And again UNFAIR tactics!

To svenskatiger(?),you said nothing new.We already know in France that Swedishs and others(finnish,norwegian,danish) are dependant from the anglo-saxon culture:look at sven goran Eriksson !!

France has already taken into account that the reprentatives of these countries will vote for London or New York.

And we suggest to them to perform their own way of cooking than tryng to look like english or US cookers.

Why always "Anglo saxon this... Anglo saxon that"....you french are obsessed with racial issues. Can't you just face facts...english is the world language of choice and the USA has been/is the dominant cultural force in the world today. If you guys spent less time worrying about "anglo saxons" and more time sorting out your own cultural baggage then perhaps Europe/the world would be a much happier place.

Nobody in the UK gives a stuff whether you are anglo saxon, latin, scandinavian, germanic etc etc....we don't feel the need to define ourselves in this way. So when you refer to anglo saxons in this disparaging way it falls on deaf ears....because we don't identify ourselves in that way.

regardless of this I would advise you to please try and have some respect for other cultures even if they are more "mainstream" or dare I say it "dominant" than your own.

Get a clue as to what people mean when they say "Anglo-Saxon".

And come up with something better if you don't like it.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To svenskatiger(?),you said nothing new.We already know in France that Swedishs and others(finnish,norwegian,danish) are dependant from the anglo-saxon culture:look at sven goran Eriksson !!

France has already taken into account that the reprentatives of these countries will vote for London or New York.

And we suggest to them to perform their own way of cooking than tryng to look like english or US cookers.

Why always "Anglo saxon this... Anglo saxon that"....you french are obsessed with racial issues. Can't you just face facts...english is the world language of choice and the USA has been/is the dominant cultural force in the world today. If you guys spent less time worrying about "anglo saxons" and more time sorting out your own cultural baggage then perhaps Europe/the world would be a much happier place.

Nobody in the UK gives a stuff whether you are anglo saxon, latin, scandinavian, germanic etc etc....we don't feel the need to define ourselves in this way. So when you refer to anglo saxons in this disparaging way it falls on deaf ears....because we don't identify ourselves in that way.

regardless of this I would advise you to please try and have some respect for other cultures even if they are more "mainstream" or dare I say it "dominant" than your own.

Get a clue as to what people mean when they say "Anglo-Saxon".

And come up with something better if you don't like it.

I assume you mean English Speaking World? Am I right?

As Ripley said, and as I've said before, this is not a term we use apart from when talking about the group of people who settled in England before the Vikings arrived! Why should we know what this term means in your context?

Not only anglo-saxons speakers.There is obviously a world where the anglo-americans are dominant:it is a long trend coming the WWII  where people are more or less coward or dependant from the unique way of thinking ,of living impulsed by US:the best pupils are UK,second are Nordic countries.

Frankly it si not my own opinion,it is fully shared by french people( and more for IRAQ war).I am roughly(I suppose) one of the oldest GBforumers(by age, more than 50 y.o) and this is a constant view from sixties,this is fact not racism !

But why ?

Not only anglo-saxons speakers.There is obviously a world where the anglo-americans are dominant:it is a long trend coming the WWII  where people are more or less coward or dependant from the unique way of thinking ,of living impulsed by US:the best pupils are UK,second are Nordic countries.

Frankly it si not my own opinion,it is fully shared by french people( and more for IRAQ war).I am roughly(I suppose) one of the oldest GBforumers(by age, more than 50 y.o) and this is a constant view from sixties,this is fact not racism !

But why ?

Yeah...well so what? I don't feel anymore "special" than you or any other French person because my forebears happened to be good sailors. I have as much in common with the USA as you do with Quebec....on the face of it a common language but otherwise very different values and way of life.

Anglo saxon is meaningless in this debate.....what you really mean is capitalism.

Why capitalism ? no !

There is an anglo-saxon culture who want to dominate the world by a lot of tools like language,money.....

Thanks God there is now alternative power:China !

LOL....and I suppose that China ins't interested in money and world dominance....China is one of the biggest potential protagonists of American culture....they are lapping it up....more cars, more money, more capitalism!

I just don't agree with you....I don't view france or any other country as being at the mercy of so called Anglo Saxon culture...what I do see is americanisation....which is a different thing. We in the UK are as much a "victim" of this phenomenon as the French. The only reason why we are more comfortable with it is our ability to understand it better due to a common language. I suppose I can understand why the French feel alienated in this way.

However I stand by my opinion that Britian does not represent or advocate a way of life that is dominating other countries such as an anglo saxon culture or way of doing things....for that my friend you have to look across the other side of the Atlantic....not at us or at our supposidley generic ethnicity.

Deja vu of '96?

If everyone recalls, Atlanta was a huge long shot to get the Centennial Olympics. Everyone was saying Athens or, if not them, Toronto. No one thought Atlanta had a chance. Look who ended up with the Games!

16 years later, same story. Instead substitute Paris for Athens and London for Toronto and NYC for Atlanta.

Will lightning strike twice??? All of us in the US hope so. We're the only non-European country vying for these games and the European community is quite split. The rest of the world will decide and the majority of them, according to polls from  Rome and Berlin, favor NYC by a slim margin over London. Paris was 4th and no one voted for Moscow.

A sign of things to come...

Deja vu of '96?

If everyone recalls, Atlanta was a huge long shot to get the Centennial Olympics. Everyone was saying Athens or, if not them, Toronto. No one thought Atlanta had a chance. Look who ended up with the Games!

16 years later, same story. Instead substitute Paris for Athens and London for Toronto and NYC for Atlanta.

Will lightning strike twice??? All of us in the US hope so. We're the only non-European country vying for these games and the European community is quite split. The rest of the world will decide and the majority of them, according to polls from  Rome and Berlin, favor NYC by a slim margin over London. Paris was 4th and no one voted for Moscow.

Lightning never strikes twice, and to be honest, I think New York might go out first or second. No offence made, just my own predictions after looking at the current standings.

Yes, the European support is split, and that's why I think the IOC would like to see an exciting run-off on the same continent.

The other problem of this "Anglo-Saxonisation" that the French are so worried about may also extend to the IOC. If they give it to London, and they suspect the USA and Canada will put forward bids for 2016, 4 out of 6 Olympic Games (1996-2016) would have been held in English speaking countries, and that may be a decisive factor in voting for Paris or Madrid.

Chirac is a vile man and Tony Blair has shown him up by refusing to retaliate. I think most of us have drawn our own conclusions of this arrogant pig in the last few weeks.

I have to laugh though....did he really think about the timing of what he said. I have a feeling that a few of the Gleneagles cooks will be using a different kind of tool to mix his soup in the kitchens. Enjoy your meal Mr Chirac. LOL

Oops, sorry Robert Henson, I should have spotted this before I posted my bit of nonsense. I think you are absolutely right - Chirac and the entire French bid should be censured for this jingoistic, adolescent outburst from a 'world leader'. But not before the moron is allowed to open his gob a few more times, as others have noted...

Every little helps.

Now I'm just off for some fillet steak and chips. With curry sauce.  :shocked:

It seems maybe Chirac is a liability. Keep him locked up. Insulting England, and Finland... before an IOC vote? He has outdone himself here.

True....

There's no need for Tony Blair to be in Singapore.

The way Chirac is carrying on, he is doing far more to help London win the games.

IMHO, I don't think that quitting the meeting before the votes will help either.

Deja vu of '96?

Lightning never strikes twice, and to be honest, I think New York might go out first or second. No offence made, just my own predictions after looking at the current standings.

Yes, the European support is split, and that's why I think the IOC would like to see an exciting run-off on the same continent.

The other problem of this "Anglo-Saxonisation" that the French are so worried about may also extend to the IOC. If they give it to London, and they suspect the USA and Canada will put forward bids for 2016, 4 out of 6 Olympic Games (1996-2016) would have been held in English speaking countries, and that may be a decisive factor in voting for Paris or Madrid.

Who says lightning can't strike twice?

It seems maybe Chirac is a liability. Keep him locked up. Insulting England, and Finland... before an IOC vote? He has outdone himself here.

True....

There's no need for Tony Blair to be in Singapore.

The way Chirac is carrying on, he is doing far more to help London win the games.

IMHO, I don't think that quitting the meeting before the votes will help either.

An unfortunate thing called the G8 summit. Not that important really.

Archived