World Junior Hockey Championships

They can't even support an NHL team with the cheapest tickets in the league.

Are you kidding? Where do you get the information that they can't support their NHL franchise???? Average attendance for 2007-2008 for the Sabres is 19,950. Only Montreal averages more than this. I would appreciate it if you got your facts straight before making an ignorant claim like that.

Are you kidding? Where do you get the information that they can't support their NHL franchise???? Average attendance for 2007-2008 for the Sabres is 19,950. Only Montreal averages more than this. I would appreciate it if you got your facts straight before making an ignorant claim like that.

Chicago 2016 this Faster guy predicted that the Canadian Minister of Defence was in danger of losing his parliament seat in the election we had a couple of weeks ago . I live in that Defence Ministers district and Peter MacKay won with an increase of 6 percentage points over the 2006 elections which he won by 8 points . This time the man won against the National Leader of the Green Party with a 14 point margin . this margin amounted to 5000 votes.

Also on the prediction list was that the conservatives would lose seats in Fasters own area of Ontario when they indeed gained 10 seats and held all seats in every province except Newfoundland and Alberta.

faster gets his information out of his .

Jim Jones

Chicago 2016 this Faster guy predicted that the Canadian Minister of Defence was in danger of losing his parliament seat in the election we had a couple of weeks ago . I live in that Defence Ministers district and Peter MacKay won with an increase of 6 percentage points over the 2006 elections which he won by 8 points . This time the man won against the National Leader of the Green Party with a 14 point margin . this margin amounted to 5000 votes.

Also on the prediction list was that the conservatives would lose seats in Fasters own area of Ontario when they indeed gained 10 seats and held all seats in every province except Newfoundland and Alberta.

faster gets his information out of his .

Jim Jones

And just so you get the whole picture: Jim Jones predicted that Abuja would defeat Glasgow by a landslide.

I'll let you figure out where JJ gets his information...

And just so you get the whole picture: Jim Jones predicted that Abuja would defeat Glasgow by a landslide.

I'll let you figure out where JJ gets his information...

yeah i guess I was wrong just like the english bookmakers who favored Abuja LOL. '

Jim jones

No matter where JJ got his info. Obviously Faster is a fan of an NHL team other than Buffalo and he let his personal feelings interfere with the fact that Buffalo NY is one of the best hockey cities in the USA and Canada, as evidenced here.

Sorry to say, but Buffalo NY beats whatever city you choose as your favorite in Canada (unless you are an Edmonton fan).

The Outdoor Hockey Classic would be enough to put Buffalo in the top 10. But people in Buffalo are not just Sabres fans. They are hockey fans. I saw a report that showed in last year's Stanley Cup Final, the Buffalo area gave the game higher ratings than either network that was in the game (Anaheim and Ottawa). That is just ridiculous. There must be some amazing hockey bar scenes perhaps worth a look in Buffalo.

Check out the full article here:Best Hockey Cities in Canada and USA

In the 2007/2008 season Buffalo operated at a 8.9million dollar lose. The worst lose of any traditional hockey market (and only above Phoenix, Carolina and Florida). Forbes

Buffalo was chosen, for the same reason Grand Forks was chosen a couple years ago, so that they had excess to a Canadian market. Something that won't happen if the tournament is in Dallas or wherever else they had considered.

This tournament is never successful outside of Canada, always operating at a lose outside of Canada.

And since when do you value anything from England?? LOL

well you would think they would have an inside track on what type of College Scholarships and Whiskey Glasgow 2014 gave to some countries. Both True and certainly would not be allowed for an Olympics Vote.

jim jones

well you would think they would have an inside track on what type of College Scholarships and Whiskey Glasgow 2014 gave to some countries. Both True and certainly would not be allowed for an Olympics Vote.

jim jones

And how does that answer my question?

You keep dismissing anything coming from UK so why would you value the odds some British bookmakers?

And to answer to your garbage, I find it despicable for you to imply that Glasgow won by bribery when, for months, you have been on record on this very forum laughing at Glasgow for not promising as much money to the CWG federations as Abuja did (that was your main selling point for Abuja: "Why would anyone vote for Glasgow when Abuja is willing to give more money?"). Pathetic.

In the 2007/2008 season Buffalo operated at a 8.9million dollar lose. The worst lose of any traditional hockey market (and only above Phoenix, Carolina and Florida). Forbes

Buffalo was chosen, for the same reason Grand Forks was chosen a couple years ago, so that they had excess to a Canadian market. Something that won't happen if the tournament is in Dallas or wherever else they had considered.

This tournament is never successful outside of Canada, always operating at a lose outside of Canada.

I agree in regards to access to the Canadian Market. Also you have to take into account the fact that much of the sponsorship is now Canadian Companies and the largest broadcaster for TV rights value is probably Canada. In regards to the Buffalo Sabres Finances if you field a team with some high salaries, sell out the regular season games and then fail to make the play-offs then you are going to have Losses with the current economics of the NHL. Also what you may not know is that to be granted a franchise Buffalo has to or had to pay a yearly fee to the Toronto Maple Leafs for being in Toronto's Franchise Territory. New Jersey Devils and the New York Islanders had to pay the same type of fees to the New York Rangers. The Buffalo Sabres increased ticket sales in the past couple of years from a gate of 24 million to 28 million last year but the salaries went up by 20 million from 34 to about 54 million. Overall Revenues have remained the same while team Evaluation has gone up both in value and in standing to other teams . The increase in gate could be ticket pricing increases but also the 24 million was in a year they went to the Stanley Cup finals with a lower Salary and expenses. The profit that year was a bit over 4 million. Considering Buffalo recently would sell between 14000 and 15000 seasons tickets that is very good for a typical NHL arena being 18000 seats. You cannot blame the fans or the interest in hockey in Buffalo for a loss.

As to Buffalo being a tradition Hockey Market. Hockey is stronger of course in the Northeast but Buffalo between 1970 and 1978 had an NBA Franchise as well. That NBA club is now the LA Clippers . Pittsburgh is certainly a Hockey Friendly city Nearby but still owed Mario Lemieux, one of the greatest Players to play the Game, Back salary to the point of ceding the ownership to Mario and a Partnership. This was with a few Stanley Cup wins.

compare Buffalo to Pittsburgh and you get a clear view . Buffalo players salaries 52 million , Gate 28 million , revenues 76 million . profit/loss -8 .9 million for last season having not gone into the playoffs. Pittsburgh players salaries 44 million , Gate 42 million , revenues 87 million, profit/loss 5.1 million.

Buffalo has a higher salary budget adn does not have the Merch Sales that Sidney Crosby would have for Pittsburgh . Basically Pittsburgh has the David Beckham of ice hockey in their franchise.

Jim jones

And how does that answer my question?

You keep dismissing anything coming from UK so why would you value the odds some British bookmakers?

And to answer to your garbage, I find it despicable for you to imply that Glasgow won by bribery when, for months, you have been on record on this very forum laughing at Glasgow for not promising as much money to the CWG federations as Abuja did (that was your main selling point for Abuja: "Why would anyone vote for Glasgow when Abuja is willing to give more money?"). Pathetic.

they admitted to it in their own newspapers and I didn't say they won via Bribery but a Scholarship to Abuja University was never offered and just would not have the ring of the University of Glasgow LOL. Hey the thing is giving more money for Training as opposed to giving a case of Scotch and someones kid a post Graduate degree. Glasgow got the votes with a Cheaper set of rewards for the voter . The Athletes and the taxpayers of the voting countries don't decide one person who will try to enrich himself will . Adelaide 1998 had the very same charges against Kuala Lumpar . Glasgow admitted in their own newspapers and then tried to say "oh but these are not bribes" Yeah not even the local people posted their reactions believed that LOL.

What happened was the bid was placed in May 2007 , Glasgow knew that 125,000 for everyone was very hard to turn down so they came up with their own plan as a counter offer. a counter offer that is cheaper and more direct.

Jim Jones

How does a loss in revenue equate to Buffalo not supporting hockey? Have you ever even been to Buffalo? Hockey is supported here by passionate fans. And yes, many of the professional hockey fans come from Canada to support the Sabres. The Canadian fans in Buffalo are not only here when the Leafs come to Buffalo! Moreover, we support pee wee hockey, high school hockey and have some excellent collegiate hockey here (ever hear of Niagara or Canisius?) The Sabres draw fans from all over western NY.

Poor revenue does not show the level of fan support for hockey here. When you come to Buffalo for a hockey game let me know and I will show you how we support hockey here!

Oh, by the way, businesses do not operate at a lose, they operate at a loss.

How does a loss in revenue equate to Buffalo not supporting hockey? Have you ever even been to Buffalo? Hockey is supported here by passionate fans. And yes, many of the professional hockey fans come from Canada to support the Sabres. The Canadian fans in Buffalo are not only here when the Leafs come to Buffalo! Moreover, we support pee wee hockey, high school hockey and have some excellent collegiate hockey here (ever hear of Niagara or Canisius?) The Sabres draw fans from all over western NY.

Poor revenue does not show the level of fan support for hockey here. When you come to Buffalo for a hockey game let me know and I will show you how we support hockey here!

Oh, by the way, businesses do not operate at a lose, they operate at a loss.

When teams are losing money it means that the highest level of support is not there. For teams to operate at a profit they need the support of the business community and local business advertising. Buffalo doesn't have a strong business community that can support a team towards a profit. This is the primary reason both Quebec City and Winnipeg lost their teams and why Minnesota and Denver lost their first teams.

And how many of those fans would show up if the Sabres didn't have the cheapest tickets in the league?

And I have been to Buffalo.

Suddenly you shift your argument of lack of support from the ordinary fan to businesses not supporting the team. Yes, fans in Buffalo would support the team if ticket prices went up but our current owner is smarter than that. Did you ever consider that Mr. Golisano owns another business and it may be to his advantage for the Sabres to operate at a deficit?? Give it serious thought because it happens all the time in the world of professional sports!

My original post was not about the Sabres, it was a general statement that the Buffalo area (this includes some of Ontario) is a hockey crazy area.

Hope you have fun with the rest of your life.

Archived