French 2018 Bid Cities

I doubt that the IOC will award Olympic Games to a city, which uses venues in another country - altough you should never say never - therefore I think these possible venues, which are mentioned in a local newspaper, would be better...

It is interesting that Ski acrobatique is given to Valberg and not to Beuil, too.

As i said, this map is nothing official and may be realised by people that do not know nothing about olympics.

Valberg is bigger than Beuil and could be the official host for those nordic events !

Regarding the use of venues in Italy, for sure it will be a premiere... but i am sure they (people from the bid) already start to have contact to see if it was possible (with french IOC members, Prince Albert from Monaco...)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As i said, this map is nothing official and may be realised by people that do not know nothing about olympics.

Valberg is bigger than Beuil and could be the official host for those nordic events !

I am aware that this is just "a proposal" of some local journalists and not the official bid...

Regarding the use of venues in Italy, for sure it will be a premiere... but i am sure they (people from the bid) already start to have contact to see if it was possible (with french IOC members, Prince Albert from Monaco...)

Does Prince Albert have influence on the French NOC and its decisions?

Does Prince Albert have influence on the French NOC and its decisions?

I could not say for sure YES, but i'm think he is often consulted by the French NOC on olympic questions... He was known to be very close from Paris 2012 Bid.

Why are these French cities/towns doing this dance? Do they really think a French candidate has a chance for 2018? :rolleyes: I like Nice but...uhmmm... Sochi will have just done that winter-palm tree thing, so even that angle won't be a novel approach...

As I explained in a previous post elsewhere, this "dance" is just a self gratification exercise by Henri Sérandour to cover his incompetence over 2012 and the "badge affair" at the Beijing 2008 Games.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_S%C3%A9randour

(in French)

Unfortunately I was shouted off the forum by people who don't like to see their agendas challenged.....

Unfortunately I was shouted off the forum by people who don't like to see their agendas challenged.....

Agenda :blink:

Paranoia anyone?

Shouted off :blink:

You are the one who couldn't stand that facts didn't fit your opinion.

And BTW, I, as well as others, have been very critical about the CNOSF behaviour in the past few years and, unlike yourself blaming an "Anglo-saxon conspiracy" for Paris 2012 failure, I acknowledge that poor French PR and involvement in the Olympic Movement in general was a key factor in France Olympic bid repeated failures.

But I have also acknowledged that the CNOSF has evolved this past year: the transparency around the 2018 domestic bid process is a first. Also a first is the clear statement that, win or lose, any 2018 bid should leave a legacy. I still think that the chance of France winning 2018 is, at best, very small. However, it's important for France to be involved in the Olympic Movement and to build strong relationship with its actors.

As for Sérandour, he is stepping down next year (it's about time) sooooo I don't see what he could possibly gain from the 2018 bid.

As I explained in a previous post elsewhere, this "dance" is just a self gratification exercise by Henri Sérandour to cover his incompetence over 2012 and the "badge affair" at the Beijing 2008 Games.

That is a interesting hypothesis, but I doubt that it is true, since if this bid is to cover up Henry Sérandour's incompetence over 2012 isn't the possibility to loose the bid for 2018, too, not counterproductive? I mean isn't two lost bids not more bad as one lost bid?

Germany already played that card for the 2011 Women's World Cup.

Yeah, but does it really matter? France is nothing in Womens Football compared to Germany. Nobody took their bid seriously. I doubt, that the French really wanted to host the World Cup.

If the French want to avoid another humiliation, they have to withdraw. ;)

Oh dear.

As I (more or less) predicted, all this is going pear shaped!

http://www.tsr.ch/tsr/index.html?siteSect=...y=1225900272000

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jNV6SK...zm-HEhINaFiFtcA

http://www.sport24.com/autres-sports/fil-i...randour-211483/

http://www.nicerendezvous.com/FR/NICE-JEUX...OUR-n-4466.html

For those without a French dictionary, the articles reveal how Bernard Laporte (French sports minister) and Sérandour are at each other's throat over how long presidents of French sporting federation can remain in office. Laporte wants a 4 year term renewable once and Sérandour is violently against claiming the dispute will have an adverse effect on the 2018 WOG bids.

It's going to end in tears, I tell ya.....

Annecy's venues :

Chamonix & Morzine-Avoriaz : Alpine Skiing

La Clusaz : Nordic Skiing & ski jumping

Le Grand Bornand : biathlon.

Flaine : Snowboarding

Annecy : Ice skating events

La plaine de Mont-Blanc, Megève & Chamonix : hockey

Saint-Gervais : Curling

80% of the venues are already existing. 2 ice-skating arenas, the ice-rink and the ski-jumping stadium have to be built.

Annecy's venues :

Chamonix & Morzine-Avoriaz : Alpine Skiing

La Clusaz : Nordic Skiing & ski jumping

Le Grand Bornand : biathlon.

Flaine : Snowboarding

Annecy : Ice skating events

La plaine de Mont-Blanc, Megève & Chamonix : hockey

Saint-Gervais : Curling

80% of the venues are already existing. 2 ice-skating arenas, the ice-rink and the ski-jumping stadium have to be built.

where would luge/skeleton/bobsleigh take place?

I haven't been following this, so is France bidding for 2018, & if so, with what town.

Annecy, Grenoble, Nice and Pelvoux want to bid - the French NOC decides if France will bid for 2018

• 1 month later...

For those of you interested (and speaking French obviously), the presentation of the 4 French potential applicant cities to the CNOSF will be broadcasted live on the CNOSF website (I have to say, I am favourably impressed by the transparency, so far, of the French selection procedure) at:

CNOSF Website

Starting time: 13h45 French time.

Archived