French 2018 Bid Cities

C'est fini. I saw it. My opinion of presentations in few words.

GRENOBLE: compact but bored presentation.

PELVOUX-ÉCRINS: illusion and in the heart of mountains.

ANNECY: solidity and good distribution.

NICE: new idea and new horizons.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I have been rather pleasantly surprised by the general quality of the presentations.

I will have to watch them again but I would say that:

• Grenoble has probably the strongest bid but is facing serious issues with accommodation. And I do agree that the presentation was lacking passion
  • Annecy has a rather attractive bid and I think did quite a nice job
  • Pelvoux was probably the most passionate candidate but, even if it is the responsible thing to do, I am not convinced that using some of Torino facilities will sell well with the IOC
  • I have been dissapointed by Nice presentation. The athletes were clearly reading their text and I am not sure they have actually been very involved in the preparation of the bid. Also, France does not need an additional Bob & Luge track

I have to say that I am now convinced that France can present a bid that would be shortlisted.

From the press conference of the CNOSF following the presentations, it is almost official now that France will bid for 2018 (up to now, the CNOSF had always reminded that it could decide not to submit any bid).

I am actually watching the ones I missed this afternoon, and i should say that I am impressed by Pelvoux !

They were pro in their presentation and listening them it seemed possible to organise the games.... it's compact... there is transport (train) that will be improved in the next years... they have the accommodation....

Negative point for me it's the distance for the airport (Lyon or Marseille) !

And I agree with Jeremy, not sure that the italian's venues will convince the IOC members !

Grenoble was boring and did not offer something new. As, I have always said in this forum, I am not for hosting games in a former host city (and in a normal process it has never happened that a city hosted twice).

Nice is still my favorite : Love the idea to organise some events near the sea... like the size of the city (an international one). And the presentation was not so bad.

Annecy will be my challenger. Project is strong. But presentation was a little bit bored too ! Poor Antoine Deneriaz... that's not his job to do some speach....

But that's sure (and it has been said in the press conference), the French NOC could not take the decision to not pick one city. All the bid could do a long way in the IOC process by participating in the final vote.

As usual, France will be technicaly good... will stay the lobbying side.....

Do someone know, if the bid files would be made available on the web ?

Hint to the French NOC. Is a "technically strong" bid really the right route to be taking?

I think a solid bid with some va va voom potential is needed.

90% of venues in place is boring.

Remember the IOC will announce the winner in Durban! A lovely coastal city where IOC members will have a fabulous time.

I don't know: Vancouver, Sochi, Nice... Sea, Mountains...

Time for something new.

And don't worry Mo, the "va va voom" potential of Nice wasn't lost on the CNOSF...

I don't know Sochi, but am used to Nice and Vancouver, and I could say that those 2 towns are totally different.

In Vancouver, you can almost touch the mountains (even if the venues are almost 100kms away!) ... but do not try to enjoy a sunny walk on the sea shore in February.... And this is a modern city with a lot of high towers.... less charm than the mediteranean architecture...

In Nice, you can enjoy the outside life (like a cold spring !), and I am sure a lot of IOC members' wifes will enjoy sunbathing and shopping near the sea in Nice and Monaco.... (even 4 years after Sochi, that some people qualified as similar to Nice)... but the view on the mountains is very far....

That's why for me Nice is still my favorite.... Second choice, Annecy, that's more a traditionnal project.

• 1 month later...

According to Nice Matin (Nice daily newspaper), the Evaluation Commission of the French NOC has released its report (which should be made public today) ahead of next week vote: Pelvoux would be out leaving only Annecy, Grenoble and Nice in the competition.

According to Nice Matin (Nice daily newspaper), the Evaluation Commission of the French NOC has released its report (which should be made public today) ahead of next week vote: Pelvoux would be out leaving only Annecy, Grenoble and Nice in the competition.

For our french speaking readers, here is the article

And here is the CNOSF Evaluation Commission report

So here is the Evaluation Commission Ranking...

1st Grenoble

2nd Annecy

3rd Nice

4th Pelvoux

Just Grenoble & Annecy are said "having the necessary potential to host OG & PG in 2018 and are able to present a good quality bid and to pass the IOC applicant phase...."

Nice is said dangerous because of distance and lack of transport & accommodation structures

Pelvoux has no capacity to host Games.

I am thinking that only 2 cities will participate to the vote !

Wow, I am really surprised by how low Nice scored!

Based on this report, it should be between Annecy and Grenoble!

Yes same feeling.... I was aware of the problem of transports, but i was thinking that the games would be the opportunity to boost the new roads to a fastest access to the mountains venues ! But we never saw the files.... so may be inside there is some surprise !

So now, my bet is ANNECY.....

No matter which city is eventually chosen by the CNOSF (and yeah, my gutts tell me Annecy now), accommodation will be a challenge as none of the pre-requerant cities is above the threshold!

jeremie and memorabilia,

do you think that Annecy will be selected, since Grenoble has already hosted the Winter Games or do you think it will be selected, since the bid is better?

From my point of view, I am not found of giving the games to a city that has already hosted the games in the past. And i know there is a lot of people against a bid in Grenoble.

But I will come back to you during the week-end after analysing the report to see the good and bad points of each bids (as we could do have seen yet the bid files)...

Just so you know: Pelvoux and Nice are (obviously) very unhappy with the report. They are also very unhappy with the fact that the report was initially supposed to be made public after the vote and not before (they fear that media pressure will make it more difficult for voters to vote for either Pelvoux or Nice).

I think that the best chance of winning is still Nice. They just need to work with Nice to develop a much better concept.

It's certainly doable for some issues (I have no doubt that, should Nice be elected on Wednesday, a Snow Olympic Village will be planned) but for other ones I am more sceptical (lack of accommodation in the mountain area, limited transport options to the ski resorts...).

We'll see but I really doubt that Nice could come up with a winning bid.

Archived