Rugby League World Cup

arwebb

Don't know if anybody's following the tournament which got underway today, and it seems to be passing quite quietly up here so far. Scare for England against Papua New Guinea but we got the result so I'm not too bothered. As long as somebody can tweak those Kangaroo tails.

They did, but at the same time it was the first game of the tournament. The PNG side with tremendous spirit and enthusiasm, as well as skill, and were right up for that game. That was their final. They would have seen that game as their chance to upset the applecart and perhaps nick a semi-final spot themselves. We had to just get the win however it came and we did.

Tony Smith will know better than anybody that we need to improve significantly if we are going to give Australia a decent game in Melbourne next Sunday. However, I'm confident that he has the nouse and the players at his disposal to pull it off and make a big challenge for this tournament. They haven't just gone there to lose meekly in the semis.

• 3 weeks later...
Where are all the gloating kiwis??????

Congratulations New Zealand. Believe it or night, I'm quite glad to see Oz lose this. If there's to be any meaningful international aspect Rugby League, it's great to see Australia not be all-dominant!

Yes Brilliant result for New Zealand! I was bloody stoked

:lol: Such a fugly looking cup!!! - At least it's the orginal RL World Cup! Saved from a rubbish dump of all places!

I just wonder why there is a five year wait 'tween tournaments. Something about the alignment of all the global RL scheduals?

Anyway New Zealand is bidding to host the next one, since there is NOTHING to look foward to in 2013. Most of NZ's major rectangle and oval stadiums are City Council owned, Eden Park I beleive the main the exception. With Union regular season finished by October, November would suit nicley. Probibly won't need so many grounds as well. :)

Archived