Nigeria Gives Up Fifa Under-17 Tournament

The host of the 2009 under-17 World Cup is unclear after Fifa confirmed that Nigeria wants to pull out of hosting the event.

The world body must now decide whether to help finance the west African country or look elsewhere.

Fifa executive committee member Chuck Blazer says their leader Sepp Blatter is committed to holding the youth World Cup in Africa.

"I think he (Blatter) is going to continue to work to see whether they can find an appropriate alternative there first," Blazer said.

Fifa said in a statement that Nigeria "is no longer in a position to provide its support for the organization of the tournament."

The Nigerian government and football officials were at the Fifa headquarters in Zurich this week to explain their situation.

Nigeria President Umaru Yar'Adua had already said that funding the $30 million budget was not a priority.

Six cities are in line to stage matches but all need work to upgrade stadiums and infrastructure.

Despite Nigeria's reluctance in hosting the event, Blazer, who represents the Concacaf region, said Mexico is ready if needed.

"They have offered themselves and we are very proud of the fact," Blazer said.

"They have a very good and ready infrastructure."

I remember a certain Nigerian and Canadian duo saying they would host this competition and the Commonwealth games successfully. I wonder what they have to say now :rolleyes:

Without sounding arrogant but South Africa has 6 non world cup stadia that could host matches.

Cape Town: Athlone Stadium 35,000, Newlands 50,000 Danie Craven 17,000

Durban: Kings Park 55,000

Soweto: Orlando stadium 40,000

PE: EPRFU stadium 30,000

many more.

Nigeria President Umaru Yar'Adua had already said that funding the $30 million budget was not a priority.

A drop in the ocean if you really want to host bigger and better things.

But if the Nigerian government feel the money could be better spent elsewhere I won't criticise their decision.

A drop in the ocean if you really want to host bigger and better things.

But if the Nigerian government feel the money could be better spent elsewhere I won't criticise their decision.

Actually that BBC 30 million dollars is totally FALSE . Try 330 million as the budget forwarded to the Presidency of Nigeria for the U17 2009. There is a LOC Local Organizing Committee that is separate from the Government per Fifa rules . Since this announcement that the Nigeria Government will not fund the U 17 that budget has gone down to about half. It has been revealed that Fifa is paying for the additional broadcast equipment needed and that has been subtracted from the budget by the LOC. The pricing for this "broadcast equipment" has been shown to be highly inflated. Basically the Country has seen enough of the CAF/ Fifa appointed LOC. Last year the Government wanted to replace this group. Probably as they saw Fraud being the end result of hosting if this LOC was in control.

Many of the Nigerian Cities vying for a hosting venue have renovation exercises well underway out of state funds. Some have Stadiums Complete for renovations. Two stadiums are having Astroturf installed on Fifa's dime. I met the man from Germany in charge of Fifa's donation of astroturf for one of these stadiums while I visited Abuja last June.

A Nigerian friend of mine in the Nigeria Sports Federation has told me the reaction to the 330 million dollar budget was totally supportive of the Presidents Decision .

This is from a Bureaucrat in the Sports Ministry who's vested interest would naturally be to host the tournament. They believe it should be 25 to 35 percent of the 330 million . I personally think that is overly generous considering that would be 90 million dollars for maybe 300 to 400 personal in the tournament, Travel and Lodging.

THE LOC Budget presented a budget for Upgrades to Abuja National Stadium which is highly suspect. Jack Warner himself classified that stadium as way beyond what Fifa wants for the U17. Not only do you have a 5 year old stadium in good condition the Stadium Management had new Turf relayed two months ago for Fifa Play by the Super Eagles.

The City of Warri in the Nigeria Delta Warner classified as a city with better hospital facilities then most Canadian Cities he inspected for the U20 2007 tournament. Personally I find that hard to believe but the reason Warri has a world class hospital is simple . one of the Major Multinational Oil Companies is the major contributor of funds to the hospital that there employees use. This includes both Ex pat and Nigerian employees. Warri certainly was a very long shot to host simply because of the Location .

The LOC budget in Nigeria has been soundly rejected in the Nigerian Press by many domestic sports figures including Players for Nigerian Teams in the Past that recalled how they played in Saint John New Brunswick for the very same U 17 Tournament for 1987. The Words "Secondary School Field" were quoted of a Nigerian Player for that Era. I know the Place he is talking of which was the main athletics field for the Canada Games when it was held in Saint John New Brusnwick. It is on the campus of a Community College.

jim jones

It's probably unfair of me to find this news amusing, but given the rhetoric we've heard so often about Nigeria's alleged capabilities here, I can't help but find it absolutely hilarious.

Hey I will not slam you for finding it amusing because I am going to truly have the very last laff when Glasgow has to return the commonwealth games to the federation for rebidding LOL. All the Banks in Scotland are being Nationalized under the UK government and 2010 will certainly cut the funding completely for a Commonwealth Games in Glasgow . that is very apparent with the Delays in construction .

Jim jones

Sorry but me dumb.

Will Nigeria host next year the Fifa Under-27 or not?

If not, should it be considered as a success for Nigeria organisational skills?

I Think the final word has come that Nigeria have thrown it back to Fifa. There is to be an announcement on Wednesday from Fifa in Switzerland on the state of the Tournament.

The Financial Situation of the Country is a 10 billion dollar deficit for 2008 and the price of Oil has the 2009 budget being rapidly scaled back based on a Bench Mark of 45 dollars a Barrel as opposed to 72 dollars a barrel in the 2008 budget. 17 billion Naira (about 144 million US) was spent on the Nigerian Olympic team this year for Beijing 2008 and that is about 50 percent of the budget proposed by the LOC for this tournament. I don't think any country would spend 313 million dollars on U17 so why would Nigeria? Budget Cutting is probably a wise thing to do in Nigeria's case since they have benefited greatly with the Retirement of 32 billion dollars worth of Foreign debt held by the London and Paris Club Creditors.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Nigerian Organizational skills but more with a Totally unreasonable sum of money proposed by the Fifa appointed committee. In the days following the rejection is looking to be a fraud forwarded to a Government as the LOC has cut in Half the Budget. Nigerians are very mindful of their finances and the global economy. This tournament was granted provisionally to Nigeria because of the organization the country had for U 20 1999. Jack Warner classified the 1999 U20 tournament a wonder of the world in regards to the speed that a new Stadium was built in Kano and all other preparations for that tournament.

It certainly hurts Nigeria Credibility going forward but hey does Nigeria or any place really need to host a sports festival ? no not really.

I think there is a 30 percent chance that a Deal will be worked out directly between the Government and Fifa but I also tend to think the Tournament will be moved to Ghana and Nigeria will suffer a two year band from Fifa Play which will include the World Cup.

Jim jones

Hey I will not slam you for finding it amusing because I am going to truly have the very last laff when Glasgow has to return the commonwealth games to the federation for rebidding LOL. All the Banks in Scotland are being Nationalized under the UK government and 2010 will certainly cut the funding completely for a Commonwealth Games in Glasgow . that is very apparent with the Delays in construction .

Except the Commonwealth Games will take place in Glasgow. Given the news about this tournament, I have to come to the conclusion that Abuja would have been in equally big trouble if they had won the bid and you appear unable to address that.

Except the Commonwealth Games will take place in Glasgow. Given the news about this tournament, I have to come to the conclusion that Abuja would have been in equally big trouble if they had won the bid and you appear unable to address that.

so lets think of this Clydeside Bank is a 60 percent partner of the largest Build in the Glasgow 2014 games of the proposed National Arena in Glasgow. Glasgow Council's share is dependent on Land Sales in Glasgow . The Real Estate Market has dried up not providing them with these land sales as developers cannot get loans. Banks in Scotland are about to have massive layoffs in the Thousands. Glasgow along with every major city in Scotland was hit last week for their pension and investment funds with the collapse of the Icelandic Bank to the Tune of a 70 million Pound loss.

Yeah the Commonwealth Games will be held with that an many more problems I read in the daily bulletins from the Scotman I read. Alex Salmond is now having to look to Qatar for huge loans for infrastructure.

Jim jones

pretty simple to Address it . Abuja actually has Venues in place that Glasgow does not . It is 6 years away . No projects for transportation infrastructure have been shelved in The FCT and in fact Land has been cleared by the Private Developer who was to build the Athletes Village . It is now becoming a Sub-division on the Airport Road . Who cares about your conclusion after all we all know the Blind Bias.

Jim jones

Archived