And again UNFAIR tactics!

What's really funny is that we're not really that bothered in the UK anyway.

There's no such thing as 'British' cuisine and 'English' stuff isn't exactly the most exciting thing in the world.

Which is why it's a good thing that in London there's a restaurant for pretty much every taste that you can want.  You want French - we've got French overhere.  You want Greek - there's plenty of those here as well.

The only reason this has even become a vague issue here is just because Chirac is having dinner with the Queen later on this week - and it's just nasty to say somewhere is rubbish just before you're about to eat what they've cooked for you.

Chirac is NEVER going to be the most popular person in the UK.

I dont know for sure, but i think the cuisine award of MICHELIN went thisw year to a british chef,

Congrats  :;):

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

....And to think Mr & Mrs Blair sent him a photo of Leo when he was a wee baby, thinking the Chiracs were their friends.

I tell you, you have to watch your back these days, you could find a somebody ready to stab you with a 6inch Carving knife.

On topic;

Bangers 'n' Mash

Lancashire Hotpot

Yorkshire Pudding

Cottage Pie

All tasty, scrumptious English Dishes.

..but I tell you, there's nothing better than a Bakewell Tart to finish with!!   :grinning:

If food is a so important factor to win the election, I think that NYC will host the games. OK, it has horrific food, but Mcdonald's is a so very important Olympic partner... :upside:

Wow, what an ignorant statement.

McDonald's isn't even NYC based, or whatever you think. It is based in Midwestern USA. It's a worldwide chain, you know.

You obviously haven't been to a NYC restaurant.

We have some of the best food in the world.

You just dug yourself into a deep hole with that comment.

French President Jacques Chirac is reported to have cracked jokes about British food at a meeting with the German and Russian leaders.

French newspaper Liberation says Gerhard Schroeder and Vladimir Putin laughed and joined in the banter.

"One cannot trust people whose cuisine is so bad," it quotes Mr Chirac as saying, within earshot of reporters.

A French government spokesman declined to comment on the report, which comes days before the G8 summit in Scotland.

The three men met on Sunday for celebrations to mark the 750th anniversary of the founding of Kaliningrad, formerly known as Koenigsberg, an exclave of Russia surrounded by Poland and Lithuania.

"The only thing they (the English) have ever done for European agriculture is mad cow disease," Mr Chirac said, according to the newspaper's report.

"After Finland, it is the country with the worst food."

Link

This behaivour is clearly unethical and Paris should be reprimanded

:laugh:

It is just a rumor. By the way, the Finnish food is good.

With all my respect to you, I think that you are not in a good position to speak about UNFAIR tactics...

If food is a so important factor to win the election, I think that NYC will host the games. OK, it has horrific food, but Mcdonald's is a so very important Olympic partner... :upside:

Wow, what an ignorant statement.

McDonald's isn't even NYC based, or whatever you think. It is based in Midwestern USA. It's a worldwide chain, you know.

We have some of the best food in the world.

You just dug yourself into a deep hole with that comment.

I agree....what a stupid thing to say....all I can say afeter reading this thred is COME ON LONDON!!!!!...PLEASE SAVE US FROMG PARIS AND MADRID!

Hey, guess what...

I've just seen Jamie Oliver "Le Chef Nu" on French TV!!

He's making something to educate people in France to cook!!!

PUKKA!!
It is just a rumor. By the way, the Finnish food is good.

With all my respect to you, I think that you are not in a good position to speak about UNFAIR tactics...

Someone's missed the point methinks. To quote one of the greatest comedies of all time:

Edmund: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?

Baldrick: Yeah, it's like goldy & bronzy, only it's made of iron.

:D

The French supporters on here make me want a London and Madrid games even more than I already did. They can`t even come and say what Chirac said was unaceptable. Then, they go and attack London for what 2 Australians say about the Stade De France. No wonder Sweden has more connection with U.K. than mainland Europe.

To adopt the London reasoning about the London consultant speaking at a London press conference: Chirac's not under contract to Paris 2012.

French President Jacques Chirac is reported to have cracked jokes about British food at a meeting with the German and Russian leaders.

French newspaper Liberation says Gerhard Schroeder and Vladimir Putin laughed and joined in the banter.

"One cannot trust people whose cuisine is so bad," it quotes Mr Chirac as saying, within earshot of reporters.

A French government spokesman declined to comment on the report, which comes days before the G8 summit in Scotland.

The three men met on Sunday for celebrations to mark the 750th anniversary of the founding of Kaliningrad, formerly known as Koenigsberg, an exclave of Russia surrounded by Poland and Lithuania.

"The only thing they (the English) have ever done for European agriculture is mad cow disease," Mr Chirac said, according to the newspaper's report.

"After Finland, it is the country with the worst food."

Link

This behaivour is clearly unethical and Paris should be reprimanded

:laugh:

How to make friends and influence people indeed.

It hasn't been denied.

Chirac jokes about British food

The French supporters on here make me want a London and Madrid games even more than I already did. They can`t even come and say what Chirac said was unaceptable. Then, they go and attack London for what 2 Australians say about the Stade De France. No wonder Sweden has more connection with U.K. than mainland Europe.

To adopt the London reasoning about the London consultant speaking at a London press conference: Chirac's not under contract to Paris 2012.

Hes Paris' biggest cheerleader. And I heard today that this was the major talking point in the IOC hotel. It seems maybe Chirac is a liability. Keep him locked up. Insulting England, and Finland... before an IOC vote? He has outdone himself here.

Hes Paris' biggest cheerleader. And I heard today that this was the major talking point in the IOC hotel. It seems maybe Chirac is a liability. Keep him locked up. Insulting England, and Finland... before an IOC vote? He has outdone himself here.

Did you attend to the meeting ?

Don't you think it is a rumor launched by the anti-Paris 2012's ?

I agree he is a turd. But he's not under contract to Paris 2012, and according to the rules established here by London 2012 after their directly Olympic-related attacks on Paris SdF.

Well Chirac is making news on his arrival in Singapore and its not about the Bid or the vote.

From the Times Online

Chirac quips upstage his Olympic sales drive

President Jacques Chirac's ill-timed jokes about British cooking came back to bite him on the derriere today as he arrived in Singapore to press Paris's case to host the 2012 Olympics.

The French President found a scrum of reporters and television crews waiting for him as he arrived at the city-state's famous Raffles Hotel a day before the International Olympic Committee chooses between Paris and close rival London.

Unfortunately, no one was interested in M Chirac's views on the Olympic contest. "Did you make disparaging remarks about Britain?" asked one journalist. "Do you like ’rosbif’, Mr President?" shouted another.

Well I have to agree with Egon Ronay...

UK food critic Egon Ronay accused the French president of being "ill-informed" for his attacks on British cuisine.

"A man full of bile is not fit to pronounce on food," Mr Ronay added.

First time I went to NYC, I ate in a Mcdonald's in teh 5th Avenue, hahaha. Sorry, but I don't like American food.

Anyway, of course you have the best food of the world in NYC: Italian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, Spanish and Thai restaurants, etc.

Perhaps Chirac will choke on his meal at Gleneagles....I don't think many people will be rushing to perform the heimlich meneuver on him!

This is a total side show, but I don't think Chirac is well liked and he is now indelibly associated with failure and arrogance....these are things which the IOC members will not be impressed by and this will also be in the back of their minds as Chirac gives the Paris presentation. Arrogance lost Paris the 1992 vote and contributed to its lack lustre 2008 result. I think I would be worried about Chirac if I was a Paris 2012 supporter.

First time I went to NYC, I ate in a Mcdonald's in teh 5th Avenue, hahaha. Sorry, but I don't like American food.

Anyway, of course you have the best food of the world in NYC: Italian restaurants, Chinese restaurants, Spanish and Thai restaurants, etc.

Do you believe that McDonald's represents American Cuisine?

To svenskatiger(?),you said nothing new.We already know in France that Swedishs and others(finnish,norwegian,danish) are dependant from the anglo-saxon culture:look at sven goran Eriksson !!

France has already taken into account that the reprentatives of these countries will vote for London or New York.

And we suggest to them to perform their own way of cooking than tryng to look like english or US cookers.

To svenskatiger(?),you said nothing new.We already know in France that Swedishs and others(finnish,norwegian,danish) are dependant from the anglo-saxon culture:look at sven goran Eriksson !!

France has already taken into account that the reprentatives of these countries will vote for London or New York.

And we suggest to them to perform their own way of cooking than tryng to look like english or US cookers.

So where will France`s votes come from? maybe some in Europe and Afrika? Paris is at risk of going out early, and according to the poll in la liberation, most french people think Londres will win tomorrow.

well when I went to Spain I hated the food....I would take NYC food anyday over that garbage.....

Why always "Anglo saxon this... Anglo saxon that"....you french are obsessed with racial issues. Can't you just face facts...english is the world language of choice and the USA has been/is the dominant cultural force in the world today. If you guys spent less time worrying about "anglo saxons" and more time sorting out your own cultural baggage then perhaps Europe/the world would be a much happier place.

Nobody in the UK gives a stuff whether you are anglo saxon, latin, scandinavian, germanic etc etc....we don't feel the need to define ourselves in this way. So when you refer to anglo saxons in this disparaging way it falls on deaf ears....because we don't identify ourselves in that way.

regardless of this I would advise you to please try and have some respect for other cultures even if they are more "mainstream" or dare I say it "dominant" than your own.

Archived