were not attacked as NYC was on 9/11 and have had no reason to spend the money to prevent another such attack. In 1984, Los Angeles saved the Olympic Movement from extinction by introducing corporate sponsorship. NYC will save the Olympics again in 2012 because no one else can financially afford the incumbent security costs to host the event without leaving a debt legacy.

Baron-Pierre IV:

My grandfather's name was Sam but other than him, I don't know any other Sam Mendes.

Whilst I agree that the price for security is a given, the tag price is definitely not. That's my point. The tag price for NYC will be miniscule in comparison to the other cities and we're not just talking about the cost of troops from NATO or the EU or anywhere else coming to the rescue. A city-wide, centralized, first response, security management system costs a cool billion and years to implement. We're not just talking about Olympic Village security anymore. That changed after Atlanta. We're talking about city-wide security, which was why the price tag for Sydney went up to $700 million. After 9/11 the price tag more than doubled. And my point is, is that NYC has already done what is necessary to secure its city from any terrorist attack, has spent the money, has a first response management system in place, has already had first responders trained and at the ready. You see, the money doesn't have to come out of the IOC budget. Paris, London, Madrid have in no way spent anything like what is necessary to protect their cities from a potential terrorist attack simply because they were not attacked as NYC was on 9/11 and have had no reason to spend the money to prevent another such attack. In 1984, Los Angeles saved the Olympic Movement from extinction by introducing corporate sponsorship. NYC will save the Olympics again in 2012 because no one else can financially afford the incumbent security costs to host the event without leaving a debt legacy.

Rich, I hope you're right.

[Off-topic:  Sam Mendes is the director of "American Beauty" and also did the highly acclaimed revival of "Cabaret" in New York over 2 years ago.  He's Kate Winslet's ("Titanic") husband, he's also English, and like Alfred Molina; of Spanish roots.]

Good point with the IRA, first response security systems pre-9/11. I accept that and would therefore change my previous statement to exclude London from Paris and Madrid, but not a whole lot. Pre-9/11 security systems ain't adequate anymore and London would definitely have to spend alot more money (but less than Paris and Madrid) to get to where NYC is. The IRA struck anywhere in the UK, not just in London. Specificity and immediacy is the difference. London would still have to spend alot of money to protect their city. They do not have a centralized, city-wide, first response, international, terrorist, city-emergency management system in place...but admittedly they are much better placed than the other two.

As a Brit, I would be equally as happy if London gets the Games... I just don't think they will!

eyyy new yorkers what you way about this?

The accounts(bills) go out for Feliciano Mayoral " after the contacts supported with the members of the COI in Almeria

The candidacy of Madrid 2012 exceeds optimism and more, after the good reception of the Games of the Mediterranean of Almeria. For the managing director of the protecto of Madrid, Feliciano Mayoral, " the accounts(bills) go out for him " in order that the capital could be the winner in the voting of July 6 in Singapore. Coach driver has " tried(meant) to scratch the last votes " in the contacts that it(he,she) has supported in the Andalusian city with 21 members of the COI displeased to the appointment.

The person in charge of the candidacy of Madrid, who this Saturday will leave Almeria after being present on Friday night at the inauguration of the Mediterranean Games, indicated that during the days that the equipment(team) of Madrid has remained in the Andalusian city 2012 it(he,she) has supported contacts of constant form with the members of the Olympian(Olympic) International Committee (COI) who are present. " We have tried to scratch the last votes and to obtain the possible maximums to enter with guarantees the first rounds and to come to the final straight line with the sufficient votes to win, though it is a secret voting, with very independent and very autonomous persons. But the accounts(bills) go out for me and I believe that Madrid will be at the end of the voting with many possibilities of winning ", it(he,she) indicated.

Coach driver, who remembered(reminded) the numerous adhesions that Madrid has received with 60.000 volunteers and 91 per cent of popular support since(as,like) demonstrated the movement of the giant flag of the candidacy last June 5, affirmed that the Mediterranean ones of Almeria " can be a bonus " added for the capital. " What Almeria can do for Madrid is great. We are to 10 days there are more than 20 members of the included COI his(her,your) president and be wanted or Almeria is not going to be identified by Madrid and Olympic Games by Mediterranean Games. What can contribute Almeria is a bonus to reach the goal of July 6 and his(her,your) contribution to Madrid can be definitive in a final straight line ", it(he,she) appeared.

FROM MADRID TO HEAVEN....... VIVA MADRID 2012 :grinning:  :grinning:

It'll be between London and Paris for sure, a photo finish race between these two bids.

1st round:

1) London/Paris

2) Paris/London/NYC

3) NYC/Madrid

4) Madrid/NYC/Moscow

5) Moscow/Madrid - one could be ELIMINATED

2nd round:

1) London/Paris

2) Paris/London/NYC

3) NYC/Madrid

4) NYC/Madrid - one could be ELIMINATED

3rd round:

1) London/Paris - WINNER decided in 3rd round?

2) Paris/London/NYC

3) NYC - ELIMINATED?

4th round:

1) London/Paris - WINNER decided

2) Paris/London/NYC

NYC could still be in because of the cancelling out theory between Europe and North America as those European countries who are going for 2014, 2016......and those who have lost 2012 will want the Games out of Europe so their bid has a better chance. NYC may be in but I don't think it is enough to win 2012, at tops second place.

Archived