Are the Olympics worth it?

I just viewed the thread on the 'Explosions' and I was at first apprehensive to even go there -- fearing the worst.  And so, I've turned on CNN.  What can one say at this time?  Except that it's all so coincidental.

Switch to this new topic, folks.  

We should pause for a few seconds to honor the dead.  But it also

brings to mind the bigger question: are something like the Olympics, which exposes innocent people for something as ephemeral as celebration of human sweat, worth it?  I think not.

And if someone will say: that terrorism has won; then they have in that they know when to strike innocent people at the oportune times.  I hope the sports nabobs meeting in Singapore will also give pause to consider how their little sphere ranks in the whole scheme of things.  

A sad day.

No terrorist will ever succeed in stopping us from carrying on.

Period.

Furthermore, George Bush has just said some very poignant things on BBC World. I can't see any of them succumbing to these extremists.

Yes, it does put into perspective our puny existences, but that is no excuse for pulling the covers over your head and hoping it all goes away.

No terrorist will ever succeed in stopping us from carrying on.

Period.

Furthermore, George Bush has just said some very poignant things on BBC World. I can't see any of them succumbing to these extremists.

Yes, it does put into perspective our puny existences, but that is no excuse for pulling the covers over your head and hoping it all goes away.

Do you want to be confrontational?

I just posed some thoughts that question whether certain things are worth it?  Munich?  Atlanta?  London - 7 years before the event?  :glare:

Whoever said anything about "pulling the covers" over my head?  I merely feels that there is a time for caution and thought.   :glare:

I don't think the bombings have got anything to do with London winning the Olympics. It would have taken months to organise these attacks, not just a few hours after the host city was named.

If anything these attacks are linked to the G8 summit.

"If one of the occupation troops forces you to carry his pack one kilometre, carry it two."

Meaning: if you strike us down, we will become stronger. If you hold us back, we will break out further. If you belittle us, we become taller.

And if you try to break our will, you make us more determined than ever.

What has happened today could have happened in any large city; in fact, it has happened in many places. The superb coordinated, controlled efforts of London's emergency services, using procedures which have been practised over and over, have proven that in a crisis, London can manage.

With all sympathies to those who lost their lives on 11 Sep 2003, a major criticism of New York's emergency services was their lack of coordination and communication. That cannot be said of London today.

Everyone is a target for Al-Qaeda, and of course they are the culprits, let's not pretend we need to wait for confirmation. No major city or international event can be completely safe from madmen who wish to kill indiscriminately. But we take reasonable steps to lower the risk. Without them, many hundreds, possibly thousands, may have died today.

This is just bad timing.  The terrorists had this planned out regardless of the Olympic announcement.  If Paris had won, these explosions in London still would have happened.  They did not attack the Olympic Movement nor did they attack the decision to stage 2012 in London.  They attacked the British people and government for other reasons.

Even the terrorist attack in Munich and the bomb in Atlanta were not an attack on the Movement.  Munich was just taking advantage of a global audience and low security measures.  Atlanta was just some goon with an axe to grind.

Do you want to be confrontational?

I just posed some thoughts that question whether certain things are worth it?  Munich?  Atlanta?  London - 7 years before the event?  :glare:

Whoever said anything about "pulling the covers" over my head?  I merely feels that there is a time for caution and thought.   :glare:

No, of course not - I wouldn't do it to you Baron, I'm just so damn hacked off by it all.

I've been pretty emotional all day, and my comments were more defiance against these people.

And when I said "but that is no excuse for pulling the covers over your head and hoping it all goes away", it was in general.

You're the last person I'd be confrontational with, sir!

Pax?  :)

Jacques Rogge sums it up for me;

"It wasn't an attack against the Games," IOC president Jacques Rogge said. "Cities like London, Paris, New York all face these kind of risks, and remember what happened in Moscow and Madrid. There are no safe havens."

We must remain defiant in the face of fanatism.  The scumbags must not violate our way of life for ordinary decent law abiding folk.

Archived