'no God' Slogans For London's Buses?

Mainad

'No God' slogans for city's buses

Bendy-buses with the slogan "There's probably no God" could soon be running on the streets of London.

The atheist posters are the idea of the British Humanist Association (BHA) and have been supported by prominent atheist Professor Richard Dawkins.

The BHA planned only to raise £5,500, which was to be matched by Professor Dawkins, but it has now raised more than £36,000 of its own accord.

It aims to have two sets of 30 buses carrying the signs for four weeks.

The complete slogan reads: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

As the campaign has raised more than anticipated, it will also have posters on the inside of buses as well.

The BHA is also considering extending the campaign to cities including Birmingham, Manchester and Edinburgh.

Professor Dawkins said: "Religion is accustomed to getting a free ride - automatic tax breaks, unearned respect and the right not to be offended, the right to brainwash children.

This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion

Professor Richard Dawkins

"Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side.

"This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion."

Hanne Stinson, chief executive of the BHA, said: "We see so many posters advertising salvation through Jesus or threatening us with eternal damnation, that I feel sure that a bus advert like this will be welcomed as a breath of fresh air.

"If it raises a smile as well as making people think, so much the better."

But Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said: "Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large.

I should be surprised if a quasi-religious advertising campaign like this did not attract graffiti.People don't like being preached at. Sometimes it does them good, but they still don't like it."

However the Methodist Church said it thanked Professor Dawkins for encouraging a "continued interest in God".

Spirituality and discipleship officer Rev Jenny Ellis said: "This campaign will be a good thing if it gets people to engage with the deepest questions of life."

She added: "Christianity is for people who aren't afraid to think about life and meaning."

Feedom of speech and opinion is always to be welcomed but I just hope this doesn't attract another wave of bus bombings from religious fanatics a la July 7 2007.The last thing London needs are more security worries in the run up to 2012!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm

Great idea.

The worst they'll attract is grafitti in my opinion Mainad; and if someone wants to bomb a bus, they'll try to bomb one regardless of a poster on the side of it. And people who don't spend their day trying to figure out ways of bombing a bus, won't suddenly feel the urge to do so from these fairly benign ads.

I gave a small amount - not because I want to stop people practicing religion privately, but because after the unwarrented relgious interference in debates on stem-cell research etc I thought it was about time those of us who don't want someone else's fictional deity having a say in our affairs were counted. Luckily, our Parliament is relatively deaf to most religious arguments in scientific debates and for that to continue non-relgious voices need to be heard.

Incidentally, they've now got over ten times their target figure. You have to ask yourself why people are giving so generously to this cause which isn't healing sick children but is merely plastering ads on the side of busses. I think there are a lot of people worried by creeping relgious interference in political / scientific debates and want to show their hand.

http://www.justgiving.com/atheistbus

By the way, can I nominate this as quote of the year? Stephen Green of pressure group Christian Voice said "People don't like being preached at." :huh:

No it isn't. At least not considered atheism, which is why the word 'probably' (read "almost certainly") is important in that advert.

From my point of view not believing in God is as much of a 'religion' as not believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster or believing, because of overwhelming evidence, that the sun is quite hot. It's a completely rational positon to take and one I'm comfortable with. It doesn't require faith and it doesn't preoccupy me like a relgious belief would.

Fanatical atheists, if they're not careful, can take on traits of religious people - but then so can people who get full body tattoos of Madonna; some people will always go over the top. Christians are always relgious, atheists can take on religous traits if they become too obsessed - that's where I'd draw the distinction. And before you say it, I don't believe this fairly benign advert crosses that line.

As I said, the reason I'm supportive of this campaign is not necessarily because I want to convert people to atheism but because I don't want religion to be a creeping influence on the state and on political and social decisions - we've seen it happen in parts of America and I don't want to see the same thing here. I think a hither-to silent majority are letting their voices be heard for the first time by giving money to this, and the numbers that have given in such a short space of time suggest there are more people who share these views than I would have guessed, which is great!

No it isn't. At least not considered atheism, which is why the word 'probably' (read "almost certainly") is important in that advert.

From my point of view not believing in God is as much of a 'religion' as not believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster or believing, because of overwhelming evidence, that the sun is quite hot. It's a completely rational positon to take and one I'm comfortable with. It doesn't require faith and it doesn't preoccupy me like a relgious belief would.

Fanatical atheists, if they're not careful, can take on traits of religious people - but then so can people who get full body tattoos of Madonna; some people will always go over the top. Christians are always relgious, atheists can take on religous traits if they become too obsessed - that's where I'd draw the distinction. And before you say it, I don't believe this fairly benign advert crosses that line.

As I said, the reason I'm supportive of this campaign is not necessarily because I want to convert people to atheism but because I don't want religion to be a creeping influence on the state and on political and social decisions - we've seen it happen in parts of America and I don't want to see the same thing here. I think a hither-to silent majority are letting their voices be heard for the first time by giving money to this, and the numbers that have given in such a short space of time suggest there are more people who share these views than I would have guessed, which is great!

It does require faith because faith is by definition unwavering belief in something without evidence to support it. It requires the same leap to become an atheist as it does to become a theist. The supposed 'proof' for each is paper thin at best.

It is completely different to believe in something like the theory of evolution and to be an atheist. One has concrete evidence that points to conclusion, whereas atheism jumps to a conclusion and there is no concrete evidence to support it. Evolution and the existence of a supreme being are not connected and can exist together or apart.

It is completely different to believe in something like the theory of evolution and to be an atheist. One has concrete evidence that points to conclusion, whereas atheism jumps to a conclusion and there is no concrete evidence to support it..

The onus isn't on atheists to prove their stance, it's on people who believe in God to. Evolutionary scientists have proven their point, thiests haven't.

If a friend said to you there was a flying spaghetti monster on the outskirts of pluto the onus would be on them to provide proof, not on you to disprove it. If you didn't get proof you'd be perfectly happy to say "I don't believe there is a flying spaghetti monster on the outskirts of pluto". People would think you'd be mad if you just took your friend's word with no evidence.

As far as I'm concerned this is a perfect analogy for God. Whilst there may be an infintessimally small chance of there being a flying spaghetti monster, saying "I don't believe there is a flying spaghetti monster" is a perfectly reasonable stance to take.

If someone asked me do I believe in such a monster I'd say "no". I wouldn't say "I'm agnostic as to the existance of such a being because there's a infintessimally small chance of it existing." If me saying "no" is indeed a leap of faith as you say it is Faster, it's infinitely smaller than the leap of faith required to believe in such a being.

Same with God. The leap of faith required not to believe in God is nowhere near big enough to say "atheism is in itself a religion". Not even close.

Anyway, as I said, I'm comfortable with my stance and am not supporting this campaign becuase I want to convert religious people to atheism. I'm supporting it for reasons I've made clear in my other post.

If we accept religions having the right to put forward their messages, then similar rights have to be extended to non-believers. It is not something that I would necessarily support financially, but there is absolutely no way that something like this should somehow be suppressed.

Just gone over £100,000

Sorry...what has?

Rob,are the buses already running in London?

I think the problem with all of this is that instead of people seeking out the information (both theist and atheist) its being pushed in peoples faces. I mean atheist groups I have seen are just as bad in pushing their believes as Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons.

I am against all forms of missionary work and think much of it absolutely despicable in that some groups deny aid unless the receivers allow themselves to be preached at and in some even worse cases are forced to convert from their own set of believes to the aid groups before aid will be given. Also the use of religious things like Christmas as a form of aid, I always laugh at the song, 'Do they know its Christmas?' and I respond in my head, 'Do they care its Christmas?' I mean Christians are not the only bad group, Islam does preach conversion in a lot harsher of a tone than does Christianity, especially in literal readings of the Qur'an.

I think the problem with any group that tries to answer a metaphysical question is that they unquestioningly believe they are right. And just like with nationalism, once-sided belief leads to conflict.

Do I believe that there is metaphysics, obviously, but I also believe too much emphasis is placed on meaning and purpose.

I am personally an apathetic agnostic, because it is the most logical path to take. There are things that can not be explained within the realm of pure science and in that void is religion but to believe in 1 almighty, omnipresent begin is laughable but it doesn't mean there isn't different levels of existence but the belief that there is nothing is also leaves me wanting. And without knowledge there can be no truth and neither possess true knowledge and therefore no truth, therefore taking a stance that without knowledge there can not be an answer is more logical than picking a side. I am apathetic because I do believe that if there is something more or something on a difference leave of conscientiousness I highly doubt they would be conserned with the everyday workings of you and I, just like we have no concern for ants.

Religion also bugs me because it puts a hierarchy to live and beings, something that a firm believer in evolution I can not accept. Humans are not the masterpiece of evolution and things will continue to evolve long after we are gone. But in the next breath their is a dichotomy to this, in that as a species we should be primarily concerned with our own survival and well-being above all others because that is how natural works. Humans are apart of natural, not a part from it and that belief has lead to devastation that has lead much of the environment to waste.

Anyways that is my religious ramblings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived