Friendly - Germany Vs. England

Rob seems to be right with his prediction - we messaged together this afternoon and he predicted: Germany vs. England 1:2

Oh yeh, I forgot about that! Not often I get predictions right, I should've put some money on it!!

The better team won in the end. Germany looked strangely flat throughout.

Man of the match for me was Downing; though I can't see him starting ahead of Joe Cole - who has probably been the best player in an England shirt in the last year and a half - in competitive matches. Bent was unlucky not to score and kept running right till the end. I hope Capello doesn't judge him too much for that slip when he was through on goal.

Overall, as good a performance as I could have hoped for apart from the comedy goal we gifted to Germany. Changing my signature for the day obviously brought good luck! :P

The sad thing is: Any audience in any German city would have booed and jeered -- just like the Berliners did right now. I hate those booers -- one can be disappointed about such a match, but booing one's own team is just despicable.

Anyway, congratulations to England. Maybe it's simply compensation for the German 2-1 in Wembley.

What a beautiful soundtrack it was to the end of the contest.

Being serious for a moment, I don't think there is anything wrong with fans showing their unhappiness at the end of a game. During the game is a different matter, however.

When I noticed the date on the pic - it is strange to imagine that we was just ten days later "everything changed"...

evg16_85278a.jpg

Well - some headlines in German newspaper about the match of yesterday:

Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung: Verdiente Niederlage zum Jahresausklang (Deserved Defeat At The End Of The Year)

Süddeutsche: Eine grosse Leere (A Big Nothing) - that is my favourite headline about the match so far

Die Welt: DFB-Elf mit verdienter Heimniederlage gegen England (England's Deserved Defeat Of The DFB-team (abbr. for the German Football Federation))

Bild (the largest German tabloid newspaper): Ohne Ballack und Lahn löwt´s nicht rund (It Didn't Run Fine Without Ballack And Lahm (This word "löwt's" doesn't exist - it is a creation of Bild - "Löw" is the name of the coach - "laufen" means "to run" - "läuft's" would have been the right word in the context - but Bild used the name of the coach and created "löwt's", which sounds a little bit like "läuft's")

but another headline of Bild is more strange: Helmes trifft für toten Hund, dann patzt Westermann (Helmes scores for his dead dog, but then Westermann muffs) - typical Bild - totally awkward - the golden Retriever of Helmes died a month ago...

Yep, 1st September 2001. It's seems like a lot longer ago than 9/11, but it isn't.

A few English headlines for you CAF:

WISH YOU WERE HERE? - The Daily Mirror report on England's 2-1 win in Germany, with John Terry's header sealing the victory and showing the absent stars what they missed out on

IT'S THE GREAJT ESCAPE - "GreaJT"? Wow, that's bad. The Sun focus on Terry's goal being redemption after his mix-up with Scott Carson that lead to Germany's equaliser. But how will they redeem themselves after that headline pun?

FAB FINISH - The Daily Mail say Terry: "shrugged off a shattering defensive error to power home the late winner in Germany and prove that Fabio Capello's team can live with the best in the world."

TERRY TURNS A HOWLER ON ITS HEAD AS ENGLAND BREACH FORTRESS BERLIN - The Guardian point out that this was Germany's first defeat in Berlin since Brazil won there 35 years ago, so it was certainly a significant result, even in a friendly.

TERRY'S WINNER CAPS A FAB YEAR - In the Daily Express, Capello says: "I couldn't have asked for a better first year as England manager."

CAPELLO'S 24-CARAT GOLD RESERVES - And, of course, this was all done with mostly the England reserve team, points out The Times.

CAPELLO PUTS THE PRIDE BACK INTO ENGLAND - In the Daily Telegraph, they say that: "It took an outsider to remind us of the importance of the Engalnd team in an era when power has shifted to the clubs. Did I say outsider? Fabio Capello is English now. And the power is his."

http://www.4thegame.com/features/feature/2...papers_say.html

wtps201108.jpg

What a difference a year makes! The most memorable front page after England failed to qualify for Euro 2008:

Front_Page__Thursda_392956a.jpg

WISH YOU WERE HERE? - The Daily Mirror report on England's 2-1 win in Germany, with John Terry's header sealing the victory and showing the absent stars what they missed out on

IT'S THE GREAJT ESCAPE - "GreaJT"? Wow, that's bad. The Sun focus on Terry's goal being redemption after his mix-up with Scott Carson that lead to Germany's equaliser. But how will they redeem themselves after that headline pun?

TERRY TURNS A HOWLER ON ITS HEAD AS ENGLAND BREACH FORTRESS BERLIN - The Guardian point out that this was Germany's first defeat in Berlin since Brazil won there 35 years ago, so it was certainly a significant result, even in a friendly.

It is strange that the english tabloids (although The Guardian I wouldn't call a tabloid) like to use headlines with a military element, when it is about a football match vs. Germany... - in this case "The Great Escape" and "Breach Fortress Berlin"

"Wish Your were here" is quite clever - I like this one

They're much, much better than they used to be but there is still a bit of that sort of language in the tabloids. I don't think anything our tabloids have printed about a match against Germany, even 10 or 15 years ago when such military languge was used more venomously, can match the Poles' efforts prior to Euro 2008 though!

It is strange that the english tabloids (although The Guardian I wouldn't call a tabloid) like to use headlines with a military element, when it is about a football match vs. Germany... - in this case "The Great Escape" and "Breach Fortress Berlin"

"Wish Your were here" is quite clever - I like this one

I think it's generally called catering for the lowest common denominator.

Archived