Your Predictions

One more prediciton: if New York loses, I would imagine the mainstream media will lead the charge for the U.S. to pull out of the Olympic movement entirely. And if they win, we'll never hear the end of the "greatest city and country in the world" myth. That is one pet peeve about being American: we are bad losers, and even worse winners.

I can't see any move to have the USA leave the Olympic Movement based on one failed bid by a city making its first bid ever to the IOC against four other strong candidates.  Only one city can win and I think they can tolerate losing out on hosting rights every now and then, especially in such a packed field.

Detroit lost many times.  LA lost twice before getting 1984 handed to them.  Denver won and then pulled out.  Anchorage and Salt Lake both suffered defeats in 3 bids to host all of the WOG's in the 1990's.

But the USA has hosted more Olympic Games than any other nation.  And no matter who hosts, the US will benefit from TV ratings, marketing opportunities, and medals galore.

Win or lose this vote, the USA will succeed in 2012.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One more prediciton: if New York loses, I would imagine the mainstream media will lead the charge for the U.S. to pull out of the Olympic movement entirely. And if they win, we'll never hear the end of the "greatest city and country in the world" myth. That is one pet peeve about being American: we are bad losers, and even worse winners.

I can't see any move to have the USA leave the Olympic Movement based on one failed bid by a city making its first bid ever to the IOC against four other strong candidates.  Only one city can win and I think they can tolerate losing out on hosting rights every now and then, especially in such a packed field.

Detroit lost many times.  LA lost twice before getting 1984 handed to them.  Denver won and then pulled out.  Anchorage and Salt Lake both suffered defeats in 3 bids to host all of the WOG's in the 1990's.

But the USA has hosted more Olympic Games than any other nation.  And no matter who hosts, the US will benefit from TV ratings, marketing opportunities, and medals galore.

Win or lose this vote, the USA will succeed in 2012.

I too can't see the motivation for the so-called 'mainstream media' (in that I assume this relates to the TV free to air networks, major cable networks, public broadcasters, radio networks and newspaper publishers such as Rupert Murdoch), calling for the USOC to pull out of the Olympics, just because NYC could lose out in 2012? How does NBC see it; will they lose megabucks on their broadcast of 2012 because their audiences in LA, Chicago or wherever can't see a home games? Will NPR authorize strident editorial broadcasts against the IOC and the USOC because Paris or London or whoever beats out NYC? Surely the American media is cosmopolitan enough to see the reasons why each bid could win or lose, and aside from parochial journalistic hype in NYC itself, will the whole nation be brought to its knees emotionally if NYC doesn't get 2012. We're not talking about the reaction in Athens when Atlanta won the 1996 games, with rioting on the streets etc. If even the significant minority of NYC people aren't too concerned about how well the 2012 bid goes, why would the media in general or indeed the rest of the US (which is ultimately the market for the mainstream media), try and generate some kind of anti IOC/USOC fervour?

On the other hand, I could readily see some very stinging attacks made on those involved with the bid and the stadium decision from NYC's media, both commercial and public.

I must comment on this.  Good job on the quintilingual work but your conclusion re the US and its people is just tres bizarre.   :rolleyes:

Speak for yourself.

My prediction is that Paris should win, though I would be fine with a London, Madrid or even Moscow bid, and don't tell me they have no chance because didn't most of you say the same thing about Pyongchang Korea for the 2010 Winter Games? They nearly won it, so writing anyone off is just plain dumb.

Mi predicción es que París debe ganar, aunque sería fino con un Londres, Oferta de Madrid o aún de Moscú, ¿y no me los dice no tener ninguna ocasión porque no lo hicieron la

mayoría de usted opinión la misma cosa sobre Pyongchang Corea para

los 2010 juegos del invierno? Lo ganaron casi, tan escribir cualquier persona apagado es apenas mudo llano.

Un más prediciton: si Nueva York pierde, Me imaginaría que los medios de corriente conducirán la carga para

el U.S. para sacarse del movimiento olímpico enteramente. Y si ganan, nunca oiremos el final la "ciudad y el país más grandes en del mito

del mundo". Ése es un animal doméstico peeve sobre ser americano: somos malos perdedores, e incluso ganadores peores.

Мой прогноз что paris должен выиграть, хотя я был бы точн с london, Заявка madrid or even moscow, и не говорю я их не иметь никакой шанс потому что не сделала большой

часть из вас мнение такая же вещь о Pyongchang Корее для

2010 игр зимы? Они близко выиграли его, так писать любое как раз обыкновенные толком тупыми.

Одно больше prediciton: если N6h Иорк теряет, то Я представил бы mainstream средства ведут обязанность для у.С. pull out олимпийского движения вс. И если они выигрывают, то, мы никогда не будем слышать конец "большие город и страна в мифа

мире". То одно peeve любимчика о быть американским: мы будем плохими losers, и даже более плохие winners.

Ma prévision est que Paris devrait gagner, bien que j'aille bien avec Londres, Offre de Madrid ou même de Moscou, et est-ce que ne me les dit pas n'avoir aucune chance parce que pas

la plupart d'entre vous parole la même chose au sujet de Pyongchang

Corée pour les 2010 jeux d'hiver ? Ils l'ont presque gagné, ainsi l'inscription de n'importe qui est éteinte juste sourde-muette

plat.

Un plus de prediciton : si New York perd, J'imaginerais que les médias traditionnels mèneront la charge pour

le U.S. pour retirer du mouvement olympique entièrement. Et s'ils gagnent, nous n'entendrons jamais la fin la "plus grands ville et pays du mythe

dans monde". C'est un animal de compagnie irritent au sujet d'être américain : nous sommes mauvais perdants, et encore de plus mauvais gagnants.

If USA with China Australia and Russia retire from the IOC it would be a benediction for the sports,no dopping.

I must comment on this.  Good job on the quintilingual work but your conclusion re the US and its people is just tres bizarre.   :rolleyes:

Speak for yourself.

Just by his GBName...LinkParkFan....I don't take him seriously...

As for the point itself...I think outside of New York, NBC, the Olympic Family, and the USOC that it's a mute point. It's not exactly going to change if they're going to watch anyways.

But this whole "We have to have the Games bullcrap is a farce...at least until say..2016-2018. The USOC, NBC, and North American Sponsers can't be complaining with the fact mention because of location Vancouver does present some they've got the 2010 Games in the Pacific Time Zone, where the key events will be placed in Primetime Television. Not to sort of home ice advantage...much like Salt Lake did to the Canadians in 2002.

Inside New York I think the majority of the blame gets placed on NYC2012.

Though I'm sure the French, and the Democrats would love to pin the French victory on George W. Bush. ...terrorists.

Can we please stop with the childish name calling and derogatory comments? It's really getting on my nerves. I know I know, you'll tell me to you know what off simply because I'm the most hated person on earth (I wear glasses, need I say more?), and because I want an end to the childish behaviour. Fact is, this is supposed to be a civil conversation and debate. Please, just show at least a little respect for one another.

this is just my opinion

its too late for new york too many last minute decisions wont impress and convinced the undecided IOc members and the heavy european vote wills sway things in paris and londons favour..

i still think london will get great backing in the form of actual votes from the oceania commonwealth and upon new york dropping out i see those votes going to london, however i dont think london will lead in round one of voting

i still dont see madrid as a threat, the fact that they have a great technical bid doesnt realyl boost them that much the mre votes they receive could only benefit london if the alleged allians is true, and i dont see over 50 IOC members voting for madrid in a final two showdow against either paris or londond that would just be a joke, although some keep referring to the evalutation report im sure ive read more of it than some ioc members, i dont think some madrid supporters realise that it cant win goign up against london or paris (again this is jusy paris has everything to lose,

as for moscow, well who knows really....maybe a handful of votes,

Time for a final day of predicting your choice for the winner. For me, I think it will be Paris, but I'll choose London as an alternate.

It's going to be really close between London and Paris. I have this feeling that London will win. But if there is to be an upset, I think New York will come up and win this thing in the end. I hope London wins!

this is just my opinion

its too late for new york too many last minute decisions wont impress and convinced the undecided IOc members and the heavy european vote wills sway things in paris and londons favour..

i still think london will get great backing in the form of actual votes from the oceania commonwealth and upon new york dropping out i see those votes going to london, however i dont think london will lead in round one of voting

i still dont see madrid as a threat, the fact that they have a great technical bid doesnt realyl boost them that much the mre votes they receive could only benefit london if the alleged allians is true, and i dont see over 50 IOC members voting for madrid in a final two showdow against either paris or londond that would just be a joke, although some keep referring to the evalutation report im sure ive read more of it than some ioc members, i dont think some madrid supporters realise that it cant win goign up against london or paris (again this is jusy paris has everything to lose,

as for moscow, well who knows really....maybe a handful of votes,

Agreed - all the way. And then, of course, London (not 'Londres' wherever the hell that is - I mean, we don't spell 'Paris' any differently, so why do they insist on spelling London incorrectly! It's a NAME - that means 'endings' don't apply. Mind you, we do call Firenze 'Florence' and Venezia 'Venice' - so maybe it's not all one-way multilingual traffic. But 'Florence' and 'Venice' sound so nice...) will win.

If not, then good luck to the Parisians. They deserve this one (after us, of course  :;): )

Madrid 2012 will win.

Why?

First Olympic games hold im Madrid.

Most compact bid (Most observer agree)

Ecological (No private car games + Greenpeace support)

Highest support quote (91%)

Low cost bid

Overall, Olympic plans are well integrated into the LONG TERM developement of the city (No Castles in the air - No virtual bid)

Best transport system

Madrid is the only city of the bigger ones in Europe without Olympic Games

Fair bidders and supporters (No unfair tactics)

0 temporary Venues

Security? Barcelona 92 and 2005 mediterrenean Games in Almeria (closed only 3 days ago) means sucess!

Passion? 4 TV broadcaster will show the whole ceremony live!

Bid with most broadcaster in Singapore

Olympic stadium and village within 5 to 10 min for athlets

Airport closest one to venues of all bids

ANYTHING ELSE?

:shocked:  You shocked? You wondering?

Dont worry, its all REAL,nothing VIRTUAL in this bid.

Good luck to all.  :upside:

Sorry, but why do you consider the "0 temporary venues" an advantage??? :rock:

And, I think that another reason that adds votes to Madrid is the presence of Juan Antonio Samarang. You failed to mentioned him...  :D

Good Luck Madrid!  :wink:

My predictions were actually right, on the ranking of bids from highest number votes to the lowest (and who would be eliminated first, second, etc.) and I was also right on the winner and the number of ballots it would take to select a winner, 4. :laughlong:

My predictions were actually right, on the ranking of bids from highest number votes to the lowest (and who would be eliminated first, second, etc.) and I was also right on the winner and the number of ballots it would take to select a winner, 4. :laughlong:

wow  :suspect: .......would you like a medal now  :rolleyes:

YES! :P  ........and this ain't the first time, I was right for 2010 as well.

YES! :P  ........and this ain't the first time, I was right for 2010 as well.

I always knew you were a 10 year old psychic  :P

My 2 cents:

Round One...Moscow goes out, NYC and Madrid almost equal, and London just ahead of these two. Paris out by a few from London to lead.

Round Two: Moscow's votes leak to Paris and Madrid, and NYC can't secure more from either those who have previously voted for Moscow or London. NYC goes out, and Paris's lead lengthens.

Round Three: Madrid acts as a spoiler, and whilst it potentially could send most of its IOC preferences to Paris to get Paris over the line at this stage, enough disaffected NYC votes plus some Madrid votes go to London to keep the voting at about 55% Paris to 45% London

Round Four: Paris will have to have either won by Round two or three, otherwise London could catch up and do a Sydney on Paris. The size of the NYC support and preferences will be crucial to London, as will the secondary leakage of support from IOC voters for Madrid.

The winner....my bet is Paris, but I would love to see London win coming from behind.

I certainly over-estimated the pull of Paris, and I was a bit surprised at how much support was there for Madrid in the second round. On the other hand I got the importance of Madrid and NY second votes flowing to London right, as well as if Paris hadn't won by round 2 or 3 it could lose to Londona la Beijing versus Sydney.

Archived