Your Predictions

If New York is eliminated on the first round, I think the USOC needs to step in and remind the IOC where over 50% of those greedy little devils' money comes from and to remind them to humiliate a major world city like NYC with first round elimination will not help them secure a great broadcasting deal after the 2012 Games.  If the IOC votes NYC out first, that will be a pretty low blow to the biggest hand that feeds them!!

Moscow eliminated first

4 rounds

New York over Paris in the final round  (I could live with London over Paris though!)

I admire your humbleness!!  :glare:

Can you honestly say that New York is worse than Madrid or Moscow and if so, on what grounds?   To eliminate them first just seems ridiculous!   It's the IOC members who should practice humility a bit more often.  Their prescious Games cost so much these days that they need to backing of big broadcasters and sponsors to make it happen.   I just think it's ludicrous for someone to honestly think NYC is out on the first ballot - Baron is more likely to be nice to everyone for a week  :laughlong:

I think Moscow has the weakest bid and should be elliminated on the first round...

About NY? I do think we have a stronger bid... public opinion, environmental aspects, venues already built... I don´t value the city, just the olympic project. Nothing against NYC...

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To the people who are picking 5 and more rounds, where are you getting that number?  There are only 5 cities in the race and there can only be a maximum of 4 elimination rounds (we are not counting run off ties for last place, just the elimination rounds and they certainly don't eliminate all 5 cities).  Are you predicting a tie in the end?  I think even in the case of a tie in the end, the IOC President's vote breaks the tie.

ok more than 5 is theorily impossible.. but 5 rounds are possible..

remember the 2004 elections:

Athens, Greece          

Rome, Italy

Cape Town, South Africa

Stockholm, Sweden

Buenos Aires, Argentina

5 cities and 5 rounds

this happened 'cause 2004 turn, like this, was very close

If New York is eliminated on the first round, I think the USOC needs to step in and remind the IOC where over 50% of those greedy little devils' money comes from and to remind them to humiliate a major world city like NYC with first round elimination will not help them secure a great broadcasting deal after the 2012 Games.  If the IOC votes NYC out first, that will be a pretty low blow to the biggest hand that feeds them!!

The fact remains that unless there is an early majority, one city will be eliminated first.  I don't think it will be the humiliation everyone claims it to be.  Only one city can win and this is a race of solid runners.

And as a loser, only New York has much to gain.  If New York loses, that means that 2012 is going to Europe and 2016 is theirs for the taking.  If New York wins, then 2016 becomes an European mad house.

The way I see it, NY is in a strong win-win situation, regardless of what happens.  The European cities are not.  If Europe lands 2012, Europe is virtually eliminated from 2012.  If NY lands 2012, there is a real chance that strong bids from Hungary, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, and other European nations could materialize on top of the "New Frontier" nations and Asian cities.

The way I see it for 2016 - New York up against a New Frontier city...unbeatable.  Multiple European bids up against a New Frontier city - vulnerable.

The fact remains that unless there is an early majority, one city will be eliminated first.  I don't think it will be the humiliation everyone claims it to be.  Only one city can win and this is a race of solid runners.

And as a loser, only New York has much to gain.  If New York loses, that means that 2012 is going to Europe and 2016 is theirs for the taking.  If New York wins, then 2016 becomes an European mad house.

The way I see it, NY is in a strong win-win situation, regardless of what happens.  The European cities are not.  If Europe lands 2012, Europe is virtually eliminated from 2012.  If NY lands 2012, there is a real chance that strong bids from Hungary, Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, and other European nations could materialize on top of the "New Frontier" nations and Asian cities.

The way I see it for 2016 - New York up against a New Frontier city...unbeatable.  Multiple European bids up against a New Frontier city - vulnerable.

Faultless analysis.

I think IT IS fair if NYC wins. They have never hosted them. If Paris or London gets them, it would be 3-0... is that fair?

Mmm..i love how this person (who joined this month) says that is Fair to NY to hold 2012 olympics based on the fact that they have never hosted before.

And whats about Madrid?..

Welcome.

I think IT IS fair if NYC wins. They have never hosted them. If Paris or London gets them, it would be 3-0... is that fair?

Mmm..i love how this person (who joined this month) says that is Fair to NY to hold 2012 olympics based on the fact that they have never hosted before.

Welcome.

U have to ask it; I have to answer it: they are not in the same class.  Are we going to go thru this whole thing again?  

BTW, if you didn't know, Hlinur is Madrid-based.

Faultless analysis.

I think we've kinda have known this for two years now...

Though you know what...I think that the key to that 09 bid is to actually start building the facilities they've talked about building. The new Yankee Stadium is a done deal, (Talks were going on for two years) but the new Shea/Olympic Stadium was just thrown out there to save face for the bid. What's the timeline for the Brooklyn Arena, New Meadowlands etc. etc. etc.

If they start building, and have this stuff completed by 09-10 like they said they would..they'll get 2016 hands down. If they struggle on that, they won't even bid, or mount a serious one.

Oh, and a Pick

1) Moscow

2) 4 Rounds

3) Paris

as for how it will go specifically in order..

Round 1: London, Paris, NYC, Madrid, Moscow

Round 2: London, Paris, NYC, Madrid

Round 3: Paris, London, NYC

Round 4: Paris over London

Welcome.

U have to ask it; I have to answer it: they are not in the same class.  Are we going to go thru this whole thing again?  

BTW, if you didn't know, Hlinur is Madrid-based.

i dont care where he is from. the point is that you are supporting him because he said that NY woulld be a fair host.

I have been here longer to apreciatte some other things from this bid process..we are not talking just about fairness.

But why, can't he express his preferences?  He's also about 2x your age, mex - so maybe he knows a little about the bid process even before signing on here?  I mean who knows, maybe he's been lurking and reading here for a long time?

I may remember you that i stopped expressing my obvious preference to Madrid, only because i wanted to be more clever in my discussions.

I accept every expression of support to other bids.

It's also fair that Madrid gets the Games!!! Our capital city never held the Games and they pretend to host the SOG of 1972 finishing 2nd!!!! :sleepy:  :suspect:

It's also fair that Madrid gets the Games!!! Our capital city never held the Games and they pretend to host the SOG of 1972 finishing 2nd!!!! :sleepy:  :suspect:

well,

except

there's

only

Olympics

to

go

around.  

Boo..hoo...  :cry:    :cry:   :cry:

I've got nothing to say, I just thought you'd all enjoy some more...

...scrolling.

well,

except

there's

only

Olympics

to

go

around.  

...scrolling.

c

o

m

e

a

g

a

i

n

?

well,

except

there's

only

Olympics

to

go

around.  

...scrolling.

c

o

m

e

a

g

a

i

n

?

n

o

Let's get this back to the topic.

Moscow will be eliminated first, it won't be a quick kill with four rounds of voting needed and Paris will win.

Much as I want London to pull this one off, I'm not sure they will.

Wow, I just arrived to this forum and I´m feeling popular!!  :D

I must explain myself. I said I consider fair if NYC wins, because I read some post against NY that I didn´t like. Of course I support Madrid. If it´s not Madrid, I´d like NYC to get them for 2 reasons:

- Madrid could bid for 2016

- NYC has never hosted the games before. Ok, you can say that the USA have hosted many games, but Pierre de Coubertain said OG goes to cities, not countries.

From the sentimental point of view, I would support my neighbour, Paris.

I hope NY gets bounced in the first round.

Although I think Paris will win, I'm rooting for London.

The only good American site for the Olympics is San Francisco, although chances are not good with Stanford stadium thinking of going to a football only stadium.

Agh! This is very hard for me. My heart tells me Madrid will win but I still think it will be very difficult. I really, really, really hope my city will win but something tells me it will be Paris. Anyway, I'll listen to my heart in this prediction:

1- Moscow

2- 4

3- Madrid

Archived