A world record of affluence for the Paris meeting

I just don't understand this thread.  Borine talks about "a world record of affluence..." but 1/4th of the stadium attendance was filled by free tickets for underprivileged children??? 

So affluence?  underprivileged?  Something doesn't compute.   :rolleyes:

50000 paid tickets it is  all the same a record of affluence for an athletism event so 70000 it is a Big big record :)

I'm surprised that you did not use the 103,000+ attendance at the gold-medal finals of men's soccer (coincidentally between Brazil and your country, France) in Los Angeles in 1984.  

So 103,000+ BEATS your puny 70,000 any day.  So that event was nothing special, Borine.

I'm surprised that you did not use the 103,000+ attendance at the gold-medal finals of men's soccer (coincidentally between Brazil and your country, France) in Los Angeles in 1984.  

So 103,000+ BEATS your puny 70,000 any day.  So that event was nothing special, Borine.

Where is the links with what i say  for AN ATHLETISM MEETING  IT IS A RECORD.

AND  THE ABSOLUTE RECORD FOR A SPORT EVENT: 200 000 SPECTATORS FOR A FOOTBALL WORLD CUP FINAL IN MEXICO IN 1986

God forbid poor children should get to attend a sporting event.

Other records set:

Most expensive event to end poverty: Geldof's Live 8.

Concert for Africa with fewest Africans involved: Geldof's Live 8 London.

And don't forget, according to London Rules, there was not a single person present at Live 8 in London, since tickets were free.

I don't think attendance figures at any event in any bidding city can be used to justify an argument one way or the other so close to the vote. Of course there will be sweeteners such as lots of free tickets etc.

It is nevertheless impressive that Paris's main Grand Prix does attract a good audience, even if they have been, as some would contend, bribed. By the way, if we're talking about athletics, somebody please remind me again how many overseas visitors there were during the track and field programme in Athens last year? And what proportion of them came from each country?

God forbid poor children should get to attend a sporting event.
Come on, if giving 20,000 free tickets to underprivilaged children at an athletics event heavily associated with Paris 2012 less than one week before the vote isn't a PR stunt, I don't know what is! I'm not saying it's not a nice gesture, because it is and obiviously these kids should get to see sport, but I'm not sure the motives of the organisers were entirely altruistic.
Most expensive event to end poverty: Geldof's Live 8.

Concert for Africa with fewest Africans involved: Geldof's Live 8 London.

And don't forget, according to London Rules, there was not a single person present at Live 8 in London, since tickets were free.

You don't agree with Live8 or its aims then parisphoto? Don't forget to not sign the Live8 petition to stop people dying in Africa.

Speaking of Africa, there's a thought. Why not give the Games to Cape Town in 2016, but make everyone in the really rich countries pay for it?

We should see before if South Africa will manage well FIFA world cup in 2010 ... after this, Cape Town will have more power if the world cup is a success ! And to answer to your statement... Any country will accept to pay OG of another country seriously ! ...  World private companies to financing games would be something a little bit better...  I put out public companies because if it's to see a want of each public company to see the city where they are (the headquarter) organize olympic games (like Cocacola in Atlanta), there will be no end in scandals...

You don't agree with Live8 or its aims then parisphoto? Don't forget to not sign the Live8 petition to stop people dying in Africa.

Cool. You can sign an petition and people won't die? Is that something out of Harry Potter? You Brits are just full of magical stuff.

Cool. You can sign an petition and people won't die? Is that something out of Harry Potter? You Brits are just full of magical stuff.

Fine, don't bother.

Archived