Torontonians

I am absolutley in love with the city of Paris, and would love to see them host the 2012 olympic games.

However, do you not think it would be a better option for a potential Toronto 2022 olympic bid if NYC won 2012 and take out any future american city to be pitted against Toronto?

I do not think Toronto could be NYC in any olympic race, we are exactly the same in so many ways. Large, urban, multicultural cities with theatres and museums (NYC is better in each category, as many people have said 'toronto is a mini-nyc, just cleaner'. Whereas I think its possible for Toronto to beat London and Paris.

If Toronto couldn't beat NYC for an Olympic Games, then it certainly couldn't beat the likes of London and Paris either.  When you talk of Global Cities, Toronto doesn't come into the conversation.

I know I sound biased because I am a torontonian but because Toronto is the largest city and financial centre of Canada, it automatically becomes a global city.

May I remind you that Canada is a G8 nation, one of the 8 most industrialized nations in the world, and Toronto is the economic engine of that city.

There is a new wave of global cities, with the likes of Cape Town and Sydney climbing the ranks with Toronto.

If it were not for a few blunders by NYC and the USOC, I am confident that NYC would destroy both Paris and London, and I wouldnt be surprised if thats the case on Wednesday.

Just as many have said that Paris and London cross eachother out, Toronto and NYC would cross eachother out.

Oh and for your comment about Toronto not being able to beat Paris, I would take a look at the 2008 olympic election results.

but to make it simple, ill put it like this

1. Beijing

2. Toronto

3. Paris

therefore, Toronto > Paris

If it were not for a few blunders by NYC and the USOC, I am confident that NYC would destroy both Paris and London, and I wouldnt be surprised if thats the case on Wednesday.

Based on what exactly?

based on the fact that the IOC is one of the most cash oriented organizations in the world and NYC would bring about double the amount of revenues that paris or london could.

there's no doubt that london, paris and nyc could all pull off a great games, but when it comes down to money crunching, the IOC has the best opportunity to gain from NYC.

USA > Europe :)

I believe that the sooner NYC (or a USA) city hosts the Summer Olympics, the sooner Toronto will be a good candidate.....

and also as for Toronto beating Paris out because it got farther in the vote means really nothing....the voting order doesn't mean the quality of the bid, this is just merely the way the cities fall out during a very complicated vote...you can't really say it has any credible meaning like that...

As a Canadian, I prefer London.  I think London has put together an amazing bid and turned it round in the last 18 months. The Paris bid has faltered a bit and its flaws are showing through.  There are issues with the Stadium and with the Olympic village.

If London doesn't win, then I would love to see NYC get the Games,but I still say NYC will be the favourite in 2016.  The stadium mess has cost them 2012.

Toronto would have been the frontrunner in 2012 (ahead of London, Paris, NYC) if Vancouver had not won 2010. Toronto would be in the same position Beijing was for 2008.

guess we'll never know...

and I agre juan antonia...NYC will msot likely be a frontrunner for 2016, which is great...

While I agree that the sooner you get NYC/USA out of the way the sooner Toronto hosts the Olympics, I still think that the Vancouver factor will haunt Toronto for about 14-18 years.  A successful Vancouver will also benefit Toronto down the road as the IOC will look positively on Canadians and there will be a rich body of Canadians with Olympic organizational experience.

Toronto has many things on its side - 2 previous bid efforts, proximity to the USA, loads of money and a thirst for something big.  But it won't happen today.

I'm starting to see the next 20 years unfolding something like this...

12 - Europe

16 - USA

20 - New Frontier

24 - Europe

28 - North America - Toronto

32 - Asia

While Vancouver knocked Toronto out of the 2012 race, I don't think Toronto would have won on Wednesday.  I think Toronto could have beat the USA/NYC for 2016 because they would have offered all the benefits of an Olympic Games in the USA with fewer drawbacks. *ducks from those NRA card holding NYC fans*  But we'll never know.

Well, it is pretty much a moot point now, but do you guys think Toronto can't do what Montreal did, when Montreal went for the 1976 Olympic Games?

Yes, Toronto had the 2 great chances to get the Olympic Games, when it was bidding for them. Honestly, with Canada's performance in the Olympic SUMMER Games seems to be going downhill since Atlanta 1996, what would be the biggest factor in getting all Canadians pumped up for the country's summer Olympians? To me, that would be that they perform at the Olympics on home soil.

Granted, Montreal 1976 was problematic in some way to some of us, but it doesn't mean that Canada does not have the means to host another one again. Do we have to get the IOC President, whoever he is, to go to Ottawa every time something goes wrong with Canadian athletes at the Olympic Games?

Archived