Who Will bid for 2016?

I still can't wait to see the next USOC choice for a summer games.  I also want to see the "new rules" that the USOC says that they are going to put into place for the future and how those rules will effect NYC and other bid cities.

Just a point to make....anyone here that thinks that the stadium situation was solved in time for the IOC to cast it's votes for NYC is dumb.  All the uncertainty regarding the Olympic Stadium cost NYC many votes.  Last minute changes to ANY bid brings on questions of lack of committment, judgement and support.  Thus the vote for 2012 showed.  Who was to say that NYC's taxpayers wouldn't turn down the stadium if it was brought to a vote?  this was a gamble that the IOC wasn't willing to take.

NYC says that their plans would be almost in stone for a 2016 bid.  There will be NO questions to be asked this time around.

But will they get the nod to run again?

This will be something to see in the future.....

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I still can't wait to see the next USOC choice for a summer games.  I also want to see the "new rules" that the USOC says that they are going to put into place for the future and how those rules will effect NYC and other bid cities.

Just a point to make....anyone here that thinks that the stadium situation was solved in time for the IOC to cast it's votes for NYC is dumb.  All the uncertainty regarding the Olympic Stadium cost NYC many votes.  Last minute changes to ANY bid brings on questions of lack of committment, judgement and support.  Thus the vote for 2012 showed.  Who was to say that NYC's taxpayers wouldn't turn down the stadium if it was brought to a vote?  this was a gamble that the IOC wasn't willing to take.

NYC says that their plans would be almost in stone for a 2016 bid.  There will be NO questions to be asked this time around.

But will they get the nod to run again?

This will be something to see in the future.....

most likely yes.....

WOW!!!!

I am humbled here!!!  An actual agreement from one of my posts from solympiadsw!!!!

Thanks!!!!  We haven't agreed on much, but at least we have this.  

However, I do love reading your posts!!!!  They often get my blood boiled.....hehehe

WOW!!!!

I am humbled here!!!  An actual agreement from one of my posts from solympiadsw!!!!

Thanks!!!!  We haven't agreed on much, but at least we have this.  

However, I do love reading your posts!!!!  They often get my blood boiled.....hehehe

lol I meant to also add that it most likely will be NYC (if they chose to bid) that will be chosen from the USOC....I doubt the rules will change in a way where it would hurt them, and they will most likely be the one to beat in the USA....the USOC went with them once, and most definately should go with them again....but yes this is all speculative until NYC says they want to bid again (which I think they will).....

Let's see, what new 'rules' can the USOC draft for a 'winning' city?

- How 'bout one with 'less' international appeal than New York?

- A city that is much smaller so it will have the feel of Atlanta '96?

- A city that has fiscal problems so that financing will be touch-and-go?

- A city that most IOC members have NOT visited at some time in their lives?

Duuuuuuuh?   :rolleyes:

BTW, I caught up on some of my The New York Times reading this afternoon on the aftermath of last week's votes, and Peter Ueberroth himself says, from his years in dealing with the IOC, in so many words: "...working with the IOC is all about personal relationships.  Doctoroff and Bloomberg are well liked in IOC circles..."  You couldn't get a stronger hint than that TOGETHER with just putting base/softball on the backburner...  

I mean, again Duuuuh?  Even Mr. X and Faster could put that together!!  :wink:

I again, reluctantly have to agree with you solympiadsw,

I have to agree that the NYC bid was the BEST that the USOC could put forth for the 2012 election.  But only time will tell if that bid, or a better one will be able to beat out other cities?  Maybe others like San Francisco, Washington, Houston, etc. have also learned from their defeats in the 2012 campaign and will come back with something MUCH better.  NYC shouldn't rest on their laurels and look to improve their bid.  I am sure the others are aiming at NYC.  That would be the logical thing to do if I were heading a bid.

Just because you have bid before and are FRESH in the minds of the IOC doesn't really help?  Maybe the IOC wants to forget NYC'S bid?  Who is really to say?

Just some thoughts......

I again, reluctantly have to agree with you solympiadsw,

I have to agree that the NYC bid was the BEST that the USOC could put forth for the 2012 election.  But only time will tell if that bid, or a better one will be able to beat out other cities?  Maybe others like San Francisco, Washington, Houston, etc. have also learned from their defeats in the 2012 campaign and will come back with something MUCH better.  NYC shouldn't rest on their laurels and look to improve their bid.  I am sure the others are aiming at NYC.  That would be the logical thing to do if I were heading a bid.

Just because you have bid before and are FRESH in the minds of the IOC doesn't really help?  Maybe the IOC wants to forget NYC'S bid?  Who is really to say?

Just some thoughts......

Houston is NOT happening, neither is Washington.....as for SF...there isn't much they can do to fix their bids major problem of being to spread out...no matter what they do NYC's bid will still be stronger....and the IOC wants to forget NYC?....yea right....the majority of them didn't vote for NYC 2012, knowing it would probably come back for 2016 as a favorite....trust me they want NYC back....

NYC will be the one most liekly to beat in the USA and on the International Level.....if they chose to bid that is....which is VERY likely....

Let's see, what new 'rules' can the USOC draft for a 'winning' city?

- How 'bout one with 'less' international appeal than New York?

- A city that is much smaller so it will have the feel of Atlanta '96?

- A city that has fiscal problems so that financing will be touch-and-go?

- A city that most IOC members have NOT visited at some time in their lives?

Duuuuuuuh?   :rolleyes:

BTW, I caught up on some of my The New York Times reading this afternoon on the aftermath of last week's votes, and Peter Ueberroth himself says, from his years in dealing with the IOC, in so many words: "...working with the IOC is all about personal relationships.  Doctoroff and Bloomberg are well liked in IOC circles..."  You couldn't get a stronger hint than that TOGETHER with just putting base/softball on the backburner...  

I mean, again Duuuuh?  Even Mr. X and Faster could put that together!!  :wink:

Let me quote myself...

to Baron.....DUHHHHHHH,

Ask anyone in the world what they know about NYC NOW????.....and that unfortunately would be 9/11.  And this is just SAD....  all that is really remembered of this great city is a horrible terrorist attack!!!!  An attack that could have happened anywhere in the world and happened in NYC.  And those attacks are still happening now....ask London and Madrid.  There will be almost NO mention of Madison Square Gardens, Flushing Meadows, Yankee Stadium or Broadway.

NYC IS A GREAT CITY, don't get me wrong.  But I don't put it on my list of favourites in the US.  Nor do I think that NYC is the best and/or only city in the US that could host an excellent Summer Games.  Cities like San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, Miami, Houston and Los Angeles (again) also come to mind.  If Atlanta could pull off a games, who is to say that another city can't?

Whichever city is picked for a future bid....there will be enough corporate sponsorship to support that bid and games.  That is why the US is often chosen for games.  It's all about the $$$$$.  And those dollars will come even if the USOC put forth a city in the middle of nowhere to host.  Can you see Scottsdale/Las Vegas 2016 or 2020?

The US border or entry gates don't stop at NYC.  I think that they will get their chance in the future to host.  I just don't see it in the near future....

Just a thought......

but hlaf of those cities you mentioned WILL NOT even bid, and those that do will not have bids as strong as NYC....NYC is definately a TOP if not the highest city in the USA and in the world....it is known for so many things, and is reckognized world wide for things other then 9/11....to say that is just flat out stupid......

and I am sorry they will MSOT LIKELY BE HOSTING IN THE NEAR FUTURE....the other USA cities will be pput on the back burner most likely....NYC has an enormous reputation, a great bid, and will bring in the money everyone loves....it will be the one to beat both for other USA cities, and in the International Field.....

Just out of curiousity....and it probably won't happen...

NYC couldn't beat out Paris's bid in the 2012 race.  However, Paris's bid didn't change that much from the 2008 election at all!!!!  NYC wasn't even close to the Paris bid....

Hypothetically, if Toronto were to bid for 2016.  (I don't think they will) Showing that they BEAT Paris in the 2008 election....quite easily.  How do you think that NYC would stand against a Toronto bid?  Let's not talk about Vancouver 2010 because I will only come back with Atlanta 1996 and Salt Lake 2002 (they are also 6 years apart as well)

Toronto has been quoted by many IOC members as the "BEST technical" bid of all time....including the 2012 election.  Toronto was also chased down by IOC members to bid again very soon!!!!  So where would this leave Toronto and NYC?

Toronto was beaten out on a geo-political agenda.  NYC was just "plainly" beaten.  I have looked at both bid books and it is clear that Toronto is more compact.  Yet, NYC does give us many famous venues.  Almost all of Toronto's Venues would be on the Lake Ontario Waterfront.  Most of NYC's are inland.

I wish NYC good luck for 2016.  If they don't win and it comes down to 2020.  It might be a showdown between NYC and Toronto.  A race that I truely want to see!!!!

Just out of curiousity....and it probably won't happen...

NYC couldn't beat out Paris's bid in the 2012 race.  However, Paris's bid didn't change that much from the 2008 election at all!!!!  NYC wasn't even close to the Paris bid....

Hypothetically, if Toronto were to bid for 2016.  (I don't think they will) Showing that they BEAT Paris in the 2008 election....quite easily.  How do you think that NYC would stand against a Toronto bid?  Let's not talk about Vancouver 2010 because I will only come back with Atlanta 1996 and Salt Lake 2002 (they are also 6 years apart as well)

Toronto has been quoted by many IOC members as the "BEST technical" bid of all time....including the 2012 election.  Toronto was also chased down by IOC members to bid again very soon!!!!  So where would this leave Toronto and NYC?

Toronto was beaten out on a geo-political agenda.  NYC was just "plainly" beaten.  I have looked at both bid books and it is clear that Toronto is more compact.  Yet, NYC does give us many famous venues.  Almost all of Toronto's Venues would be on the Lake Ontario Waterfront.  Most of NYC's are inland.

I wish NYC good luck for 2016.  If they don't win and it comes down to 2020.  It might be a showdown between NYC and Toronto.  A race that I truely want to see!!!!

lol I was wondering how long it would be before you brought Toronto up lol.....Toronto could have the best bid ever....it won't matter Vancouver and the fact that the Mayor said NO pretty much kill it....and if they do go forward I highly doubt it will be a showdown between the USA and Toronto....Toronto lost once to a USA city, and I think would again in 2016....and Toronto having the "best technical bid" is old news....if the IOC went strictly on that why haven't the won already? why haven't a million other cities with the storngest tecnical bid won in past elections throughout Olympic History?....please

and NYC lost MOSTLY because of geopolitics as well...the Games were destined for Europe....such a stupid thing to say

Nah, nah, nah.  Rjmac's arguments DON'T hold up at all.

NYC IS A GREAT CITY, don't get me wrong.  But I don't put it on my list of favourites in the US.  Nor do I think that NYC is the best and/or only city in the US that could host an excellent Summer Games.  Cities like San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, Miami, Houston and Los Angeles (again) also come to mind.  If Atlanta could pull off a games, who is to say that another city can't?

Whichever city is picked for a future bid....there will be enough corporate sponsorship to support that bid and games.  That is why the US is often chosen for games.  It's all about the $$$$$.  And those dollars will come even if the USOC put forth a city in the middle of nowhere to host.  Can you see Scottsdale/Las Vegas 2016 or 2020?

The US border or entry gates don't stop at NYC.  I think that they will get their chance in the future to host.  I just don't see it in the near future....

You dance around the issue of New York...and/or dwell only on its negatives...like Cato and Ashing.

All you present are: who's to say? who's to know?  All imponderables.  Will you get real...and look at how the 2002 elimination race went?  Will you look at the resources of each city?  Will you look at who is really going to go up against NYC?

As for not making it this time, I think pragmatists knew that.  But that doesn't mean you can't give it your all?  Besides, the IOC was determined to award 2012 to Europe -- so even if NYC had presented its very best (or worst), 2012 was still going to Europe.

Did you see my post about the what-if new rules the USOC might hypothetically use?  If you can answer those with any sense, then I will continue to debate with you.  I will even make a BET with you as to the USOC's 2016 candidate -- with the board as our witness...

But otherwise, I think it pointless to debate because we are obviously poles apart.  And again, I DON'T buy all your arguments about there being a better candidate city - if NYC bids.    

You have a better bid?  :glare:  Show me something tangible and maybe I'll bite.  Otherwise, your arguments simply don't hold water, mac.

God, you people are THICK!!!

NYC was a crap bid....they didn't lose out on geo-politics.  Hell, hey barely beat out Moscow!!!! (when all of the votes were split) so that nobody was embarrassed!!!!!  Are you all New or what?  Thus the lack of support for NYC in the second round. They lost votes when votes were to be had when Moscow went out!!!!!

As for Toronto not bidding......Mayor's come and they go very quickly.  And Toronto doesn't need the Mayor's support if they chose to run for 2016.

I think it will be a safer bet to see Toronto in the 2020 mix.  I think it is quite safe to say that you won't see NYC get the game of 2016.

God, you people are THICK!!!

NYC was a crap bid....they didn't lose out on geo-politics.  Hell, hey barely beat out Moscow!!!! (when all of the votes were split) so that nobody was embarrassed!!!!!  Are you all New or what?  Thus the lack of support for NYC in the second round. They lost votes when votes were to be had when Moscow went out!!!!!

As for Toronto not bidding......Mayor's come and they go very quickly.  And Toronto doesn't need the Mayor's support if they chose to run for 2016.

I think it will be a safer bet to see Toronto in the 2020 mix.  I think it is quite safe to say that you won't see NYC get the game of 2016.

now he shows his true colors....what a fool....

Dense?

At which point did I say something wrong?

You can't actually see NYC getting 2016 can you?

If you can, you must be the same who said that NYC would surely get 2012

That's just tit for tat, mac.  I can dish as good as I can get.

Uhmmm...actually if you've followed all my other posts - yes, I rooted for New York, as everybody here did for their candidate - but NY had a 20% - as all the other 4 did -- of winning it.  Each city had a 1-in-5 chance to win.  You have to be in it; to win it.  Not a 'what if 'Utopia City' puts in a bid'?  Well, yeah, where is it?

At least I am passionate FOR a city - a real candidate.  So what if it didn't win?   Did Dan Jansen win the first time?  Did Michelle Kwan win the first time?  Are the gates closed for 2016?  

WHY DON'T YOU ADVANCE SOMETHING TANGIBLE RATHER THAN THE INTANGIBLES YOU KEEP POSITING?  I don't deal with intangibles.

Do you people think that an Israeli city - let's say Tel Aviv- could bid? I've heard the Israeli OC said they were interested in bidding, and I think it would be good for olympism to make Tel Aviv host the games.

And if Toronto decides to bid for 2016, I hope they'll win.

BBC's TOP 50 PLACES TO SEE BEFORE YOU DIE (November 2002)

Here are the top ten:

1. The Grand Canyon

2. Great Barrier Reef

3. Disney World, Florida

4. South Island, New Zealand

5. Cape Town

6. Golden Temple

7. Las Vegas

8. Sydney

9. New York

10. Taj Mahal

top ranked cities: cape town,las vegas, sydney, new york full stop

Cape Town 2016 the darkhorse to win this bid??

I think the 2016's shortlist will be compossed by:

NYC

Cape Town

Rio de Janeiro

Buenos Aires

With a victory of NYC.

Archived