Basketball And Equestrian Venues Stay

arwebb

And the fact that there's nowhere else really suitable for basketball. Offset most of the cost of that that by moving badminton to the newly refurbished Wembley Arena; most people watching on TV won't even know that that was the second choice venue.

Greenwich Park remaining is also good as it will provide some of the most memorable images of 2012. I didn't really want to see that go.

2749315661_281b785d10.jpg

IMO it had to remain as a holding area for athletes pre ceremonies.

This is no longer happening as the venue has been moved from the side of the stadium to the north of the Park, quite a distance to walk for athletes.

The site where it was originally planned has become 'back of house' which I expect is where they will gather. Albeit under tents.

This is no longer happening as the venue has been moved from the side of the stadium to the north of the Park, quite a distance to walk for athletes.

Actually, the basketball arena was still mentionned as the athletes waiting area for the ceremonies in some articles as recently as yesterday.

Actually, the basketball arena was still mentionned as the athletes waiting area for the ceremonies in some articles as recently as yesterday.

Interesting. I wouldn't want to be an athlete having to do a 20 minute walk across the Olympic Park before entering the stadium for the ceremony. A better idea would be to use the handball arena.

I wonder whether that's a bit of confusion in the press.

It was going to be right next to the stadium originally - http://flickr.com/photos/darrenlewis/282781283/sizes/l/ - but has been moved to the site where the now non-existant fencing hall was going to be - http://www.london2012.com/documents/oda-pu...ons/explore.pdf

The site where it was originally planned has become 'back of house' which I expect is where they will gather. Albeit under tents.

Surprise!! The athletes will NOT be included in the OC. :)

Surprise!! The athletes will NOT be included in the OC. :)

Surprise!! In a cost saving measure, LOCOG has decided to scrap the Ceremonies altogether: for Opening, the Queen will have the IOC at Buckingham for tea time will Coe will host a BBQ in his backyard for Closing. ;)

Glad to see these venues are staying put. Although, there is still uncertainty regarding the shooting and badminton venues.

Wasn't it that the shooting lobby wanted to see it at Bisley, even though the IOC turned that down flat in the original proposal?

As for the badminton, haven't heard any more since the speculation about a possible switch to Wembley Arena.

Archived